Subcool Super Soil Question

• Thread starter Mike49048
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
indonesia

indonesia

his actual bag of supersoil? he recommends adding the other bag of tga "premium soil" and layering. ive experimented with adding cocoa and ocean forest, roots greenfields. i used "sourD" a few times in the middle and toward the end for sugar. I use the rhizo mostly for transplanting and a week or two after but in the supersoil its awesome. bigger the roots bigger the fruits. it says all you need is water and a top dressing of the supersoil at day 21-30 of flowering. best part of that is if you dont feed you dont have to flush. i just use the very minimal organic sugars.

TKO.Genetics

TKO.Genetics

I had a similar lesson learned over time. While I greatly appreciate his genetics and work and contributions to our cannabis culture I have found that much of the "super soil" practices contradict what I learned as a Ecology & Dendrology majors over my academic years . I think its worth noting that sub shares his trials and tribulations with his super soil and it has changed many times over the years but I still found it to be a amateur approach to something that is really a science.

With that, I think its the idea of what he has done that should be encouraged. Learn, grow, try new things and new formulations. Try to stay within the confides of the organic cycle and utilize things nature intended to be used for cultivation of flora. Is there a perfect soil or soil blend? Who is really to say other than Mother Nature and she only speaks to us when we put our thoughts and ideas to application :)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

hahaahahah same shit you wrote on one of my post,got it book marked i guess,the bad thing about summer is not everyone want to fight the heat so dont grow,in mean time go to what 10 year old post pick apart were OP wont defend hahahahh you science geeks trip me out ,bright side i guess is you feel important. subby should be proud,skipped right over ed and jorge just to rip stubby,hey what happened to the food chain hahah

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Sub cools recipe actually the reason I got into amended soils. I think Alot of people actually.
Definately a stepping stone. Nothing wrong with the recipe. Theres just better ones out there.
thats why it up to you,you might have next best thing,but dont thrash others,i dont thing personally there is the best soil,simply because your zone my zone his zone all diffrent,i tried his recipe years ago,didnt work for me in triple digits,it did veg the shit out of them,pooped out right around third week flower,,ive got to use clay in mine,no other way,sure as hell not going to water every day,ive got a 50 x50 garden down hill and 20 x 40 on top of hill,i dont even include the tent grow in any of it,i can grow weed in potting soil and cfl lights,have since the mid 70's,so it can be done,rock hard nugs coated with frost doesnt mean much,medicine is that i grow a lot of it with simple tools

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Not about what defending anything . This 10 year old post comes up in google when your search for something related to the topic. If someone new and inexperienced sees the recipe being discussed hell realize theres better options 10 years later. That's it that's all

As for being a science geek yeah that's me, bill Nye the science guy
View attachment 897335
spent your fortune on tats huh,well now im impressed,all mine cost a couple bags of soup,i dont waste money,hahahah

Kevcboudreau

Kevcboudreau

I know this is a very old thread. But subcools recipe is kind of bunk and only half of it makes sense. Somebody picks apart his recipe and breaks it down peice by peice. Very enlightening

Mycorrhizae: Adding this to your soil doesn't make sense and is a waste of resources. Anyone who works with mycorrhizae will tell you to apply to the rootzone at transplant or seedling stage. Obviously this super soil mix is for the bottom of the container and nowhere near the rootzone at the proper time. Basically just a complete waste of Myco.

25 to 50 lbs of organic worm castings: I agree with using wormcastings but that is a WIDE range to apply. Why 25 - 50? I think that when building your base mix you should be factoring in a certain percentage of castings and compost. Not adding to this all later on in a made up way.

5 lbs steamed bone meal - This is a by-product from the Cattle industry and is really not a good input for organic soil production. Fish bone meal however is great for this same purpose and is safer to use.

5 lbs Bloom bat guano - Guano is very expensive and really not neccessary. This is a fast release nutrient and is more in line with the feed the plant regimen instead of soil building. That and harvesting guano is rarely safe and sustainable, there are many reasons to avoid this.... Plus the Fish bone meal that we just mentioned has you covered already along with all the other plant based amendments and worm castings that you should be using.

5 lbs blood meal - More slaughterhouse waste and sure to be unclean. Why use the blood from McDonalds cows when you can add nitrogen so easily through alfalfa meal, fish meal and or worm castings.

3 lbs rock phosphate - This is the 3rd phosphate product and it makes sense because in a soil this rich and without the mycorrhizae actually working like it should there isn't going to be a very good way to access P. That's okay, in a properly built soil you don't need a million sources of P, the plants will get it and the biology and fungi will make sure of it. Not only that but soft rock phosphate is high in heavy metals like cadmium that are proven to be harmful. When growing cannabis, the trichomes will store the heavy metals and smoking the plant will not allow the typical body safety system of passing through the liver etc. before going into your blood. For this reason materials high in heavy metals are typically avoided.

¾ cup Epsom salts - Absolutely no reason to add more magnesium sulfate to a good soil mix. A little known fact about soil is that the Calcium to Magmesium Ratio will control the texture of the soil and adding epsom salts is a good way to tighten the soil and there are better ways to get sulfur, like gypsum.

½ cup sweet lime (dolomite) - Dolomite lime should be avoided as it is completely out of balance with the proper Calcium to magnesium ratios for proper soil building. Especially when considering long term no-till soil use.

½ cup azomite (trace elements) - This is good stuff and is just a "brand" name rock dust that has all the elements from A-Z hence Azomite.... thing is, that also includes heavy metals. While I'd use this in the veggie garden, many will avoid this in the medicine garden.

