strain hunting and my war against spidermites

• Thread starter oxanaca
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oxanaca

oxanaca

hello so im growing out a bunch of seeds. i have 58 females and am about to go into flower mode soon. two nights ago i realized i have a spider mite issue. i wont be able to use toxic chemicals such as floramite or avid as i dont do that.
instead i will be using a few different safer methods

i will blast them off with a hose.
i will strip off all unnecessary undergrowth.
apply mighty wash, nicotine extracted from tobacco, and diluted rosemary oil with tween 20
seepro Preferal: a fungus that attacks spider mites
OG Bio war foliar tea
predetory mites
spider mite destroyers

i own a fogmaster fogger. and a high pressure hand sprayer. that provides a nice fine mist

i am collecting spider mites for the prison i am building to breed them. i want to breed spider mites to feed
the predetory mites and spider mite destroyers. which i will be raising. i would like to be able to release rediculous numbers of predetors and destroyers in the event of an out break. and still have a reproductive base

i also want to be able to individually isolate, culture and store all major microbial insecticides in caps mix and preferal

oxanaca

oxanaca

i feel like dick but im dead tired and i failed to add pictures.
any advice is apreciated

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I just want to say your list of battle gear seems adequate, though thank Gaea , I've never had to fight SMs. Just want to send positive vibes your way and wish you the best of luck. Peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i feel like dick but im dead tired and i failed to add pictures.
any advice is apreciated
LMAO!! Sorry, but... that's just struck me as very funny. You're not a dick. Use the "Upload a File" button under the reply box.

Btw, add isopropyl alcohol to that mix. I use it regularly. What are you using to emulsify the rosemary essential oil?

oxanaca

oxanaca

LMAO!! Sorry, but... that's just struck me as very funny. You're not a dick. Use the "Upload a File" button under the reply box.

Btw, add isopropyl alcohol to that mix. I use it regularly. What are you using to emulsify the rosemary essential oil?

What concentration do u recomend for the rosemary oil and the isoproply oil. For some reason I thought the tween 20 would emulsify it, ill spend more time researching.

Seamaiden its kind of funny your in every thread ive read the last month or so, across 4 different web sites. I really respect your opinion.

Ill update this after work

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What concentration do u recomend for the rosemary oil and the isoproply oil. For some reason I thought the tween 20 would emulsify it, ill spend more time researching.

Seamaiden its kind of funny your in every thread ive read the last month or so, across 4 different web sites. I really respect your opinion.

Ill update this after work
4 different sites..? I only post on this one and the group on Facebook. Thank you, but.. the other three are probably not me.

I've used iso in combination with rosemary, but that was when I was using my fresh rosemary and trying to get an extraction of my own going. Otherwise, use the treatments separately every three days.

So for rosemary oil the SNS concentration I worked off of was 2%, and I've used both vegetable glycerin for an emulsifier (works just fine, but you have to use a lot. It's much easier to source) and.. let me look up the other compound. I want to say propylene glycol, but I don't think that's it. Nope, it's polyglycerol oleate, which I sourced from a website for making your own make-up. Lauric acid is another emulsifying agent that I've used in combination with the PO. Mixing order is important, mix the oils with the emulsifiers first, then add the water.

I use the iso at a rate of 1:1 most often, but caregiverken is using it at a rate of 1:3 (iso:water) for his russet mite issues and it seems to have some effect.

D

dissolute

since you are still in veg, don't even fuck around. floramite + pred mites. floramite is made to be used this way, so what could be better. hit the soil with 2ml of a neem extract mixed to use as part of normal feeding for the natural antifeedant properties.

oxanaca

oxanaca

4 different sites..? I only post on this one and the group on Facebook. Thank you, but.. the other three are probably not me.

I've used iso in combination with rosemary, but that was when I was using my fresh rosemary and trying to get an extraction of my own going. Otherwise, use the treatments separately every three days.

So for rosemary oil the SNS concentration I worked off of was 2%, and I've used both vegetable glycerin for an emulsifier (works just fine, but you have to use a lot. It's much easier to source) and.. let me look up the other compound. I want to say propylene glycol, but I don't think that's it. Nope, it's polyglycerol oleate, which I sourced from a website for making your own make-up. Lauric acid is another emulsifying agent that I've used in combination with the PO. Mixing order is important, mix the oils with the emulsifiers first, then add the water.

I use the iso at a rate of 1:1 most often, but caregiverken is using it at a rate of 1:3 (iso:water) for his russet mite issues and it seems to have some effect.

the thread ive been reading were from back in 2010-12. ive got a bottle of glycerine, i used it for a smoke screen.

so is the 1:1 -1:3 ratio 70 percent or 91 percent iso?

oxanaca

oxanaca

since you are still in veg, don't even fuck around. floramite + pred mites. floramite is made to be used this way, so what could be better. hit the soil with 2ml of a neem extract mixed to use as part of normal feeding for the natural antifeedant properties.
i hate to say it but im tempted to drop the bomb, but i have to smoke this, and who knows what even minute traces of the stuff can do to you down the road.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wait, so Floramite (which is a miticide), then add back mites, which one might think would be killed by the miticide (which is a single site mode of action known to cause resistance in... mites)? It's made to be used with predator mites? That's something I don't recall reading on the labeling at all.
the thread ive been reading were from back in 2010-12. ive got a bottle of glycerine, i used it for a smoke screen.

so is the 1:1 -1:3 ratio 70 percent or 91 percent iso?
Either strength, I haven't found much difference between the two strengths, diluted or not.

