STILL brown roots... sighhhh

• Thread starter Legallyflying
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UC-G

I had the same problem! but i read an article in Rosebud mag about brown sludge/roots and what they said has worked for me. The sludge is created from a mixture of too many microbiles nutrients mixed with too much oganic matter(dead root particles and organice nutrients) mixed with highly oxygenated water. The microbiles and organic matter creat the sludge which thrives in highly oxygenated water then chokes your roots killing them creating more paricles and snowball effect, it sucks. But act fast, flush your sytem and wipe down if can refill and add just h202... i believe 3ml per gal. Run for 24hrs and if able wipe down inside . Repeat process 2 to 3 times, Once clean add nutes back with low to no organic or micro nutrients. The cleaner the solution the better. hope that helps. Im no pro but that article helped me out

U

UC-G

Also forgot to mention that this problem happen often in the uc because of how hoghly oxygenated the water is. Great system though... tomorrow i pick the new Cultured Solution line, suppose to be really clean. Excited!!!

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

We use H202, but are tentatively experimenting with Clorine dioxide and sodium hypochlorite application rates.

D

Devlove

Whoa, thanks. Will be following your threads, if you find a winner let us know.

U

UC-G

I understand that you've tried h2o2 but the key to this process is to repeat it 3 times because from what ive heard is that h2o2 evaporates within 24hr so you need to flush and keep readding... but like I said, just a suggestion because I understand circumstances differ for everyone. Also a key for me was i aggressively splashed and shook my roots to release the debris. Good luck whatever route you go with constant attention and good vibes Im sure everything will be just fine.

S

shibbyshawn

Add in 2 ml/gal of Bob's brew with next res change and nutes. Then add 5ml/gal into top off res, haven't had a problem
Which bobs brew product do you use? Watermax, rootmax or ss propogator? Thanks

S

shibbyshawn

After some individual testing, and discussion with my circle of friends we have decided this must be a fungus in the water. When I get tests back I will post my results. I will say that I agree with the above statement, I ran h2o2, zone, Ucroots, all with tap or 5stage r.o. All had the same results. Cloudy funky water... 3 diff nute profiles as well... All with chilled water too.
Where do I find more info on UC roots?...tried googling it, no luck. Thanks

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

UC ROOTS is a multipurpose root zone optimizer that uses proprietary chemistry to aid in mineral descaling and the removal of potentially harmful biofilms in nutrient reservoirs. By reducing the potential habitat for plant pathogens, UC ROOTS creates a healthy, well balanced nutrient solution, perfect for explosive root growth! UC ROOTS is suitable for all hydroponically grown plants including those grown in Rockwool, NFT, DWC, RDWC, Ebb-N-Flow and substrate based DTW applications.

Weekly Treatment for Hydroponics System/Reservoir: Add 1-3mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of nutrient solution every 5- 7 days if nutrient temps are below 68°F or every 1-3 days if nutrient temps exceed 76° F.

Periodic and Final Nutrient Flush: Periodic : Add 5-7mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of water and continue to irrigate as normal. Continue this process for 12-24 hrs. then drain away solution and mix new nutrient. Final : Add 5-7mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of water and continue to irrigate as normal. Continue this process for the last 3-5 days of fruiting/blooming cycle.

Cloning /Propagation: Add 5-10mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of fresh water at the beginning of the cloning/propagation process. Cuttings may be dipped or fully immersed in 25-30mL of UCROOTS per gallon of water for 20-30 seconds, then apply cloning gels or rooting powders. Hydroponic System/Reservoir Cleaning (Without Plants): Add 30mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of water. Circulate for 1-24 hours then drain the system/reservoir. T

To Clean Used Media: Soak overnight in 30mL of UC ROOTS per gallon of water. This will clean and help prepare media for reuse and is suitable for clay pebbles, coconut fiber, rockwool , etc. that are not excessively degraded or contaminated.

For any uses not specifically mentioned please contact CCH2O for more information: (559)266-GROW

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Well. Just as an update. I emptied the system, vaccuumed everything then filled with fresh water. Still lots of root material floating around, so I emptied and vaccumed again. Then I ran physian, h202 and bleach. The plants are pretty much dormant..not much growth and virtually no root growth. Called tech support at CC to chat about things. VERY helpfull. I emptied the system as we both agreed the sterilization route was really hard on the plants. I filled with very weak nutrient solution and just zone.