2 tbsp powdered humic acid - Good advice but humic acid typically purchased at the grow shop is from leanordite and isn't really helpful and is very expensive. Avoid this and get Ful-Power from Bio-ag and use it with waterings.

So then after all this work. You mix this up and let it sit for 30 days. Then use this in the BOTTOM of your soil container. What is interesting is that all though this makes sense at first glance... it's all way off. Nature doesn't have all the nutrients on the bottom in fact it's the opposite, all the plants in nature have the nutrients on the top. That is why building a soil, using mulch and topdressing work so well. It's things like this that make the real organic gardners and farmers laugh at all of us sometimes.

A RO filter for your outdoor garden hose costs 30 bucks. And every single supersoil or amended living soil manufacture tells to use de chlorinated water.
After all the other costs. 30 bucks fora garden hose filter isnt exactly breaking the banm
YOUR 100% right dude, Subcool is not the brightest scientist, That recipe is so rather stupid but again it was decent to use and maybe little bit of excess amendments were used but he was on to somthing a little less this and little more that and you got THE BEST MEDIUM known to man hands down but it was really old and theres so much info available now and then this was the best but then there was NADA so while its easy to say what was wrong with it, it was a begining to the culture we now have today. I give him props for at least making a supersoil and SHARING the recipe he thought and was good at the time Now we are evolving and the quality of cannabis is extremely better than 1980...thats because of trial and error and lots of info WE didnt have before the internet. DO YOU KNOW how HARD IT WAS to get INFO on cannabis cultivation? Man they would throw your ass in jail for even making FREEKING soil(at least they would try) or follow you at best. So I would suggest just writing to subcool and asking him personally what he was thinking and if he would make it different today. At least give the man some credit for STANDING up for this PLANT being cultivated.....Thats the least you could do to allow him to defend HIS GOOD NAME! as for you worrying about a newbie trying to make soil from an old recipe I am sure the millenial will KNOW that its old, so come on STOP trolling bro get on board lets just HELP one another not pick apart the past add to it bro!

Last edited:
Kevcboudreau

Kevcboudreau

Not about what defending anything . This 10 year old post comes up in google when your search for something related to the topic. If someone new and inexperienced sees the recipe being discussed hell realize theres better options 10 years later. That's it that's all

As for being a science geek yeah that's me, bill Nye the science guy
View attachment 897335
Whats those dot to dot tatoo on your hand mean? why would someone haved a cross, praying hands,and the code for MURDER on his neck? Seems you may be confused from other things other than than Subcools SUPERSOILto say the least. Try complimenting and uniting this great culture we are forunate to speak with each other on and help one another not hate and put things down. Together we rise, alone we FALL! lol....Have a good day and wish you much success in your farming skills brother!

Kevcboudreau

Kevcboudreau

You need to,chill your jets homeboy.......I have two greenhouses full of every organic veggie you could imagine......ignorant means I have no knowledge of the subject.......that is not the case........

Back to the question will the amount of chlorine in tap water kill all the micro-life in your soil......well from my experience using tap water in my greenhouses the 6 years I ran organic soil mixes one of which was actually super soil....the others around me who have to low of water pressure for filters...... no it dosn't........you don't have to have an RO machine to grow in soil......its an added bonus......your micro life is constantly dieing and replicating its self......am I wrong if I am is love to know........

Let's keep this civil. I don't feel someone should be hounded,and forced to spend a 100$ or more on something they don't need to........just because someone online says they will fail of they don't.........

So I stand by original statement no you do not need to absolutely use dechlorinated or RO water to reap the benfits of super soil or any other organic soil........

Feel free to debate with me, shit prove me wrong and ill fry up the egg on my face......

By the way I'm now currently growing in a super soil type mix using cns17 maxicrop liquid fish in tap water. I do not ph my fish mix or straight tap just the cns17.....
Your clearly IGNORANT. if your saying that using TAPWATER is good in any way for ORGANIC CULTIVATION. This post is one of the dumbest I have read. Just because you grow in soil and have had some success at it doesnt mean your suuccess ,yeild,terpens and THC% couldnt have been drastically increased ,you want to use every advantage you can to CREATE and MULTIPLY bacteria and fungal properties to enhance the rate of breakdown of your ammendments youve added to your medium CHLORINE KILLs those however many or few it still DECREASES the amount and thats EXACTLY opposite of what your attempting to accomplish or at least what the MAIONSTREAM of intelligent ORGANIC farmer are attempting. And if you can FRY eggs on your face well then why arent you doing that on AMERICAS got talent and just BUYING all those ORGANIC veggies and cannabis your not growing to its fulkl potential?? lol

Kevcboudreau

Kevcboudreau

I had a similar lesson learned over time. While I greatly appreciate his genetics and work and contributions to our cannabis culture I have found that much of the "super soil" practices contradict what I learned as a Ecology & Dendrology majors over my academic years . I think its worth noting that sub shares his trials and tribulations with his super soil and it has changed many times over the years but I still found it to be a amateur approach to something that is really a science.

With that, I think its the idea of what he has done that should be encouraged. Learn, grow, try new things and new formulations. Try to stay within the confides of the organic cycle and utilize things nature intended to be used for cultivation of flora. Is there a perfect soil or soil blend? Who is really to say other than Mother Nature and she only speaks to us when we put our thoughts and ideas to application :)
Well spoken!!

Top Bottom