Spelling and grammar... where has it gone?

• Thread starter 1971
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

I figured this might be a good area to post this topic. :) Do people who smoke, in general, not know how to spell, write, or use the search function? :)

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
I think most of us don't care, as long as people understand whats try'n to be communicated in the message whats the big deal if it's spelled wrong lol. Just say'n bro.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I think most of us don't care, as long as people understand whats try'n to be communicated in the message whats the big deal if it's spelled wrong lol. Just say'n bro.

Agreed.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm... I've never considered the question that way. For me it's always been, "How can someone who's graduated high school, let alone ostensibly 'college' speak and/or spell in that manner?" Using search to search on misspelled words is a pedant's worst nightmare.

When I get on my oldest son, he just tells me people don't care about that sort of thing anymore. The younger boy I can understand, he's just never been very good at that sort of thing, but the older one I thought knew how to spell. It turns out I was sadly mistaken.

When I was a kid I used to read the dictionary while eating breakfast.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can only speak for myself. When I see what resembles little more than a string of jibberish, I hit the back button and read elsewhere.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I guess we all see things differently. I will admit i'm not well educated but i had no problem reading that paragraph. I did not write that by the way. I was just posting that because it seemed relevant to the thread.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I just type fast, not that well at times, and do not go back and correct spelling most of the time.

Tex

Blaze

Blaze

It's not people who smoke that cannot spell well, it is people in general. Literacy and independent thinking has seriously declined in the USA. Many graduating seniors cannot write or read proficiently and this number continues to rise. We truly are becoming a nation of idiots.

In fact one third of children in California will not even finish high school, and it is estimated that somewhere between 25-40% of American children will have their education careers imperiled because they cannot read well. In addition, 44 million adults in the U.S. can't read well enough to read a simple story, which is nearly 1 in 6 adults.

The scary thing is this problem is getting worse, not better. In fact I have seen a definite trend in this country where people seem PROUD of their ignorance. I see sooo many people now who are totally distrustful of the education system and place zero importance on reading, writing, critical thinking, or science. Somehow being able to read and write well and understand science is now seen as "elitist" by many. Not only that but there is a growing anti-science movement in this country being pushed by the religious right. At the rate we are going by the time I am my parents age I fully expect there to no longer be an education system in this country, and people who are articulate and educated will be far and few between, even more so than now.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

fat lazy americans. want everything done for us. so why search, or spell for that matter. just start a new post, ask a question, get back to the video games while we wait for someone to figure our problems out for us... i mean, im an american. why should i have to do the work? ill just hire an asian to figure it out for me and then pay a mexican to do the work for me. then ill retire on the beach somewhere... also, remember, it doesnt take a ged to grow pot. and there isnt a test people have to pass to use the internet. its the wild west

and im proud to be an american, where at least i know... something... i forget... what was it?... oh yeah... im free.

i think...

if youre not offended, youre not paying attention, no offense...

coloradochem

coloradochem

Arocdnicg to rsceearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pcale. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit pobelrm. Tihs is buseace the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

luhganig my fckunig ass off

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
I do think it is sad when folks cannot read or write, my comment was directed at those of us who just use slang or short form or are to lazy ta go back and fix our mistakes lol.

Venom818

Venom818

+1 if you want perfect grammar go to a grammar forum,im more worried about growing some kill than spelling.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

BRAWNDO!!!!! It's got what plants crave!

and youre right venom... growing weed is science, n scientists have always been known for having less than satisfactory language and communication skills

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
or use the search function? :)

true dat

wrod

I type like Im dyslexic - Im an ok speller - but suck ass at typing = my brain gets way ahead of my fingers

I use spell check in almost every post

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter

Mostly this!

When I get on my oldest son, he just tells me people don't care about that sort of thing anymore. The younger boy I can understand, he's just never been very good at that sort of thing, but the older one I thought knew how to spell. It turns out I was sadly mistaken.

Your oldest son is right! I still try tho :)

I just type fast, not that well at times, and do not go back and correct spelling most of the time.

Tex

Some of this too...

I figured this might be a good area to post this topic. :) Do people who smoke, in general, not know how to spell, write, or use the search function? :)

Search function sucks! I never find anything that way. Am missing something with it?

Oh yeah I was soo high the other day I couldn't remember how to spell anything...still looked up the words I was having trouble with and corrected them but I almost said screw it and let it ride based on the fact people would figure it out. English was my weekest subject

fred

LOL! I really didn't expect anybody to reply and it was a bit tongue in cheek. I should have worded it better to explain how hard it can be to understand what a person is trying to ask, or convey, in their post.

It is shocking how badly people spell, especially in this day and age. I am certainly no word smith nor very good at grammar, but some people on here seem utterly retarded. Honestly, how can you build a good grow room, master nutrients and the nuances associated with growing, yet not be able to spell nor catch your consistent spelling mistakes on such simple stuff?

Really though, I was just poking fun at those who seem, or are, a bit moronic.

There should be a section to post classically stupid questions... possibly like mine. :)

So I am running 6k worth of lights in my 6x10 room and I'm experiencing heat problems. Will running a 400cfm fan help? LOL.

does anyone know at what pH I should be running my hydro setup? I did a search and was unable to find anything. ;)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
There should be a section to post classically stupid questions... possibly like mine. :)

^^^ you touched on one thing there bro

this is in the worng place - moving it to the smolers lounge

Top Bottom