Three days later there wasn't any real gunk on the roots but still no root growth. I'm on vacation for the next week so if they haven't bounced back, and bounced back big time, then I'm going to chuck those plants. Kind of funny as I have had two plans in dwc buckets and I have been virtually ignoring them and they have been doing fine. I have just been adding water and nutes from time to time in the top off bucket for like 2 weeks. Opened them up before I left... Bright white roots.

I transferred one of these plants to the UC. So if I come home and that plant is all Gunked up
I'll know that there is something rotten in the UC. So I figure major disassemble and bleach the shit out of it. Where else could the "bad stuff" come from? Air stones?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I started using H2O2 about a month ago with my DM and zone and boy do I have white roots.

Here is some info on using it in hydro UC- G

H2O2 comes in several different strengths 3%, 5%, 8% and 35%, also sold as food grade Hydrogen Peroxide. The most economical is 35% which we recommend be diluted to three percent before using, as at this high concentration it can cause damage to skin and clothing. When working with food grade H2O2 it is very important that you clean up any spills or splashes immediately, it will damage almost anything very quickly. This is extra important with skin and clothing. Skin will be temporarily bleached pure white if not washed cleaned. Gloves are strongly recommended when working with any strong chemical.

Food grade H2O2 can be diluted to three percent by mixing it one part to eleven parts water (preferably distilled). The storage container should be opaque to prevent light from getting in and it must be able to hold some pressure. If three-liter pop bottles are available in your area they are ideal for mixing and storing H2O2. There are twelve quarter liters (250ml) in three liters, if you put in one quarter liter H2O2 and eleven quarter liters (250ml) water in the bottle it will make three percent H2O2 and the bottle can hold the pressure that the H2O2 will generate. Three percent Hydrogen Peroxide may be added at up to three ml's per liter (2 1\2 tsp. Per gallon), but it is recommended that you start at a lower concentration and increase to full strength over a few weeks. Use every watering even on fresh cuttings. For hydroponics use every reservoir change and replace twenty-five percent (one quarter) every day. Example: In a 100L reservoir you would add three hundred ml's (3%) of H2O2 when changing the nutrient. You would then add seventy-five ml's more every day.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Just thought I would mention that you need to keep the ppm of H2o2 up so you need a way to tell how much is in there. You can buy H2O2 test strips to test the water on-line.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Well, another update... and likely the last.

My buddy checked on things on thursday. He said that the plants did not have any real root growth on them. He said they still looked really stunted..no real big leaves. PLUS the plant I put in the system before I left, the one with roots as white as a TV anchor's teeth.... now as "light brown" roots according to him.

The big question now is.. transfer those plants to coco and hope for the best... or just trash them. Time to get my clones into DWC and and prepare to disassemble, scrub the fuck out of the UC and give it another shot.

PrefersHam

PrefersHam

LF
How long have you been battling this same slime? With these same plants?
Peace,
Ham

deacon1503

deacon1503

I have a friend who just tried this product and says he is now brown root free.

Actinovate - anyone ever use it?

W

willy led wonka

hydro rush will clean your root zone up and not killing in beneficial microbes. Its like liquid oxygen and will clean your roots up in a couple of weeks. I use this in my last run when the weather got unexpectedly hot and i forgot to ice my nft tables. It took a couple of weeks but it works.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

Got home late last night. Open the door on the flower room...utter dismay. Plants still the same size, not much root growth. Unplugged everything, said fuck you, and went to bed. Time to chop everything when I get the time and flower some back up plants I have in coco.

H

hogan400

legalf, my coco and Uc are doing great now. Sad to hear things didnt take off for ya. Im doing the coco to ensure I pull a crop. I been using just ewc with a touch of molasses to feed my Uc tea. I was out of town for a week without any attention to my Uc and its doubled in size. 1 cup ewc per gallon of r.o water and 30 ml of hi brix molasses. I brew for 12 hrs and Then add. I noticed once I added the tea to my root crown, and gave a few solid drenches, the roots took off. Whatever bacteria was feeding on my roots, is now gone. I feel the drench was key for me. For the drench I used a 1 gallon jug and mixed the tea 50/50 with r.o water, ph balanced to 6.0 and poured it all over the plant base and rocks. I know each time its a case by case basis and take my results with a grain of salt. I only kept my Uc up for trouble shooting and maybe this method can help ya.

later. h400

Ernie

Ernie

I've had killer rootrot in every little 5 gal 6 site Rubbermaid tote and ruins 5-8 crops that never made it into flowering. I've tried icebottles sm90 and dm zone.....nothing.

Top Bottom