Subcool Super Soil Question

• Thread starter Mike49048
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nellybbad

nellybbad

Na you dont come off that way man its all good. Im not going to know what the plant wants...1 i havent grown any of the strands im getting ready to rock. 2 I have very little knowledge about outdoors so more less im trying to check off some clever lil things to help guide me into a good set this yr. Im doing 15dif types of plants and all i really based it off was flower times 55-60/over all taste and bag appeal/production. if it hit all three i bought the shit hehe. I figured and correct me if im wrong...It would be an educated balance to find out what soil recipes were really pumping out some swollen buds. I know it depends on such a wide variety of things pheno/climate/nutes etc. but how else do you derive a set and make some decisions if you dont do it the way im trying to figure it? I was thinking of conducting a few soil amendments from things ive read and do a test in my greenhouse but that has lead me to this point where im trying to pull together info. Im a visual kind of guy so i like to see the pictures and see the recipe that got it that way...its a confidence thing i guess you could say. im laying down a shitload and im just trying to get myself as prepared as i can from what i do know and can figure out until then.

C

CT Guy

Are you indoor or outdoor? This will make a difference in the amendments, because you don't want to put any fish or blood/bone meal (things that might attract predators to dig in your soil).

However, soil is soil. I'm confident that the soil I use could grow a plant just a well in Texas as it could in Maine. 99.9% of the soil microbes are the same worldwide, and if you have good porosity and control all your other variables, it really just comes down to environmental conditions. (I am simplifying this a bit, but it would apply as a general rule).

Best advice I have a new grower would be to spend your money on getting good soil. The nutrients (for many people bottled nutrient lines) should be a secondary concern. In fact, I don't use any bottled nutrients and can source all the ingredients I use from a feed store, where they don't have hydro store markups.

As for Subcool's recipe, I don't really remember what it was and don't have any experience with it. One thing I do remember is that he recommends a ridiculously small amount of humic acid.

1. In that amount it's not going to do anything.
2. It should be added to water and watered in, not put in as a dry mix for maximum benefit.

Hope that helps!

C

CT Guy

Oh and I think that the concern over chlorine does get blown out of proportion a bit. Yes, it's probably better not to use water with chlorine, and there are many simple ways to remove it. However, there is so much organic matter and microbes in a good soil that it's effect will be minimal. I just use my hose to water in my soil mix and have never had any problems. If I was concerned, I would follow it with an ACT application (which you would want to remove the chlorine from before brewing).

lazarus718

lazarus718

Nice thing about growing outdoors bro is that you really don't have to be so exact with your soil recipe. When you are growing in a pot anything you put into that pot is going to make a huge impact on the plant and if you are dumping salts on it they have no where else to go. The soil you would use for a killer tomato garden will do you just fine for an outdoor cannabis jungle. You want it to drain well and then just start experimenting with shit. Your largest worries should be with bugs and animals.

nellybbad

nellybbad

I will be doing a greenhouse. I dunno im so crossed right now. One thing im holding on to at this point is, im new and i need to keep shit simple. Im not versed in alot of stuff as of yet but am researching and compiling droves of info. I went into complex soil mixtures and now im back out with a straight coco coir with a decent liquid nute reg (heavy 16) and some other micro stuff as well as some simple foliar sprays and insect prevents. After all i read on the soil amendments it pretty much scared the shit out of me not gunna lie...it seemed to have a very high chance of burning and what i didnt get was it didnt give you supreme control of what you are feeding it. it was just kind of bent on what was dissolving in your dirt. I dont like that idea really...i liked the simple coco with a simple nute line so i can keep myself from learning as much as i can off of failed attempts. if something goes wrong i can very easily control the situation and pull back on nutes...cant really do that with dirt from what it seems. Im obviously drawn to wanting better results by being more complex but man im a specialized contractor...no fricken biology/greenthumb shit for this guy as of yet. Im laying alot of chips to put this stuff together and get it running i need to make sure i achieve success and move up from there. Like the results from JACKMAYOFFER's coco tables and his simplicity behind it and i cant find much better results. he has a inside deal going on but it seems as though it wouldnt change much if i were outside with it. dont really know though... Making these decisions has been extremely difficult none the less. All i can derive from it is he keeps it easy and obtains massive numbers with a high level product. Plus he puts his complete start to finish line up which gives an all around look at what can be achieved. I bought an 7stage ro machine with all this crazy uv light filter shit on it so im pretty sure my wa wa will be all good. from what im reading on its really just a bonus to have ro rather than a must like your kinda hinting at. I appreciate the feedback for some reason there seems to be alot of crabass's on here that just wanna be a downer and not express there knowledge. If you think what im kinda reverting to is a bad idea let me know...im here to learn from experienced growers.

nellybbad

nellybbad

No bro, it's designed to get the optimal taste and high out of your plant...not yield.

Nice thing about growing outdoors bro is that you really don't have to be so exact with your soil recipe. When you are growing in a pot anything you put into that pot is going to make a huge impact on the plant and if you are dumping salts on it they have no where else to go. The soil you would use for a killer tomato garden will do you just fine for an outdoor cannabis jungle. You want it to drain well and then just start experimenting with shit. Your largest worries should be with bugs and animals.

I bought a pretty badass perimeter fence for animals. obtained some what it seems to be pretty solid recipes for anti bugs. Im going to do exactly that run a few pots with some shit im not super comfortable on running the whole crop on and see where it takes me. Appreciate the feedback Lazarus.

lazarus718

lazarus718

I bought a pretty badass perimeter fence for animals. obtained some what it seems to be pretty solid recipes for anti bugs. Im going to do exactly that run a few pots with some shit im not super comfortable on running the whole crop on and see where it takes me. Appreciate the feedback Lazarus.
No problem bro! I know it can be a bitch sometimes to get solid answers on the forums but you'll take away some decent knowledge each time you post up a question on here. The perimeter fence is a great idea, I don't know what part of the country you grow in but you also gotta watch out for the tunnelers like gophers too sometimes. I know you said it's a greenhouse you'll be growing in but are you still putting the plants in pots or are they going directly into the ground? I think that will help you get the right advice on your soil formula.

C

CT Guy

No problem bro! I know it can be a bitch sometimes to get solid answers on the forums but you'll take away some decent knowledge each time you post up a question on here. The perimeter fence is a great idea, I don't know what part of the country you grow in but you also gotta watch out for the tunnelers like gophers too sometimes. I know you said it's a greenhouse you'll be growing in but are you still putting the plants in pots or are they going directly into the ground? I think that will help you get the right advice on your soil formula.

If you plant in the ground, you'll want to mix in some of the existing soil so the roots will reach out. Depending on soil quality/conditions, you may want to till prior to putting in the plants if you have a high compaction zone or high clay soils. A couple of advantages to planting in the ground are less watering, less height (the plants will be lower than in pots giving you more vertical space), no more transplanting needs. Disadvantages are that you can't move the plants around if they're not spaced well or something happens.

I can tell you from my experience last summer that transplanting 8 ft plants in 30 gallon pots is not fun for you or the plants!

nellybbad

nellybbad

I have a 30x50 greenhouse. I leaned over from the 200g smart pots to the 4x4x2 square pots because there way cheaper. Its one plant per. this is what i kinda got from what i seen in Jorge cervantis or whatevers videos just measuring sheer size. he went through 100g that were big but the fricken monsters were rockin the 200g and from what i can tell it was coco/perlite they had for soil. thinking the blutmat system for my drip seems like the clever choice rocking regular water and twice a week ill hit it with nutes. I had thoughts on laying the pots on some sort of framed wood structure so they could get full airflow throughout. I live in washy state and my dirt at my spot is extremely acidic and i will not be rolling the dice on that one boys hehe. Im opting for as much control as possible. I have awesome sun exposure and arid high desert plateau conditions. it has a hot streak but im going to be putting in some simple measure for interior control. Not the best weather but what can a guy do?! watched multiple plant training videos on youtube found a good one start to finish to achieve the sheer size im going for. got 15dif strains to check out.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Just an add on the monster plants... the plants are started indoors during winter and moved outdoors in spring so they are already a nice size to start if you read the "Sun shines on a hill.." thread () Sub says the JTR plant that is in ground was grown indoors 2 months before being put into ground and mentions how it will turn into a tree... felt like that was missed in this thread. Maybe someone said that but I missed it due to a lot of mean bullshit being said that I didn't bother to read. Either way boys can't we all just smoke a bong.... RELAX it's a forum for helping out not being the most right.
Argue with a fool and from afar... you know how it goes...

:bong-hits: :passingjoint:

C

CT Guy

Just an add on the monster plants... the plants are started indoors during winter and moved outdoors in spring so they are already a nice size to start if you read the "Sun shines on a hill.." thread Sub says the JTR plant that is in ground was grown indoors 2 months before being put into ground and mentions how it will turn into a tree... felt like that was missed in this thread. Maybe someone said that but I missed it due to a lot of mean bullshit being said. Either way boys can't we all just smoke a bong.... RELAX it's just a forum for helping out not being the most right.

