geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Okay then, so much for "unpredictable growth patterns"
----------------------------------------------------------------
> varying yields...not reliable

< Once again: some folks aren't concerned about "varying yields",
some of us like every plant to be different.

I could grow one big tree that would last my wife and myself all year,
but even if it was determined to be the "best plant in the world" by "everybody";
we'd be bored to death after a day or two.

I'd much rather have 30 or 40 smaller plants--
and be able to consume 4 or 5 different kinds a day...

SunGrown

SunGrown

I don't get the attitude bro, you asked, I gave my advice. I have many different varieties growing, and some are only a couple feet tall/wide....I will stay out of your thread now. My apologies, please have a good day, cause it is a good day!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I don't get the attitude bro, you asked, I gave my advice. I have many different varieties growing, and some are only a couple feet tall/wide....I will stay out of your thread now. My apologies, please have a good day, cause it is a good day!

So, no acknowledgment whatsoever that it's not a one way cookie cutter <tm> world;
and there are "facts" for the mass producer--
and "facts for the, uh--
masses...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I think flat stems and other anomalies are cool and fun to see.
.but I wouldnt want a whole garden full of them!:p

Hey Geo; Be cool to Sungrown man...

What do you think is going on here Geo?
Virus?
Badtop

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I don't know what that is.

I've seen a few like it in the past,
but 3 already this year.
Two were in a hill of 3 plants and I "pulled" 'em;
the other's in a hill of two--
and I'm observing it...

spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Very interesting thread with the fasciation and all.. i understand that mutations are implicitly undesirable, but the reason being is because they are at a disadvantage in their environment against its own species and others. Now that is fine and reasonable, concerning natural selection.. But the plants that you love to cultivate are subject to artificial selection.. thier traits are selected in a predetermined environment, with a way higher survival rate... in environments like these certain mutations that would hinder succesful fruition Are rendered neutral. For instance many OG cuts need reinforcement as they are lanky, but that is if little consequence since we tend to and pamper the cannabis plant..that being said i believe mutations such as fasciation or other vegatative focused growth mutations could be rather malleable and nudged to suit a purpose... just my supposition, but why just imagine a thc-viable plant in shrub formation... imagine a vine like plant that still prodyces flowers in the same way,,, perhaps hang it from a pot off the ground... perhaps the colas of flowers will hang off the extremities of the plant to look like lion tails... ahh biology...
Forgive me for i was very high....but just thought id like to share ponderings

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I had to yank a girl who looked a lot like that, but she wasn't girdled by a rabbit, she got hit by mold down at the soil line after our rains week before last.

Very sporting of you not to kill the rabbit!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Bunny

We love our cottontails,
they feel safe and have their young right here.

This is the first plant they've ever bothered,
I'm sure it was a baby bunny that "didn't know any better"--
they usually just eat the grass under the plants...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, now you know they just might try it, so in the future you could just put up a wrap of hardware cloth or some Tanglefoot to prevent problems. :)

It's Hellbunny!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Well, now you know they just might try it, so in the future you could just put up a wrap of hardware cloth or some Tanglefoot to prevent problems. :)

It's Hellbunny!

I do try to keep the rabbits out of the garden from seedling stage 'till the plants are a foot or so tall;
but after 26 years in the same spot,
I don't think one runt plant gettin' used as a teething ring Heh
by one runt bunny is gonna get me all tanglfootin' an' such--
just ain't that big-a-thing Heh...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
"Also, sports (plants or parts of plants carrying and expressing spontaneous mutations) most easily transmit mutant genes to the offspring if they are used as pollen parents. If the parents represent diverse gene pools, hybrid vigor results, because dominant genes tend to carry valuable traits and the differing dominant genes inherited from each parent mask recessive traits inherited from the other. This gives rise to particularly large healthy individuals. To increase hybrid vigor in offspring, parents of different geographic origins are selected since they will probably represent more diverse gene pools."

from
Marijuana Botany
An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis
by Robert Cornell Clarke

================================================================

I really expected to find more Sports this year, just the three mentioned above (plus the alligator-lookin' thing that may or may not have been a virus [the cutting reverted to normal growth and I put it back in the ground,
an eighteen inch Cola de Zorra now]).

I've been averaging twice or three times that many Sports a year;
but this was/is the weirdest growing season ever, on just about every level.
Most Sports usually show-up during the rapid growth/vegetative stage into early flowering, but sometimes they show as seedlings.

"Back in the day", guerrilla planting in North Georgia, I would "superplant" a dozen or so hills.
After the seedlings were comming up, there wasn't much to do besides making sure no critters were munching. I had to leave the D-12-28 down the hill (no music or noise) and when the botany and science fiction got boring I would lay down on my stomach in front of a superplanted hill searching for Sport seedlings while thinning:

SportFishing

Top Bottom