Strain Sharing?

• Thread starter Kaskadian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Hey all,

I didn't see a thread about this when I searched, so if this has already been discussed I apologize.

This isn't a debate thread, but I was curious about how you guys felt about strain sharing? I know some people like to keep their clone only strains to themselves, and then others seem to want to share their cuts with friends, etc. Before I moved abroad, I had a few "clone only" strains like UK cheese, P98 BK, Ultraviolet, Chemdog D/4, etc. I only mention this because a few friends of mine that gifted me these strains asked that I not share them. Other friends had the opposite attitude and encouraged sharing among other growers, etc.

I never really understood why I was asked not to share, but of course I didn't share them out of respect for my friends. I can absolutely understand not sharing genetics if you're a breeder; you don't want to be giving away the breeding stock you may have spend years developing. The same goes for those who may have found a unique pheno in one of their own grows; I understand it. I'm mainly talking about these "elite" clone only strains that are already in circulation within our community. Is this mostly for bragging rights or is there something I'm missing here?

Let me clarify again, this isn't a debate thread; I don't mean any offense to those who keep their clone only strains to themselves. I'm just trying to understand the practice of it more than anything.

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

Personally, its a tightrope... having a trusted local growmie hold yer cuts is great genetic insurance just in case...
If that cat passes yer shit around to just anyone, it loses value...

loses even more if folk pass around poorly grown nugs tarnishing the plants name...

I'd say it really depends on the cut and your intentions with it.

straincreation

straincreation

I have been in the same situation. Its tyrany, and we are in america so i think that alot of people are scared of capatilization on there product. If this country wasnt built on greed there would be alot more things Amongst us, and our civilization would have evolved beyond this point. Since it is and whats mine is mine and only mine with most people, this is what we will get not only in cannabis, but the world abroad.

its sad to see that this community of growers has come to the conclusion that this is how it has to be and only copyrights will change that, which will lead to a whole new beast, i fear thw day that this graces its presence upon us.

Sad to say but if theres not a change it may be sooner than we think.
Happy farmin;)

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

strain patents are for the likes of sam bunkman... total bullshit IMHO

I believe that you should all be cracking seeds... finding those new "elites" and at least pass those to your circle...
increase the quality of the goods in your area, and everyone in the area benefits...

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

Take the silver grapefruit pheno of minion city diesel (purps x blueberry diesel) I found...

I've passed her to 2 local cats to doublecheck her "elite"-ness... lol
Now, I'm certainly gonna breed her out... but she'll also get out there as a cut only.
I'm unafraid because I have the males I intend to use already...

Will other folks breed "my" elite that I found? absolutely...
Will that stop me from doing so? nope...

But, I will wait to let her out and wait to give permission to those cats to do so as well...
...because I want a head start with her...

Now... If I kept her all to myself and got hit by a bus, she'd be gone forever... dont seem fair...

Holding shit close to the chest has a place...
Being a strain hoarder that never puts out ... well ... not so much.

Kaskadian

Kaskadian

Personally, its a tightrope... having a trusted local growmie hold yer cuts is great genetic insurance just in case...
If that cat passes yer shit around to just anyone, it loses value...

loses even more if folk pass around poorly grown nugs tarnishing the plants name...

I'd say it really depends on the cut and your intentions with it.

You make some really great points bro. There are advantages and disadvantages that I hadn't really thought about. I hadn't really thought about the strain being tarnished by people growing it badly.

I have been in the same situation. Its tyrany, and we are in america so i think that alot of people are scared of capatilization on there product. If this country wasnt built on greed there would be alot more things Amongst us, and our civilization would have evolved beyond this point. Since it is and whats mine is mine and only mine with most people, this is what we will get not only in cannabis, but the world abroad.

its sad to see that this community of growers has come to the conclusion that this is how it has to be and only copyrights will change that, which will lead to a whole new beast, i fear thw day that this graces its presence upon us.

Sad to say but if theres not a change it may be sooner than we think.
Happy farmin;)

I think we have a very similar attitude about strain sharing. Personally, I love sharing strains with friends; at the same time I don't pass on cuts to people I'm not familiar with (common sense); and I didn't/don't share what I was asked to keep private. I may not agree with it, but I've got enough respect not to go behind a friend that was kind enough to share with me.

If someone told me to keep their Blue Dream cuts or something like that to myself I'd probably laugh and hand it back to them

When I got my first "clone only" strains, I was that poor grower buying 10x packs of Nirvana beans pheno hunting. At that time having some solid genetics in my veg cab was something I couldn't turn down. :)

Free the weed.......just my opinion, sooo much making up to do.

