Spider mites. Was planning on flipping with in a week

• Thread starter Willisbrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
This is my second grow with my room full of plants. My first round went really good so I wasn’t very careful with this go round. I harvested my plants in April 24th and put the new round in a day later. I cleaned my tray with bleach and bleached my walls and floors. Did t clean any of my fans(I thought I was okay since last round had zero issues).

I noticed some white spots on my leaves and after closer inspection I noticed that it was spider mites. I sprayed them with neem oil tonight.
My question is, is it worth trying to save this round, or should I scrap them and clean my room and try again? I’m on a time schedule so if I kill this round I won’t be able to start my new grow till November So that’s a king wait.
Here are some pics.
Please let me know what u think I should do.

Thanks.
I've said it a few times before but the best thing I have found for spider mites is "AgroMagen GrowSafe Bio-Pesticide" .. It's organic and extremely safe to use during all growth stages. Won't "burn" your plants like Neem does, either. It works way better than ANYTHING I have ever used. Here in CO spider mites are standard issue with pretty much all gardens, indoors or out.

This stuff isn't the cheapest, but believe me, it's worth every penny. You can even use it during flower, although, I would suggest if you do use it during flower to follow up with a "rinse" a few days after you've treated the plants, because this product is mostly oil, it will leave a slight "deep fryer" smell to your plants, but it washes off very easily. This is because the product is very simple - it's Soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, water and citric acid, just in a unique blend.

Has no harsh chemicals and it's totally safe. I've even used it on industrial hemp that's been lab tested and nothing showed up on the report.

I've seen it entirely eliminate even the worst spider mite infestations with a single application. 2 applications to be safe. Even kills the eggs!!!

You can find it on Amazon if you search for "AgroMagen GrowSafe Bio-Pesticide".

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

This is my second grow with my room full of plants. My first round went really good so I wasn’t very careful with this go round....

I'll keep this as short as possible. Usually I'd say scrap them and start over, but given your time constraints etc,..

1) Spray with spinosad. (Not a "spinosad product", actual 100% spinosad. You can buy it on ebay). [It's not a certified pesticide because they say you shouldn't use it outdoors]
Spray this every two days, at lights out. Repeat this for a week at least if not two. The idea is you want to break the life cycle of the mites by killing the adults, and also the newly hatched eggs before they can mature and lay new eggs.
Drench the plants when you spray, cover all surfaces, under leaves, top of soil and you can water with any left over as it can be taken up by the plant and act systemically also.
Sunlight/uv degrades spinosad so keep it in the dark, in a fridge, use before lights off, and use up any leftovers.
Do this for at least a week, probably two, and then if possible keep repeating every three days throughout all of veg, until you're ready to flip.

2) When you flip, wait 5 - 7 days from after your last spray of spinosad, then introduce a large population of predator mites. Go for overkill, use more than recommended if you can afford to. Phytoseiulus Persimilis & Amblyseius californicus are two effective species of predators. If you don't know where to find suppliers in your region you can look here

That'd be my advice. Good luck 👍

W

Willisbrow

This is the stuff I bought today.
E6C6414F FB65 4F21 92D9 681C4C6377B6

W

Willisbrow

I soaked my plants with the spinosad. I used two table spoons for half a gallon. I took the plants out of the room and sprayed them. Then I put them back in and killed the lights and turned all my fans on. After an hour I turned my lights back on when they were all dry. I will use the dr stuff in three days. And back to the spinosad. If I can’t get rid of them by the end of this month I will scrap this grow and start back up in November. I do t wanna be battling mites during g flower. I would rather not be flowering if the mites are still present. I plant to flip on the 15th. So have the first two weeks of flower to get rid of them.
Thanks for all the reply’s.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

That Monterey stuff says it's only 0.5% Spinosad and 99.5% "other ingredients", so if it doesn't work don't conflate that with actual Spinosad.
Hope it works for you 🤞.
If you decide to commit to flowering them, I'd definitely look into predator mites.
Fingers crossed for you 🤞🤞

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

yeah what King said actual 100% spinosad not a product will small amount of spinosad in it the regulation and use of spinosad is different in US and EU, in EU spinosad is widely used in agriculture and i think there this thing in the US where you have much more products with small amount of spinosad in it than pure 100% spinosad due to different regulation rules.

for exemple you can find small amount of spinosad even in some lice shampoo. so needless to say it's pretty safe for human

Main downside of spinosad being that outdoor it also kill bee.