Dropping temps and raising RH also greatly reduces the ability to reproduce quickly. I've found this can work well in veg, but not in flower as the results are pretty much the same as if the room were too dry and hot.

If you're going to play around with essential oils, try adding clove oil to the mix, it's in some of the SNS formulations and it's used in aquatics to 'kindly' euthanize fish.

oxanaca

oxanaca

dissolute is correct. it says it on page 3 of the label under the section: strategys for resistance management.

• Use FLORAMITE SC in conjunction with biological control
organisms available for mite control. FLORAMITE SC when
used as directed, does not adversely affect populations of
beneficial/predacious mites and insects, including:

Predatory Mites Beneficial Insects
Phytoseiulus persimilis Chrysoperla carnea
(common green lacewing)
Neoseiulus spp. Aphidius colemani
Typhlodromus spp. Aphidoletes aphidomyza
Amblyseius spp. Orius insidiosus
(insidious pirate bug)
Zetzellia mali Coccinella septempunctata
Iphiseius degenerans Hippodamia convergens
Stethorus punctum
Diglyphus isaea
Eretmocerus eremicus
Cotesia marginiventris

oxanaca

oxanaca

i cant lower my temperature. but i have my humidity at 80%rh right now

i will give the clove oil a shot

Dunge

Dunge

i am collecting spider mites for the prison i am building to breed them. i want to breed spider mites to feed
the predetory mites and spider mite destroyers. which i will be raising. i would like to be able to release rediculous numbers of predetors and destroyers in the event of an out break. and still have a reproductive base

i also want to be able to individually isolate, culture and store all major microbial insecticides in caps mix and preferal

This has me subbed.
I'd think that breeding predators on a less risky beast would be safer, but I can't make any recommendations.
That sort of info seems to be held rather close by industry.

I had the same plan for predatory nematodes but the grubs I bought at the pet store were not good hosts.
Seems they are in my worm bin living happily, but I have no way for concentration them.

And gnatrol, but was never able to get any helpful info on inducing sporulation in BTi, much less culturing large numbers.

Good luck, and please keep us informed.

oxanaca

oxanaca

so thought i would add a picture of the crop
before i do though i thought i would like to say that i know my pots are to small im going to put them all in 2 gallon bags. and i know my plants are to close to the lights they are 1k gavitas but i have them temporarily set at 600 watts. i am building stands that will drop my canopy to 18 inches. and be able to drop my lights to reach 40inch hang height at 1150watts setting.

20141010 232639

im building a triple dosetron drip setup for my plants.
each injector independently injects part A, B and acid into the drip manifold
. i haven't run dosetrons in series before or with low flow before. any advice appreciated. gonna set it up with a bypass so i can run straight water. think i might need mixing valve(s)
20141010 233059

having a problem with clones. no damp off though. just these brown what i want to call lesions that kind of kills off my new leaves and eventually takes over the plant. its not as significant as i was with my last group of cutting. i dunked half of my cuttings in physan 20 but the browning occurs evenly amongst the population. also i air them out twice daily

heres how i took my clones.
i cut all my clones.
i dipped half of them in 1ml physan 20 per gallon for 1 hour.
then i rinsed off the cuttings with straight water
i cut the leaves down on all of them and made the final cut under water.
i wore gloves and constantly cleaned them with 70 iso.
i alternated between two different surgical scissors which were stored in 70 iso

20141010 232450 20141010 232519

Last edited:
oxanaca

oxanaca

for fertillizer im running
125ppm N
45P
120Ca from CaNO3 and 120 from tap
70Mg
125S+ S from Sulphuric acid
4ppm iron (2ppm from peters s.t.e.m. and 2ppm from FeDTPA)
i run ph of 5.6 and it stays stabil for 24hrs and then starts to rise.
not sure why though

heres my testing tools
i can measure sap brix, sap PH, and sap EC. got the par meter too
got a regular EC and ph meters too.
20141011 001508
building a sweet cloner. it has 400 plus clone sites, not that i would need that many but its available. im using strips of neoprene with slits cut in them. much faster easier and cheaper than silly circles
it operates at 70Psi pressure and will be equipped with 12 misting nozzles. it can be run drain to waste or recycled. i plant to run this recycled with inline UV sanitation to the pump. its currently configured for DTW supplied by city water. uses about 4 gallons a day and no pathogens breeding in a resevoir
20141011 000313
20141011 000154

Last edited:
oxanaca

oxanaca

This has me subbed.
I'd think that breeding predators on a less risky beast would be safer, but I can't make any recommendations.
That sort of info seems to be held rather close by industry.

I had the same plan for predatory nematodes but the grubs I bought at the pet store were not good hosts.
Seems they are in my worm bin living happily, but I have no way for concentration them.

And gnatrol, but was never able to get any helpful info on inducing sporulation in BTi, much less culturing large numbers.

Good luck, and please keep us informed.
I think im going to move any breeding projects down the list. Ill start researching university papers. Unfortunately the really good information usually costs money to download unless your a big professor.

As far as the beneficial microbs I think I hit the joint a little hard when I said that as it would be much easier to buy it from the source than try and make it myself

symbiote420

symbiote420

Do yourself a favor and get some neem cake bro!

I simply top dress an ounce or two then give em a couple weekly drenches (1/4 - 1/2 cup per gallon) with it keeps the bugs away ....I've had mites getting on my nerves lately til I started using it, after checking the leaves with the most damage or even some slight webbing I can't find em! I have two 33 gallon totes of soil cooking that I've amended with it, I plan to start doing ROLS again looking for some crab meal to add in some extra calcium and chitin!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom