Steppa's uc madness

• Thread starter DMsteppa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HG23

HG23

Looks pimp DM, nice work. Is there a particular reason you use lava over other mediums?

D

DMsteppa

Yea but for the UC, I do not recommend it. I'm def going with hydroton next run as getting these things too root through the lava can be a bit challenging.

F

f1ydave

Yea but for the UC, I do not recommend it. I'm def going with hydroton next run as getting these things too root through the lava can be a bit challenging.

Have you tried any other mediums on a DWC?

M

mrdizzle

I dunno how I missed this one. the room looks slick brother soooo tight.

Now Im not trying to tell you what to do, but Ive had 8 MPB runs under my belt, one that I had to pull and one that was just a shitty 2 months so my advice follows

please get a chiller, you have too much money in and too much money waiting to come out to not put a chiller in there. its like banging a hooker without a rubber, risky business.

even living in a cold climate, that just means the chiller will work less. but in 2 months I want to see you harvest big, not disappear because you got the rot. best wishes

D

DMsteppa

I dunno how I missed this one. the room looks slick brother soooo tight.

Now Im not trying to tell you what to do, but Ive had 8 MPB runs under my belt, one that I had to pull and one that was just a shitty 2 months so my advice follows

please get a chiller, you have too much money in and too much money waiting to come out to not put a chiller in there. its like banging a hooker without a rubber, risky business.

even living in a cold climate, that just means the chiller will work less. but in 2 months I want to see you harvest big, not disappear because you got the rot. best wishes

yo diz thank for the respectfull approach. Currently my night temp low is 61, and day highs are at 76 with out the ac running, just moving air with nice filtered intake.

I understand that its concerning but this is how its got to be this run. I've kinda got to make up for the super taxed system I bought. I think all will be gravy. everything is pearly white and I've been adding zone once a week and then h202 once a week as well.

M

mrdizzle

once the plants get real big too they are pretty strong and can take alot, much harder to get the root IMO. that nighttime temp will bring that water temp down everynight too which probably keeps your nutes temp fine throughout lights on. Just keep up with the zone and check the roots all the time and you should be a happy man

D

DMsteppa

pulled a small plant out today and roots were clear into the next bucket, havent really filled their own and there on to the next.

I'm counting on those high and low temp swings to keep it all even.

P

poedizzle

If your using Dutchmaster Zone you should be ok with a little higher temps, peace
poe

S

strawD

if you got cold temps outside, is there any way you could run your air pumps from outside? some cold air bubbling would surely help to lower temps. with a thermostat you could have an extra air pump that would know when to come on and off by temp. would be cheaper to set up that chillers and use way less elec.

C

Colebz

Very nice setup. All you under current guys doin it big are inspiring a soil OG to convert. Got the 6 bucket system to experiment with. Got a question, what if you put your air pumps in front of ac cold air outlet... is that a good idea? I ask because I'm thinking about doin that with mine.

D

DMsteppa

my cold air intake is on the ceiling. I did consider this but it would be near impossible to check them on the daily to make sure none fail.

one of my biggest worries is failed air pumps. already lost one ap-100. super sketch. thats the kinda shit that will cost me.

C

Colebz

Wow, really? That sucks! Never would've considered an air pump to stop working. Are there better pumps than the ap- 100 that you could recommend.
So there's no problem with an air pump in front of my ac? Thanks in advance!

C

Colebz

You could test with a no touch multi meter on the power cord where they plug in...?

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Hey DM! You getting sick of being told to get a chiller yet?? ROFL!! I guess they just dont get it bro.....I dont know when this fable of water temp and root rot will ever go away......I wonder how many growers with chillers and water temp at 65F it will take that get root rot before peeps finally get the picture that the two do not have anything to do with one another....

But all it takes is one person to get root rot and no matter what they are using or have tried, that product or enviroment variable now is the SOLE cause of root rot and they are now an expert on root rot and its causes.....to funny.

Water temp also will not slow growth down..another fable.....actually as more science comes to the surface, growers will learn the better range for root water temp and growth is actually in the 70's not the 60's range temps. Even certain nutrient companies put this FACT right on the label of the bottle.

Oh well....what can you do???

Gro hard DM and good luck! Hopefully you can stand all the "get a chiller" comments to come......

M

mrdizzle

^^^ you would also know that there are different species or pythium and you are in fact wrong, while some species actaully thrive in cold climates others explode in warmer temps 21c-27c. try google, skip passed all the weed forum post and try to find university studies.

Or could tell us specifically what will, and will not cause rot in these systems since you seem to have an understand of biology?

the chiller does not kill rot, it keeps water temps at a level where more DO can be held in the system . since your growing in WATER, as little as 1ppm more of DO could keep your roots healthy, which in turn would make it harder for rot to infect your plants.

you make it seem like advising on a chiller is a bad idea. its called "just trying to help" I know your already and expert but you could contact 100 RDWC vets on all the forums over the past ten years, and I can bet 99% will tell you not running a chiller is one of the biggest mistakes you could make in DWC

investing $30k in a project, while expecting to pull out around 100k from a run, and not dropping 2k on a chiller is far beyond me. even if you dont think you really need it, I do not see the pro's of not running a chiller

sorry for the rant, still hope you harvest big I just dont like it when people drop in to mock people trying to help a brother out. Especially when that person doesnt offer anything to the table himself except a touch-of-troll.

Top Bottom