Last edited:
HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

The notion of not spraying anything on your plants, because sprays always damage plants, is silly.

Yes, you can damage plants when you spray them, but it is not inevitable.
him saying,

"Don't waste your cash on any products for the mites. They won't do the trick and you will more than likely damage the plant which defeats the purpose. Every Spinisad product I've gotten from the grow store has damaged my plants before doing nothing to the mites."

this sentence is also totally silly when everyone in the industry use various products and/or predator to deal with thoose hard to eradicate spidermites

annoyed me the hell out yesterday ...

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

I said that anything that leaves a residue on your plants CAN damage the plants. Cry harder guys.

By all means, let this new grower on his second grow experiment with spinosad products. Thats the perfect way to start of growing. Buying products you don't need, and possibly killing off your plants.

There are many factors that can chance from one persons experience to the other.

I stick by trying to steer a new grower into spending time with his plants rather than spraying them and walking away.

If bro's plants get damaged after he follows your advice, then that's on you guys.

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

I soaked my plants with the spinosad. I used two table spoons for half a gallon. I took the plants out of the room and sprayed them. Then I put them back in and killed the lights and turned all my fans on. After an hour I turned my lights back on when they were all dry. I will use the dr stuff in three days. And back to the spinosad. If I can’t get rid of them by the end of this month I will scrap this grow and start back up in November. I do t wanna be battling mites during g flower. I would rather not be flowering if the mites are still present. I plant to flip on the 15th. So have the first two weeks of flower to get rid of them.
Great idea to wait until the 15th and see how it pans out. Hoping for the best in your case. I will be humbled and surprised if your mite issues go away completely, and you are able to get a proper harvest off.

Good luck.

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

The notion of not spraying anything on your plants, because sprays always damage plants, is silly.

Yes, you can damage plants when you spray them, but it is not inevitable.
Thanks for changing my words around... Never said "always damage plants"....

"can cause damage to your plants" is the exact wording I used.

Clearly nobody went to school here.

Later "Bros", gaslight away.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

my own advice:

the two wall of text you wrote at first don't make you smarter it just make it obvious to everyone how limited is your own experience with growing cannabis and basic, medium and in depth knowledge.

you've said:
"Don't waste your cash on any products for the mites. They won't do the trick and you will more than likely damage the plant which defeats the purpose."

"Spinosad will damage your leaves and destroy your plant if you dont use it in a dilute enough form. And when you dilute it, it just does not work at all, and still may damage your new growth to the point where your plant is now stunted completely."

so you made it sound a lot like pesticide isn't the way to go and don't work ... and you offered no real solution or advice but to reduce the population
you tend assume your own experience as rules of thumb even against things known for long in the industry. don't take it too personnal but i don't know what you did wrong when using spinosad or a product containing small amount of spinosad but most people and professional use pur spinosad diluted safely and efficiently for years.

i'd personnaly once mistaken and used 10X recommanded dose and that didn't burn, kill or slowed growth of my plants.

i don't feel like explaining you why in details but pure spinosad is one of the best first strike choice against some pest due to it's two novel mode of action contact and ingestion (have a look at the spinosad wikipedia page and every other pesticide available on the market and compare you'd be surprised)

speaking of scientific data i think you should spend more time using google as there is already plenty of infos easily available from many renowed source about how to deal with spidermites, for instance things like any renowed and or historical EU breeder blog pages there is tons and they cover a wide range of topic about cannabis, thing like growweedeasy.com

once you'r done with google and as it seem you like scientific stuff give a try at "google scholar" and aim for the latest scientific publications and researchs about cannabis, some article are a tad bit indigest but as it seem your into scientific things, once your done with that "Bro" we may start having some interesting discussions.