If you do start indoors, be sure to harden off the plants before bringing them outside. You will also want to make sure that hours of light don't change dramatically or you can stress the plants and get premature flowering. That's what happened to me last summer. I didn't think it was a big deal to move them outside (they were about 4-5 ft at that point) and about half started to flower and then re-veg, which slows down growth and gives you a plant that depending on cultivar can be way too bushy! It really effed them up!

You'll want to adjust the indoor light cycle to slowly match the outdoor light they will be receiving, as well as possibly moving them outside for a few hours a day before you finally leave them out there for good.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

dont try to use super soil in a smaller pot than sub recommends.

the roots get to the hot soil too quick.

ask me how I know.....lol....

Dunge

Dunge

This is the cartoon I use:

Free ionic chlorine will quickly chemically bond to many things organic. This will confound the function of (aka poison) whatever material the atom is bound to and will remove that cl atom from participation in further havoc.

So, in a soil environment where there are abundant non-harmful sinks for cl, there may be very little damage done to microbes prior to free Cl levels falling to negligible levels.

Using this model, one might be more concerned in an ion rich slat based environment like DWC because the only organics to soak up Cl are microbes and roots. Thus a little free cl has a better shot at the tissues that are important to you.

organicozarks

organicozarks

Subcool's "super soil" is not based off of science. It proves he obviously does not know how nutrients get cycled by the microbes in the soil. A healthy plant can only take up so many nutrients. You can throw whatever you want at it, but it will only take what it needs. It is sad that everyone latches onto his soil like it is the best shit since sliced bread. There are WAY better soil mixes out there. I will say that Subcool as a breeder knows what he is doing. He is not just making a shit load of hybrids of Chem this and OG kush that. I give him props for this, but his soil makes me laugh every time.:)

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

When I was looking for trace elements online to buy I came across Subcool Super Soil Recipe. After a little research I going to give it a go after my next run.
My question or questions rather is does the water need to be PHed. I'm thinking it does but thought it best to ask. My other question is would tap water be good to use or should I go with RO.
A link to his recipe and a thread he had with lots of helpful info on the subject is below.

Don't use RO you don't need it.

Tap water if fine and comes out around 7 to 7.5 so if you have the money get a Ph pen and Ph your water your plants will love you for it. If you don't not a big deal.

Sub started adding worm casting about 18 months ago to his mix so Ph-ing is no big deal.

Most soil mixes need to be aged before use and that is because they use hot additives that will burn your roots. I kind of stay away from things like epson salt, heavy metals in it and other hot mixes I like to use my soil when I mix it so I keep it simple.

25% ProMix or Sunshine
25% Coco
25% worm Castings
15 % composted sheep shit
the other 10% is
Blood & bone meal
Green sand
kelp
and a few other things.

mycorrhizal and I get it here

Mix and just water, I do feed with molasses at the rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon every other feed.

FLeXiN420NyC

FLeXiN420NyC

Subcool's "super soil" is not based off of science. It proves he obviously does not know how nutrients get cycled by the microbes in the soil. A healthy plant can only take up so many nutrients. You can throw whatever you want at it, but it will only take what it needs. It is sad that everyone latches onto his soil like it is the best shit since sliced bread. There are WAY better soil mixes out there. I will say that Subcool as a breeder knows what he is doing. He is not just making a shit load of hybrids of Chem this and OG kush that. I give him props for this, but his soil makes me laugh every time.:)
I'm using this soil now. I literally just started growing. Found a seed in a lb of cookies and said fuck it I gotta start growing. Felt like it was a sign. Lol regardless I didn't know shit about any of this. I started scraping up pots and lights and a tent. I'm in NyC so it's not as simple as for most on this. I started with fox farm and came across tga. Been using it since then. Just out two of the plants in for flower yesterday so it'll be my first time flowering. I read you said you used it for a year and left it. Any reasons why it didn't work for you!? And did you use any extra nutes. Sorry I know I'm about a year off but like I said I just started and am trying to catch up on things.

indonesia

indonesia

i ran subs recipe it was awesome. the soil does a pretty good job of keeping ph. I literally just watered all the way thru and added some rhizotonic, and some organic sugars and boom the best results ive ever yielded. it feels good putting off a TRULY organic product. Tasted awesome, didnt make you choke, burned smooth. i love it

TOBY KEEF

TOBY KEEF

indo - can you give more details on that feed regimen? I'm getting my first grow ready and i'll be running the TGA soil. I've heard you can add in and I've read nothing but good things about Canna's line of nutes.

Top Bottom