Spider Farmer SF1000 kit review!

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

You get used to reading your plants. I've been using promix hp for a couple years now. Its mainly peatmoss and perlite, with some lime.

In my 3 gallon pots, a single plant filling a 3x3 in flower dries it out pretty quick. The pot is light, the medium is dry. In veg, it takes 2 or 3 days to dry the medium. You still can daily water in veg, if you water to waste. It's just a waste of nutrients in my opinion when the medium is still wet. 👍

I do want to try a soil medium some time. I am just totally ignorant about what it takes. Always been a hydro guy.

growsince79

growsince79

Pro Mix disagrees and suggests waiting til much drier.

They have another article i couldnt find this time with pics of dry tan looking media as an example of when to water.
I'm trying promix hpcc for the first time. I have 2 very small girls in 2 gal starting flower. watering every other day. Maybe I'll start watering one every day and compare.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You get used to reading your plants. I've been using promix hp for a couple years now. Its mainly peatmoss and perlite, with some lime.

In my 3 gallon pots, a single plant filling a 3x3 in flower dries it out pretty quick. The pot is light, the medium is dry. In veg, it takes 2 or 3 days to dry the medium. You still can daily water in veg, if you water to waste. It's just a waste of nutrients in my opinion when the medium is still wet. 👍

I do want to try a soil medium some time. I am just totally ignorant about what it takes. Always been a hydro guy.

for me in my set up it needs water exactly tje same as ocean forest with 25% more large perlite added.

About a week for seedlings and young veg transplanted up from cups to 1 gallon then 3 gallons final at about 2- 3 days between watering at peak flower.

But under t-5 flourescents for veg and 2 600 w hps in flower room.

I only linked the article from pro mix because you and @Rootbound made it sound like coco and it isnt at all like that. It holds way more water and nutrients than coco.

also when people say “soil” they still mean soiless peat mix just with amendments.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Do you add extra perlite?

i did this time. But it was smaller perlite like they include. I mixed to about 50/50. It took a day off watering for me. I would leave it alone next time. Didnt make much difference to the plants. The 35% in hp is plenty imo. It seemed low in the bale i got. That and the nutrient charge was much lower than last bale. I had to flush it and replace with dyna grow each transplant.

growsince79

growsince79

I told you that weeks ago when I was explaining my nutrient use... This is promix HP, high porosity. At about mid flower, the plant will use all its retained water in one day. It must be watered daily. In veg you can go 3 days without watering but the growth is slower, like regular dirt growth. Daily watering basically gives you hydroponic growth and prevents excess salt buildup.
So it's drinking about a 1.5 liters a day now, and by mid flower it will drink 4 liters per day if I understand you correctly?

growsince79

growsince79

for me in my set up it needs water exactly tje same as ocean forest with 25% more large perlite added.

About a week for seedlings and young veg transplanted up from cups to 1 gallon then 3 gallons final at about 2- 3 days between watering at peak flower.

I only linked the article from pro mix because you and @Rootbound made it sound like coco and it isnt at all like that. It holds way more water and nutrients than coco.

also when people say “soil” they still mean soiless peat mix just with amendments.
I never thought you could water peat mixes like coco,. Seems like that would be bug heaven. Maybe it only works with sf lights. Idk

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I never thought you could water peat mixes like coco,. Seems like that would be bug heaven. Maybe it only works with sf lights. Idk

Not sf in particular but more transpiration from the newer led lights than my hps. As long as you keep the heat up i guess. My rooms stay under 77 degrees. I would have massive over water issues if i watered like they said.

growsince79

growsince79

Not sf in particular but more transpiration from the newer led lights than my hps. As long as you keep the heat up i guess. My rooms stay under 77 degrees. I would have massive over water issues if i watered like they said.
If I did that method in cocoloco, it would have major overwater problems too. I'm trying promix hpcc with chunky perlite this time. I just watered last night and will do so again tomorrow. But maybe I'll experiment with daily on one. Idk it just sounds so wrong though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If I did that method in cocoloco, it would have major overwater problems too. I'm trying promix hpcc with chunky perlite this time. I just watered last night and will do so again tomorrow. But maybe I'll experiment with daily on one. Idk it just sounds so wrong though.

if it drains better you can water more often. Sounds like you have a super fast draining medium with the cc in there and extra perlite.

I water with a lot of runoff to help clear out calcium and soluble iron buildup from my well water. I know growers who only pour in what the plant will use today and then again tomorrow in ammended soil with conpost. Doesnt matter if its soil or peat or coco. There are many ways to do this stuff.

I was just surprised they said they watered standard pro mix so often to runoff without over watering symptoms.

quite the opposite @BigCube grows amazing plants and @Rootbound grows massive crops for medical patients.

i am definitely not arguing with you great growers i am just debating with my opinion and experience.

BigCube

BigCube

I'm not sure what you mean about making coco sound not like that. All I've ever said is that I water like coco.

I'll just keep doing what I do 🤣
Not sure why everyone wants to make a big deal about it.

growsince79

growsince79

I'm not sure what you mean about making coco sound not like that. All I've ever said is that I water like coco.

I had no idea you could water promix that often. You should do what works for you. This is my first time using it. That's why I'm asking. Have you used the hpcc?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wasnt criticizing what you do i was pointing out that grows can be very different and how my watering in the same medium goes and what the company itself suggests as a guideline.

just so a new grower doesnt assume they can water pro mix so often without over watering the plants.

I also stated this basically in another post.

LordEnki

LordEnki

In that picture the fixture was lifted cause I was working in the tent. Read a few posts in the thread, I explain it. Thanks.
wow. I've read all posts so far... you're kinda a dick in a bunch of your replies to people. just because u say thanks at the end doesn't make u less dick-ish.
have fun.
see what i did there? im still a dick. ;)

BigCube

BigCube

I had no idea you could water promix that often. You should do what works for you. This is my first time using it. That's why I'm asking. Have you used the hpcc?

Yes I have, I run it the exact same.
Been doing it for years, never once had signs of overwatering or bugs.

BigCube

BigCube

I wasnt criticizing what you do i was pointing out that grows can be very different and how my watering in the same medium goes and what the company itself suggests as a guideline.

just so a new grower doesnt assume they can water pro mix so often without over watering the plants.

I also stated this basically in another post.

But they can. If they water properly. I do.

Let's put this in perspective, I NEVER told anyone how to water. I was asked what I do. I answered.

I dont care if you guys think its wrong, I'm not going to change what I've been doing for years, that works and has never exhibited the problems you are talking about.

I am just going to stop answering your guys questions. Every time I give an answer someone is on me about it.

I will no longer answer questions here. If you want to know too bad.
This is a grow diary, you guys are picking apart every little thing I do and telling me howni doing it wrong.

I'd rather you all just not be here, but I cant control that. So I'll start using the ignore button real soon if this keeps up.

Top Bottom