Starting A Cultivation Business

• Thread starter Timrogers410
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

I am surprised no one has mentioned the majority of counties in California have out-right banned commercial cultivation. Very few counties actually have a commercial permit process at this point and a local permit if required before you can get a state permit in 2018. Most of the areas that are beginning to allow it have residence requirements. In order words, if you were not already in California, already growing, and already doing so legally, you are probably not going to be able to get a permit for years. The majority of counties and cities that are allowing for commercial cultivation have set up their regulations in such a way to prevent out of area 'green rushers' from moving in an trying to take over the industry.

The other big issues for most people is land use. You have to have the correct zoning - usually either agriculture or industrial, depending on what you are trying to set up and what your local government will allow. Right off the bat this disqualifies most existing grows since very few were set up to be real farms or ranches or business to begin with. On top of that you will still have to deal with the clusterfuck of local and state laws which are contradictory and confusing, high taxes, high fees, compliance with the State Waterboard (some of the most ignorant and incompetent assholes on the entire planet), Fish and Game, etc, etc, etc. It's not cheap, not easy, and even people that have been set up in the industry for years, even decades, and are well established and successful are struggling with it.

Cultivate420

Cultivate420

I'm very curious to this because I'm in the process of starting one myself. I finally found the proper investor and has no problem being silent. He already gave me a upfront sum, so I bought 10 acres that has a 2,000sq ft building for a place to live. Having a greenhouse out on the land as we speak so I'm not limited on when I can run. I'll be in Trinidad Colorado so if you're up that way, that would be awesome

I'm also from Baltimore, born and raised by Patterson park
Are you planning to hire any time soon?

And yes Colorado would be a better option for your investment. If you believe you can, then you can. do not listen to all this negative ass bullshit of people that are too scared to chase their dreams.

I have the thirst to make something out of nothing and that's all you need unlimited desired and faith.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Are you planning to hire any time soon?

And yes Colorado would be a better option for your investment. If you believe you can, then you can. do not listen to all this negative ass bullshit of people that are too scared to chase their dreams.

I have the thirst to make something out of nothing and that's all you need unlimited desired and faith.
Thank you @Cultivate420, it's he only way to live. I retired from the army at 31 yrs old and could never work for someone else. You hear about all these company's that hire vets but it's hard to believe it's true anymore. So what I'll do is make sure I hire veterans and disabled veterans, so they can still live a normal daily life. Granted I'll hire others also but I can never forget about my brothers and sisters.

And also just because someone gets an investor doesn't mean they are selling their sole. Most that have really tried this know that it takes a rather large sum of money to get this up off of the ground. After my first year I won't have an investor anymore as it'll be paid back in full.

Are you up near Trinidad by chance @Cultivate420 ? I'd love to talk sometime

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

FWIW... I'm not advising you against this. Quite the opposite, actually. I hope you do this, and kill it!
I'm hoping, also, that you do this in Colorado. There are lots of commercial grows operating in the Arkansas valley, with more under construction. Land is cheaper here, and we have water. At 38° N, 4,300' elevation and boasting 300 days of sunshine, conditions are ideal for greenhouse or outdoor grows.
A hundred years ago, this was a thriving farm community. But, as machines replace people, rural population declines. Small farms are consumed by corporations, and our young people move away. An industrial slump had left our community struggling, and cannabis seems to be the answer. Our town population had gone from 836, in 1920, down to 248, in 2015. Now, we are close to 300. New companies came in building and hiring. That put books in our schools and products on our shelves. Construction & labor costs less than it would in Cali, because people here need work, but don't have the outrageous cost of living. Among these, there is a pretty good selection of solid veterans.
A friend of mine is a licensed caregiver, with a 100 plant count. He's a Vietnam veteran, and longtime grower. He tends to be a bit jaded, but he's a wealth of knowledge, when it comes to the "who's, what's, when's & where's" that you need to know around here. I'm sure he could answer any licensing, county ordinance, etc type questions.
ISapppbtnhmx3d1000000000

Basically I'm saying, you could buy this house on 160 acres for about $450k. You can buy vacant land for less than $300 an acre. It would be more economically feasible to do it here.

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

FWIW... I'm not advising you against this. Quite the opposite, actually. I hope you do this, and kill it!
I'm hoping, also, that you do this in Colorado. There are lots of commercial grows operating in the Arkansas valley, with more under construction. Land is cheaper here, and we have water. At 38° N, 4,300' elevation and boasting 300 days of sunshine, conditions are ideal for greenhouse or outdoor grows.
A hundred years ago, this was a thriving farm community. But, as machines replace people, rural population declines. Small farms are consumed by corporations, and our young people move away. An industrial slump had left our community struggling, and cannabis seems to be the answer. Our town population had gone from 836, in 1920, down to 248, in 2015. Now, we are close to 300. New companies came in building and hiring. That put books in our schools and products on our shelves. Construction & labor costs less than it would in Cali, because people here need work, but don't have the outrageous cost of living. Among these, there is a pretty good selection of solid veterans.
A friend of mine is a licensed caregiver, with a 100 plant count. He's a Vietnam veteran, and longtime grower. He tends to be a bit jaded, but he's a wealth of knowledge, when it comes to the "who's, what's, when's & where's" that you need to know around here. I'm sure he could answer any licensing, county ordinance, etc type questions.
View attachment 688452
Basically I'm saying, you could buy this house on 160 acres for about $450k. You can buy vacant land for less than $300 an acre. It would be more economically feasible to do it here.
Oh yea, there are great properties in Colorado. Especially where I found mine in the southeast corner in Trinidad Colorado. Got 10 acres for $500 down and it has running water and electric with a 2,000 sq ft house for me to live. I'll make this happen one way or another. This is my life and wanna help folks change theirs

Cultivate420

Cultivate420

Thank you @Cultivate420, it's he only way to live. I retired from the army at 31 yrs old and could never work for someone else. You hear about all these company's that hire vets but it's hard to believe it's true anymore. So what I'll do is make sure I hire veterans and disabled veterans, so they can still live a normal daily life. Granted I'll hire others also but I can never forget about my brothers and sisters.

And also just because someone gets an investor doesn't mean they are selling their sole. Most that have really tried this know that it takes a rather large sum of money to get this up off of the ground. After my first year I won't have an investor anymore as it'll be paid back in full.

Are you up near Trinidad by chance @Cultivate420 ? I'd love to talk sometime
Glad to hear that you are reaching out to our beloved vets. and putting good honest hands to work. I am in Denver currently finishing up school and soaking knowledge i would love to talk and hear what you have vision in the cultivation business and if our vision are compatible maybe we can join our efforts.
Have you started construction or are you already gardening?

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Glad to hear that you are reaching out to our beloved vets. and putting good honest hands to work. I am in Denver currently finishing up school and soaking knowledge i would love to talk and hear what you have vision in the cultivation business and if our vision are compatible maybe we can join our efforts.
Have you started construction or are you already gardening?
Hell yea brother, that's what this is about. Helping those who may not be able to help themselves or are trying to find their way. I'd love to link up with you and talk about both of our visions. We are still in early construction, so we got a bit of time. I'm actually finishing up school as well or I'd already be up there.

I'm gonna shoot you a pm

Latest posts

Top Bottom