Last edited:
chemistry

chemistry

Due to being in veg, my advise would be to find a good brand of insecticidal soap, or make your own, plenty of video's on it online, and spray the shit out of any thing that won't give you an electric shock, then see how you go, if this knocks the numbers down, then let the little bastards have it again, then wing it through flower and deal with the mite problem at the end of your run when you can spray/clean your space, I've flowered from start to finish with a mite problem, be prepared, as some you win and some you lose. 😉

TSD

TSD

And if you don't manage to completely eradicate them or they pop back up in flower, you can always do a bud wash, and if you're not satisfied after that, use it for extractions or something. I always bud wash, being an outdoor grower, dust, pollen, bugs and poo... gotta get that shit off... I don't eat my veg without washing and I don't smoke my buds dirty either lol.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Thanks for changing my words around... Never said "always damage plants"....

"can cause damage to your plants" is the exact wording I used.

Clearly nobody went to school here.

Later "Bros", gaslight away.
Grow the fuck up and stop trying to parse your way out of the fact you said something dumb.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

another thing is there is two main species of spidermites, "Tetranychus urticae" and "panonychus ulmi" and that according to some 2001 and 2006 studies not all acaricides, wich include spinosad, work equally for both species

"panonychus ulmi" is much more resistant

Last edited:
ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

Due to being in veg, my advise would be to find a good brand of insecticidal soap, or make your own, plenty of video's on it online, and spray the shit out of any thing that won't give you an electric shock, then see how you go, if this knocks the numbers down, then let the little bastards have it again, then wing it through flower and deal with the mite problem at the end of your run when you can spray/clean your space, I've flowered from start to finish with a mite problem, be prepared, as some you win and some you lose. 😉
Harsh realities of dealing with mites!

ev.dawgy

ev.dawgy

my own advice:

the two wall of text you wrote at first don't make you smarter it just make it obvious to everyone how limited is your own experience with growing cannabis and basic, medium and in depth knowledge.

you've said:
"Don't waste your cash on any products for the mites. They won't do the trick and you will more than likely damage the plant which defeats the purpose."

"Spinosad will damage your leaves and destroy your plant if you dont use it in a dilute enough form. And when you dilute it, it just does not work at all, and still may damage your new growth to the point where your plant is now stunted completely."

so you made it sound a lot like pesticide isn't the way to go and don't work ... and you offered no real solution or advice but to reduce the population
you tend assume your own experience as rules of thumb even against things known for long in the industry. don't take it too personnal but i don't know what you did wrong when using spinosad or a product containing small amount of spinosad but most people and professional use pur spinosad diluted safely and efficiently for years.

i'd personnaly once mistaken and used 10X recommanded dose and that didn't burn, kill or slowed growth of my plants.

i don't feel like explaining you why in details but pure spinosad is one of the best first strike choice against some pest due to it's two novel mode of action contact and ingestion (have a look at the spinosad wikipedia page and every other pesticide available on the market and compare you'd be surprised)

speaking of scientific data i think you should spend more time using google as there is already plenty of infos easily available from many renowed source about how to deal with spidermites, for instance things like any renowed and or historical EU breeder blog pages there is tons and they cover a wide range of topic about cannabis, thing like growweedeasy.com

once you'r done with google and as it seem you like scientific stuff give a try at "google scholar" and aim for the latest scientific publications and researchs about cannabis, some article are a tad bit indigest but as it seem your into scientific things, once your done with that "Bro" we may start having some interesting discussions.
Don't waste your breath, not reading this. PM me if you got something to say, thanks.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Please let us know how well this worked for you.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Don't waste your breath, not reading this. PM me if you got something to say, thanks.
this is actually the comment you ve just laughed at mister "everyone here but me need to go to school"

OrganiShield is a registered organic biochemical insecticide and miticide. It's active ingredient is a molecule called Sucrose Octanoate Esters (SOE's)

but may be ams.usda.gov isn't a trustable enough source for you ...

Top Bottom