Start Of An Adventure!

• Thread starter Omega734
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Omega734

Omega734

Hey guys this is my first post to this site, been lurking for a while and decided to make a profile finally! Going to be growing a handful of different strains gdp, Chernobyl, Northern lights X skunk, Buddha Tahoe OG, and Girl Scout cookies (thin mint) plan is to do some clones from them once they get big enough, maybe find a mother or two from the bunch.. Maybe more!! Going to be fun, and I will try to keep things posted along the way!

Omega734

Omega734

Very cool to hear justice! Yea I'm interested to see what it puts out! Thin mint gsc was a huge rave here in Cali a few years back when I picked up these beans, hope it lives up too the hype! Thanks for welcome seamaiden! Here's a pic of gdp from a few mins ago!

Omega734

Omega734

Found 2 fungus nats this morning when watering, left my fans on to help dry the top soil and will pick up some mosquito bits on the way home to make sure no larva are in the soil.. Man I hate those things haha

justiceman

justiceman

I hear you man! I recently threw a germinated seed in some coco and the tap root was eaten within 3 days of planting. It takes 3-4 days just for larvae to hatch so there must have been some in there when i bought it. I hate those damn gnats too.

Note: This was Roots Organics coco palms just to let it be known. Doesn't seem as fluffy as canna either

Omega734

Omega734

Well that's a bummer, so far the babies are alright. Hoping I saw them in time, noticed one in the kitchen the other day and killed it.. So I have been hyper vigalint about it.. I killed one of them that I saw this morning but idk where the other one went for the life of me.. I didn't know it takes 3-4 days to hatch them.. Gives me hope I can add the bits to the next watering and hopefully avoid them all together!!

justiceman

justiceman

The bits will take care of the babies. Maybe grab a couple yellow sticky traps for the adults or else they may lay more eggs later. If you don't want to get any traps you can use a small saucer of beer and a bit of dish soap mixed in. They love it and then when they touch down on it they die. It's awesome hahaha. That's how you break the cycle. Kill em from every side.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
The bits will take care of the babies. Maybe grab a couple yellow sticky traps for the adults or else they may lay more eggs later. If you don't want to get any traps you can use a small saucer of beer and a bit of dish soap mixed in. They love it and then when they touch down on it they die. It's awesome hahaha. That's how you break the cycle. Kill em from every side.
I've been using a hair dryer to dry the buggers out my compost had a few I dry the top soil very lightly and give the plants a hit and get the flying ones I'm going to use clay balls n rock wool next grow and see how that medium goes .

Omega734

Omega734

A+ advice guys! Thanks for it, I will try the beer trick and see what happens.. When I get the bits if I see the yellow traps I will pick some up too! As too the Rockwool and clay balls, never done that medium myself. Used to use rock wool for cloning all the time, but I have sense learned the stuff dosnt biodegrade.. So I personally am using other mediums now.. Trying to keep my carbon footprint down haha

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
A+ advice guys! Thanks for it, I will try the beer trick and see what happens.. When I get the bits if I see the yellow traps I will pick some up too! As too the Rockwool and clay balls, never done that medium myself. Used to use rock wool for cloning all the time, but I have sense learned the stuff dosnt biodegrade.. So I personally am using other mediums now.. Trying to keep my carbon footprint down haha
I hear you on the rock wool I'll use the little jiffy pots instead of the rock wool and clean and heat treat the clay balls each grow .good call in the carbon footprint .

Last edited:
justiceman

justiceman

Just to let you know rockwool isn't as bad as you think:
It's made from chalk and basalt rock. They pretty much just melt them together and then spin them into fibers.

It's argued that it doesn't biodegrade but.... that's because it's made of rocks. If you put rocks into a landfill they won't break down either. You're totally right in the sense it takes A LOT of energy to create it.

That being said I'm going to try cloning in coco coir next time I get the chance as I've seen some good results that way.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Just to let you know rockwool isn't as bad as you think:
It's made from chalk and basalt rock. They pretty much just melt them together and then spin them into fibers.

It's argued that it doesn't biodegrade but.... that's because it's made of rocks. If you put rocks into a landfill they won't break down either. You're totally right in the sense it takes A LOT of energy to create it.

That being said I'm going to try cloning in coco coir next time I get the chance as I've seen some good results that way.
Ok cool info man I've just set some cuts straight into the last of my coco pearl mix I'll run that up the flag pole and see if it salutes .

Omega734

Omega734

Right on justice I didn't think about it like that, a rock is a rock to a landfill no matter how it "looks" haha. Yea I clone using areopinics, a home made little cloner. Works almost 100% of the time at first and 100% of the time once you get used to using it.. Just take your cuttings add the nutrients, wait about a week or so pending on tempatures and the strain and you have nicely rooted clones.. No medium needed you can set them right into soil or a hydro or whatever your heart desires lol here is a pic from last year ( I was using Rockwool, but you can just put a stem in the mist and get roots, just takes a little longer) and also a pic of it unloaded haha

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Right on justice I didn't think about it like that, a rock is a rock to a landfill no matter how it "looks" haha. Yea I clone using areopinics, a home made little cloner. Works almost 100% of the time at first and 100% of the time once you get used to using it.. Just take your cuttings add the nutrients, wait about a week or so pending on tempatures and the strain and you have nicely rooted clones.. No medium needed you can set them right into soil or a hydro or whatever your heart desires lol here is a pic from last year ( I was using Rockwool, but you can just put a stem in the mist and get roots, just takes a little longer) and also a pic of it unloaded haha
In the 80's we use to start our outdoor crop doing something similar where we used a poly tray that your meat is set up on at supermarkets punch some holes in so the cutting stem will slide through do your cuts dip in your hormone slide in tray then we would use dads fish tank that had the grow lights for growing his water weeds they float on surface and have water with a air pump going worked well ..... I can see I need to build a Bogan Bubbler ..... Watch this space .

justiceman

justiceman

That little bubble cloner is awesome! I need to try doing some clones that way. Still haven't yet.

Omega734

Omega734

Lol that's awesome one drop, love to hear methods and story's from what I call the "Wild West" of herb growing.. Before forums like this were available and it was something you had to teach yourself or find someone who knew how to grow teach you. Yea justice it's so awesome and painless, I love how you can take your cuttings put the cloner under a light and litter my forget about it for a week and comeback to rooted clones! I will either post a new thread on how to make that one, or add it here. You can buy ones already made on amazon but there in a bucket, I prefer the square style of mine tho + it's cheaper! Also update on the baby's.. Gdp still doing great, Buddha Tahoe popped up! However Girl Scouts has popped up as well but the seed is kinda stuck on its head, hoping she sheads it oh her own lol will post picks tonight!

justiceman

justiceman

@One drop Oops I missed that story above for some reason. Man that's awesome. You guy's were bubbe cloning a long time ago!

@Omega734 I've looked into them before but never liked the price tag. That would be super helpful if you posted a little DIY bubble cloner tutorial. Great Idea.

Top Bottom