Study: THC levels reach record high

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Study: THC levels reach record high
by Pierre Bertrand l Daily Texan (U. Texan)
Issue date: 10/1/08 Section: News

University of Mississippi researchers have found that tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the active chemical in marijuana, has reached record levels in the United States.

The University's Potency Monitoring Project compared current marijuana samples to some seized since 1975 from 48 states. The highest level of concentration in a single sample of the chemical during the project was 37.2 percent. The average amount currently in a single sample is 9.6 percent, a 4 percent increase since 1983, according to the report.

"[Research data] indicates that [marijuana] is a more potent drug and that it's certainly not the drug from years ago," said Jane Maxwell, a research scientist in the School of Social Work.

Because of high THC levels achieved through selective breeding of the marijuana plant, individuals are more moody, show depression when marijuana use is restricted and develop an addiction to THC, said Austin Police Department Sgt. Richard Burns.

Individuals who smoke daily and inhale a greater amount of THC in one sitting are at risk of health hazards that include respiratory and mental defects, Maxwell said.

"I think it is a drug that has changed its composition, and I think smoking a blunt compared to a joint is another factor," Maxwell said. "People are smoking a lot more in a cigar than in a joint."

Trends in Austin have suggested that the increased levels of THC adversely affect younger individuals, developing adolescents and pregnant women, Burns said.

"What is important is that the literature is beginning to document people who are experiencing cognitive problems with cannabis use," Maxwell said. "And studies are showing that more and more potent cannabis is becoming available."

With the increased potency of marijuana, the public needs to change its outlook on the use of marijuana and view it as they would traditionally harder drugs, Maxwell said.

"I think people need to be aware that with the increased potency, you could become a misuser," she said.

Source: http://media.www.llamaledger.com/me...dy.Thc.Levels.Reach.Record.High-3461619.shtml

H

HolliHerb

I really want to see some opinions on this. Does anyone think these claims has any truth to it? or can be?

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Sounds like they have been taking advice from our UK government. Welcome to the wonderful world of potency fears.

P

ProGroWannabe

It's just the same old propaganda game. All they've done is added some university girl to it in an attempt to add validity. They even have a cop as an expert. We all know how knowledgeable they are about marijuana. <---yeah right

C

Cibin

It is probably true that the "avarage" potency is raising, but then the amount consumed by one person is decreasing, as you only need to get high enough to help you fight with pain/dissease/depression..

In the times of Wild West the "potency" (alcohol content) of whiskey was said to be around 20%. Today it is 40% and nobody is warning us that alcohol content in drinks has doubled..

IMHO it is another uselles study, telling us nothing new, bringing no real benefit neither for tokers nor for canna-haters.. Who did make it? GWBs secretary during her lunch break? :thinking

B

BITYmagicBeanz

for some people and heavy smokers. the potency doesnt realy matter anyway. most weed doesnt do nothing for me, there needs to bigh high levels and low levels. depends on what your body/blood can take.
if people dont wna smoke high levels of thc then dont. grow something with a low content. its simple. the goverment needs to stop making up shit about weed. theyve all smoked it. and all used at some point. so how can they judge others for doing the same

they need too stop that drug thats coming over here. ice./crystal meth and crack. that drug will ruin countrys quicker than war.
if everyone took it. the world would end. no matter how stonned i am. i get what i need to get done!

F

FastForward

37%? Yeah baby...BRING IT ON....anyone know which one it was??

Reactions: leo
P

power

alcohol is more harmful than smelly. Weed don't make you violent it's makes you chill. Don't know what these ppl are chatting about. I love weed. Keep it clean keep it green.

T

tuffgong69

its no different than alcohol levels..if you wanna get pissed quicker,drink whiskey,if you wanna stay on a nice level you just have a few beers..if theyre so concerned about strength levels then legalise it and give the people the potency info and let them make an INFORMED decision..theyre all idiots,but then again what do i know..im probably suffering from a mental illness :thinking

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Crock of shit. Propaganda, Prop-Prop-aganda

T

thcnology

Of course ours is better,:clapping
hehe they're just upset cuz that G-13 is shit.;(

B

BITYmagicBeanz

37%? Yeah baby...BRING IT ON....anyone know which one it was??

thats pretty high. good news... its getting stronger every year.
the white is supose too be (The White-31%thc)
Halloween-36%thc .would like to no whats topped that one. ill try find out

D

Dazed&Confused

Some studies say, more potent weed is better as you do not have to smoke as much to get the medicinal efect. The less smoke you have to inhale, the better it is for the lungs.

D.I.Y

D.I.Y

That would have to be the strongest weed ever to make you as dopey as that cunt:evilgrin

F

FastForward

So if The White is up over 30%, logically it follows that in maybe 10 years or so of breeding and genetic development we might actually get something that is 80% or more??! That would be pretty terrifying....like the Bacardi 151 or Everclear of the ganja world...

In any case I find that as I've grown older I prefer a more mellow smoke....tasty with a good rounded (functional) buzz. Even if there was some mad green that clocked >50% for me it would be a party buzz, rather than a daily smoke. Shit, I get the chronic sweats now and that's on shitty dealer powerplant and the like!!

D

d-P

u gotta figure that the majority tested years ago was crappy schwag, whereas today so many are able to cultivate the plants to the full potential in controlled environments or at least with greater knowledge of cultivating superior herb, whether indoor or out...if they tested the herb in their native regions back then im sure they would find some pretty high levels instead of testing herb that's gone through all kinds of terrible conditions during transport, smuggling, and premature harvesting...there was still incredibly potent herb coming from thailand, colombia, africa, etc. back then and if u were lucky enough to acquire some that was done right im sure it'd test right up there...but as more and more are growing and learning about properly growing the plant, more people are getting quality herb (and therefore seizures of would reflect the same) instead of mexi brick that was flash-dried in the sun and sat in compressed bails in a hot storage warehouse for who knows how long, or some other 'less-than-ideal' conditions leading to deteriorated product...they're full of shit, propaganda like has already been said

Top Bottom