Thanks for sharing!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Hey all,

I didn't see a thread about this when I searched, so if this has already been discussed I apologize.

This isn't a debate thread, but I was curious about how you guys felt about strain sharing? I know some people like to keep their clone only strains to themselves, and then others seem to want to share their cuts with friends, etc. Before I moved abroad, I had a few "clone only" strains like UK cheese, P98 BK, Ultraviolet, Chemdog D/4, etc. I only mention this because a few friends of mine that gifted me these strains asked that I not share them. Other friends had the opposite attitude and encouraged sharing among other growers, etc.

I never really understood why I was asked not to share, but of course I didn't share them out of respect for my friends. I can absolutely understand not sharing genetics if you're a breeder; you don't want to be giving away the breeding stock you may have spend years developing. The same goes for those who may have found a unique pheno in one of their own grows; I understand it. I'm mainly talking about these "elite" clone only strains that are already in circulation within our community. Is this mostly for bragging rights or is there something I'm missing here?

Let me clarify again, this isn't a debate thread; I don't mean any offense to those who keep their clone only strains to themselves. I'm just trying to understand the practice of it more than anything.
I believe it's up to the person who holds the cut. To many people worrying about devaluation. I grow for the love and if I pass my clone onlys does that make them worth any less. I've got a bunch of clone onlys and share them all the time. I believe everyone should get the opportunity to grow the best. Hoarding isn't the correct coarse of action imo. Obviously I Respect anyone who passes a cut my way and if they ask me not to pass I won't but I'd never put restrictions on anything I pass. I'm lucky to have a small group of friends and we all back each other's genetics. Pass the dank around. Its good karma and does more for the culture. Respect and good vibes to all.

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

It does make them worth less if:

you're the only one holding a cut, give it to one guy who grows it poorly and puts out mediocre buds... now noone wants your cut as they see it as trash having been only shown a poor example...

you intend on stabilizing traits in a plant, once again, someone else passes around half finished work as a final product, not only tarnishing the strain, but your name as well...
"I cant believe ______ would put out this!" when they're sampling a poorly grown F1 and you're on F5 by then.

None of that really applies to already widespread clone onlys... at that point, there are so many folks growing them both on and offline that hoarding makes little sense...

Tnelz

Tnelz

It does make them worth less if:

you're the only one holding a cut, give it to one guy who grows it poorly and puts out mediocre buds... now noone wants your cut as they see it as trash having been only shown a poor example...

you intend on stabilizing traits in a plant, once again, someone else passes around half finished work as a final product, not only tarnishing the strain, but your name as well...
"I cant believe ______ would put out this!" when they're sampling a poorly grown F1 and you're on F5 by then.

None of that really applies to already widespread clone onlys... at that point, there are so many folks growing them both on and offline that hoarding makes little sense...
If we are talking breeding I have an entirely different opinion. But just the passing of an elite doesn't make it any less elite imo. Just one of those polarizing topics I guess. And it's just this guy's opinion. If 10 guys grew out some shitty say aj sour disel. I'd still want it if I didn't already have it. U know what I mean. I do understand ur point. Just want everyone to have the best and don't feel it should be in the hands of a few. Like I said though when it comes to breeding I would have a total different stance. Much respect.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
strain patents are for the likes of sam bunkman... total bullshit IMHO

I believe that you should all be cracking seeds... finding those new "elites" and at least pass those to your circle...
increase the quality of the goods in your area, and everyone in the area benefits...
Well said man! What's sad is there are growers who have never cracked a bean. Sad.

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

holding "elites" just to show off and be leet is completely a different matter... I'm more defending holding tight to cuts youre working until you're ready to put em out, as opposed to defending strain hoarding just to puff yer chest out about what you got that nobody else does... which is something that I'm strongly against.

Tnelz

Tnelz

holding "elites" just to show off and be leet is completely a different matter... I'm more defending holding tight to cuts youre working until you're ready to put em out, as opposed to defending strain hoarding just to puff yer chest out about what you got that nobody else does... which is something that I'm strongly against.
In that case we r in 100% agreement. Literally. That's exactly my stance. U said it way better than me. Lol. Much respect and good luck with the lines ur working bro.

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

lol... I say good luck to everybody out there poppin beans...
what we need is more elites floatin around out there for the douchebags to hoard...

Top Bottom