Stems Are Hollow

• Thread starter iamhellsangel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
How much per gal of soil for top dress?
Top dress I do two tsp for a two gallon pot every two weeks or so. Once you know they are solid you can back off it or go longer without it.
Ive only been using it since last spring and had my first mishap a couple weeks ago. Over did it a bit and had some yellowing and blot hung on the under growth. Tried to blame it on a couple of other things but it happen in the veg and bloom and gypsum was used in both. So I bumped up the food or cut out the water only days as my friend recommended and they grew out of it no problem and were stronger then ever.
I sent my friend snips recently and he’s like wow no hollow stems 😀 which I was having a ton of problems with before.
Also noticing a much more stacked and less stretchy plant in flower especially on older cuts that use to grow like crap. Here’s triangle kush and is as short and stacked as I have ever grown her.
So give it a try you’ll pay more for shipping then the actual product 😅

BBF915F8 D297 4BA9 B3A1 CFC7EA6C808E
73198417 6A69 474F A830 ECFD7D745008
5C3819E8 7A92 41BD 8B16 C35EE9239E44
H

hawkman

Top dress I do two tsp for a two gallon pot every two weeks or so. Once you know they are solid you can back off it or go longer without it.
Ive only been using it since last spring and had my first mishap a couple weeks ago. Over did it a bit and had some yellowing and blot hung on the under growth. Tried to blame it on a couple of other things but it happen in the veg and bloom and gypsum was used in both. So I bumped up the food or cut out the water only days as my friend recommended and they grew out of it no problem and were stronger then ever.
I sent my friend snips recently and he’s like wow no hollow stems 😀 which I was having a ton of problems with before.
Also noticing a much more stacked and less stretchy plant in flower especially on older cuts that use to grow like crap. Here’s triangle kush and is as short and stacked as I have ever grown her.
So give it a try you’ll pay more for shipping then the actual product 😅
when top dressing - Dress after you water !!!

H

HeheJoey

I've been reading for some facts rather than opinions. Carbon, calcium and silica deficiency are the biggest factors according to my research of scientific facts rather than opinions.
I know I’m late to the party here, but I’ve been doing some research on this topic and have found that CARBON plays a vital role here, so I agree. ~ Carbon based Nutrients

Homesteader

Homesteader

Plants use carbon more than any other element. Most likely around 40-50% of all the plants are made up of carbon. They get the carbon from breaking down the carbon dioxide. Hollow stems are genetic but there are ways to strength the outer stem. Certain nutrient deficiencies will add to lodging (a corn term meaning the stalk broke on its own weight). Potassium is almost always related to this lodging and it is ussually accompanied by high nitrogen

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

cause and effect...I am under 600w Leds.....10 out of 22 are like so....
Hollow stems tend to be more for drug cannabis,fibre strains are more likely to be pithy less branching ,smaller flowers,more useful for textile etc. Depends what you want, ex: a short broad leaf plant will not be much use if you need to make paper or rope and a tall lanky plant with few flowers is not much good as a drug if you want quantity.

william76

william76

Hollow stems tend to be more for drug cannabis,fibre strains are more likely to be pithy less branching ,smaller flowers,more useful for textile etc. Depends what you want, ex: a short broad leaf plant will not be much use if you need to make paper or rope and a tall lanky plant with few flowers is not much good as a drug if you want quantity.
I said that above,drug type cannabis has more hollow stems hemp type more solid stems,this is with healthy plants .which as with everything else is strain dependant.76

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I said that above,drug type cannabis has more hollow stems hemp type more solid stems,this is with healthy plants .which as with everything else is strain dependant.76
Yes but if you grow for seed for example then high calyx to leaf is important and can be drug or non drug.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hallow stems are from growth ratea and the grow style believe it ir not. Hydroponic grown will have straws for stems like @Cashmeh showed.

I have seen the differences first hand and believe i posted about the differences in one of my grow threads somehwre

H

HeheJoey

Hallow stems are from growth ratea and the grow style believe it ir not. Hydroponic grown will have straws for stems like @Cashmeh showed.

I have seen the differences first hand and believe i posted about the differences in one of my grow threads somehwre
I would guess the reason why “hydroponic grown will have straws for stems” is because most of the grows you are referring to are Carbon deficient from the quicker and larger growth hydroponics offers. Furthermore, wouldn’t you say most hydroponic setups are on a synthetic regimen? Put two and two together I’d say we have ourselves a Carbon deficiency. The plant will translocate the pith from the stalks to the new shoots if it’s carbon deficient, if the plant has enough carbon it won’t need to do this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would guess the reason why “hydroponic grown will have straws for stems” is because most of the grows you are referring to are Carbon deficient from the quicker and larger growth hydroponics offers. Furthermore, wouldn’t you say most hydroponic setups are on a synthetic regimen? Put two and two together I’d say we have ourselves a Carbon deficiency. The plant will translocate the pith from the stalks to the new shoots if it’s carbon deficient, if the plant has enough carbon it won’t need to do this.
Only problem to you theory, carbon is taken from the air and plants cannot take up organic nutrients. So id have to say it absolutely cannot be a carbon deficiency… especially since the plant would stunt as its the largest component in plant tissue and hydroponic grows faster

H

HeheJoey

Only problem to you theory, carbon is taken from the air and plants cannot take up organic nutrients. So id have to say it absolutely cannot be a carbon deficiency… especially since the plant would stunt as its the largest component in plant tissue and hydroponic grows faster
I never said the plants use the carbon directly from the medium, rather what the carbon will do if it is in your medium. I also agreed and said hydroponics does grow faster. I never said there will be stunted growth, other than a poor pith development, aka straw-like stems. I’m not entirely sure what a strong pith will do for your plant other than a stronger structure. Moving on, what does carbon do to all the living microorganisms in your medium? These microorganism need carbon themselves which they will be given to by the plant, but they also respirate Co2 into the atmosphere, where the plants then can use it.

P

Plantmaster

My plumeria is suddenly gooey or hollow or something in the middle. I know it has been over watered but the sudden gutted section is something I have never seen nor heard before. What dose it mean.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I never said the plants use the carbon directly from the medium, rather what the carbon will do if it is in your medium. I also agreed and said hydroponics does grow faster. I never said there will be stunted growth, other than a poor pith development, aka straw-like stems. I’m not entirely sure what a strong pith will do for your plant other than a stronger structure. Moving on, what does carbon do to all the living microorganisms in your medium? These microorganism need carbon themselves which they will be given to by the plant, but they also respirate Co2 into the atmosphere, where the plants then can use it.
Kinda the organism’s get thier carbon from consumption of organic matter some of this is from metabolites released by the plants. That’s literally the definition of organic matter it has a carbon molecule attached.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

All of my plants are hollow if that helps too, not likely, but ya lol sorry stoned 🤪
🙃
Yeah its seen when you have fast growth rates. I cant explain much more than the structure change is due to the sheer volume of uptake, transportation of nutrients and rate of growth. Exactly how that happens I haven’t bothered to look into

P

Psy3784

Ohh ok well thanks for the info. I had no idea. Haha, I just remember being dumbfounded last year when I realized they were hollow .🙃

Latest posts

Top Bottom