Stems Are Hollow

• Thread starter iamhellsangel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hawkman

I guess I’m ready to harvest ??? I have not one amber trichomes and my leaves will not turn colors during flush & just in time Spider mites just hitting my grow I found out my stock was hollow when I hosed my plants off and the gigantic bud just snapped the stalk Ethos Sour OG Cheese View attachment 901870View attachment 901871View attachment 901872View attachment 901869
Many use the "hollow" to check their harvest to see if harvested too early/late. I use it as a double check- you will find that the stems' hollow diameter get's larger as the plant ages'. (meaning that up-take is decreasing) By the looks of your stalk - you harvested at a good point I all ways look at the stem after harvest to check my harvest

SickBoy420

SickBoy420

I guess I’m ready to harvest ??? I have not one amber trichomes and my leaves will not turn colors during flush & just in time Spider mites just hitting my grow I found out my stock was hollow when I hosed my plants off and the gigantic bud just snapped the stalk Ethos Sour OG Cheese View attachment 901870View attachment 901871View attachment 901872View attachment 901869
I have 5 plants. Harvested 2. Same seeds , I was 1/2” like photo one toothpick hollow. Trichomes where identical.

NuggetPawn

NuggetPawn

Hollow stems have nothing to do with nutrients, they aren’t like straws for your fizzy drink, otherwise water would gush out everytime you snipped a main during harvest. It is structural and structural alone. It allows the plant to use less cells per cm of vertical length while maintaining its flexural strength. Think about how strong bamboos are relative to their thickness and weight. I hope this explains the effect. The cause, however, is debatable.

Rockysmoke

Rockysmoke

Sorry guys, hollow stems are usually a sign of low boron ratio vs nitrogen. Maybe try fertigating one consistently with B at .5-1 ppm and one without then compare. And yes be ready for Ca uptake to increase (add some, but not from 'cal-mag' which is more CaNO3). A Ca+B foliar might work faster for remedial use.
I've been reading for some facts rather than opinions. Carbon, calcium and silica deficiency are the biggest factors according to my research of scientific facts rather than opinions.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I've been reading for some facts rather than opinions. Carbon, calcium and silica deficiency are the biggest factors according to my research of scientific facts rather than opinions.
Put excessive potassium on that list also. Yes, I agree 100% that nutrients/light is by far the biggest factor in overall stem health. Hollow big stems, probably not an issue, maybe even a good thing. Hollow weak stems, a big problem....

Personally, I don't believe focusing on the hollow/not hollow aspect is productive, IMO. But looking at overall quality/health of the stems themselves in various developmental stages of life.

I really think having the ratio's dialed in correctly on this one is a huge factor here.

Last edited:
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Put excessive potassium on that list also. Yes, I agree 100% that nutrients/light is by far the biggest factor in overall stem health. Hollow big stems, probably not an issue, maybe even a good thing. Hollow weak stems, a big problem....

Personally, I don't believe focusing on the hollow/not hollow aspect is productive, IMO. But looking at overall quality/health of the stems themselves in various developmental stages of life.

I really think having the ratio's dialed in correctly on this one is a huge factor here.
Right on point frank! Anyone experiencing hollow week stems like some of the pics from the first page😂🤣 get a bag of gypsum from CHN.
Love how all they say it’s normal and healthy lol

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I lean towards lack of something important = hollow stems. Like calcium perhaps. So, excellent call on the gyp!
This is what you want. Don’t buy anything or amazon or elsewhere. A lot of bottle nutes over time will let your strains down making them weaker and weaker if your growing clones. This gypsum will get them back to being strong again. I usually dose 2 tsp per two gallon pot every week or two. You can also mix it in your solution at 2 tsp per gallon but it settles on the bottom pretty fast so needs to be stirred right before or during use.

28589CE4 58AE 41BF 9C7D FD4DE421E9BA
RJenZen

RJenZen

Currently have 3 (too) tall Durban Poisions going. 1st grow, going well but I also noticed the hollow stem thing. I'm using General Hydroponics flora series according to feed chart, Cal/mag, silica, great white, etc. Roots,leaves and now 3 week buds look really good. Good light checked with Apofee PAR sensor, Agromax UV B bulb.

Found this in my searching.

And this:
"Pith Autolysis in Herbaceous, Dicotyledonous Plants: Experimental Manipulation of Pith Autolysis in Several Cultivated Species | Annals of Botany | Oxford Academic"

And 1 more

"Photosynthetic utilization of internal carbon dioxide by hollow-stemmed plants - PubMed" https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6054809/

All very informative.

RJenZen

RJenZen

I'd also guess that a tent with a fan pulling constant negative pressure (even though slight) around the stem's hollow pith would increase it's size...kinda like the cock pump principal

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Apparently some of you are not willing to give gypsum a try. I’ve fixed many of strains indoors that either over time of having them went hollow or they come hollow to me. It’s fixable.
The guy who turned me on to gypsum suggested the bottle nutes I use is the culprit to the hollow stems. After loading them with gypsum even my biggest gapers filled in.

growsince79

growsince79

Apparently some of you are not willing to give gypsum a try. I’ve fixed many of strains indoors that either over time of having them went hollow or they come hollow to me. It’s fixable.
The guy who turned me on to gypsum suggested the bottle nutes I use is the culprit to the hollow stems. After loading them with gypsum even my biggest gapers filled in.
How much per gal of soil for top dress?

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Fun fact while stress training I ripped the main stalk in half, it split open at the Y and I could see down into my hollow stalk. Light was blasting in there.. I was like shit.. This is prolly gonna hurt it. I had an opening in the top of my stalk. Bet I could see 3 inches down inside.. Anyways I put some duck tape over the top to stop light from blasting down and to stop it from spreading open more. It actually sealed its self back close... And the plant took off was pretty interesting honestly.. Like it never happened.. I'll have to get a pic of it for yall when I get home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom