Swole’s First Grow

• Thread starter SwoleGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Formallyhap

Formallyhap

hydro is easier than dirt growing imo, all my most trouble free grows have been hydroponic

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

hydro is easier than dirt growing imo, all my most trouble free grows have been hydroponic
I agree, but think soil will be as easy also once I start growing organic. I’m using maxibloom because I was unaware of the supersoil having to cook and was unprepared. Hydro still a breeze though no doubt about it. You got any supersoil grows?

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

I am old school, so yes, of course. I use my own soil mix now, I use a lot of peat and perlite, and then supplement with organic dry stuff like super soil does , but much I go much less hot. Then I have a 100 gallon fishtank with filters and all that jazz but no fish that I run all my nutes through before they hit the plants. Having "living" nutrient solution that I water with has made dirt much easier.

The problem is if you plopped me somewhere else and I couldn't get the stuff I use to make my soil, I wouldn't even try to grow in dirt.

Plus my girl can read instructions and not kill my hydro grows, I can switch to a bigger res and leave for a week or longer and come home to nice plants still. She won't remember to water dirt plants.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

I am old school, so yes, of course. I use my own soil mix now, I use a lot of peat and perlite, and then supplement with organic dry stuff like super soil does , but much I go much less hot. Then I have a 100 gallon fishtank with filters and all that jazz but no fish that I run all my nutes through before they hit the plants. Having "living" nutrient solution that I water with has made dirt much easier.

The problem is if you plopped me somewhere else and I couldn't get the stuff I use to make my soil, I wouldn't even try to grow in dirt.

Plus my girl can read instructions and not kill my hydro grows, I can switch to a bigger res and leave for a week or longer and come home to nice plants still. She won't remember to water dirt plants.
Care to elaborate on your fish tank setup and what nutes you’re running through it to feed your soil? Sounds interesting.

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

I learned to grow from the perspective of an aquariust, I had fishtanks my whole life. Then I started growing pot and read about aquaponics but didn't want to keep fresh water fish, since I am a Marine fish and coral snob. So in a fish tank bacteria in the filters breaks down the constituent waste products into usable stuff for the plants. So I figured if I added stuff like worm castings or molasses or whatever else I could cut out the fresh water fish. It works out pretty well. I buy whatever is marked down at the grow shop and add tiny bits of it depending on what stage I am in, not organic nutes, not like miracle grow. I add those nutes to the tank the week before I want to use them, then I water with that. Use or dump whatever is left over to get the tank to half full and then fill with ro/di water.

the tank smells good, like sweet earth tea, it's basically a giant batch of tea that I keep going all the time so the bacteria breaks some stuff down before it hits the plants, and keeps the fauna up in the soil mix.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

I learned to grow from the perspective of an aquariust, I had fishtanks my whole life. Then I started growing pot and read about aquaponics but didn't want to keep fresh water fish, since I am a Marine fish and coral snob. So in a fish tank bacteria in the filters breaks down the constituent waste products into usable stuff for the plants. So I figured if I added stuff like worm castings or molasses or whatever else I could cut out the fresh water fish. It works out pretty well. I buy whatever is marked down at the grow shop and add tiny bits of it depending on what stage I am in, not organic nutes, not like miracle grow. I add those nutes to the tank the week before I want to use them, then I water with that. Use or dump whatever is left over to get the tank to half full and then fill with ro/di water.

the tank smells good, like sweet earth tea, it's basically a giant batch of tea that I keep going all the time so the bacteria breaks some stuff down before it hits the plants, and keeps the fauna up in the soil mix.
Nice bro. I’m a fish guy also, been had the same 75gal tank since 1999. Kept 2 oscars one albino & one fan tail along with a pleco for 10yrs they all were well over a foot long & eventually ended up feeding them dog food and goldfish lol. I still have the tank, it’s inactive and full of salt from when I took the saltwater down. I’d like to try your method to feed, I don’t want to use salts but will if I have to until my soil is ready.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

When I was reckless
7F554A3E 9820 4564 A405 D6DAD903A287
384693FE 4428 46E4 BB0E 1D4A8ED24D2F

7000999B 5DE8 4814 9BE3 D1A2851EEA69
F15BD6B2 1895 4102 883A 62BE61227EAB

Formallyhap

Formallyhap

So, not to be a downer, but watch some of the videos on lighting on youtube if you get a chance, migro did an interview the apogee guy and it turns out the whole thing we've done for years with the MH in veg is counter production.

That box looks really nice, way better than a tent. Magnets and weather stripping can make really slick doors.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

So, not to be a downer, but watch some of the videos on lighting on youtube if you get a chance, migro did an interview the apogee guy and it turns out the whole thing we've done for years with the MH in veg is counter production.

That box looks really nice, way better than a tent. Magnets and weather stripping can make really slick doors.
I welcome all info that’ll make me a better grower. Thanks for pointing that out & I’ll be using the HPS instead of the MH. Besides the blue, the HPS is a much better light and if worried about more stretching, training can solve that.
I’m diggin the box too, it was a breeze compared to the 8x8 I built.

You have a pic or link to the magnets & weather stripping? I used adhesive Velcro stitched around the edges of orca film to seal my 8x8. Those magnets intrigue me lol

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Seeds arrived today!!
Wild Thai was ordered specifically for the upcoming Guerilla Grow
A848FDD6 054B 443D 89B0 0376A04120F5

Gorilla Cookies
8502B898 7D28 4FC6 BE80 0C63956C82F1

Jack Herer
06E5B6D2 B2D3 4EA3 A63B E06484D825A0

AD37D6A3 4398 425F 8F0F AFA282C900E0

Blueberry
609A2416 6128 48C5 9CB3 9DF54D0543FA

These will ease the grow stress of waiting on sex to show.

D6180118 C6CC 4E71 9D71 9CB461FE0FDF
SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Been holding out on feeding these since I burned them a couple weeks ago. I’ve only flushed them out to reset the media and it’s showing.
78BCDF29 6438 4982 BCCB F83627D2F984

That incident turned me to going organic with a living soil from here on out.

The last of the ingredients for the teas made it today, so let’s get these babies on the road to recovery.
1DD98766 B5E4 46A2 A781 EBAEA750E3AE

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Day 4 from flip before lights out. This shit is like waiting on your lady to go into labor, sheesh....
I need to see some nuts or hairs, lol.
Two of the four may be female
E0EF499B D718 462D A67F 5D0EE966979E
1E6DD7F1 D441 4C8C B4D1 0F9ACB074C8E

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

I’m 6ft 1/2in on my good days and the plants are shoulder/neck height. I did 3 weeks seedling stage & 4 weeks veg. Hopefully I don’t get too much of a stretch
E9ADF882 A266 4B3F 8C09 565C670E58E6

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

FD98CA1B 0B5D 49CB 9FDD 2B0A0A243A05

This happened when I broke (literally) the branch from the stem and had to zip-tie it back for it to heal.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Another milestone reached, 3 of the 4 are female.
9F699CF8 A469 4E0A B51A B37FFEE80E3A
F9183C2D B044 4DDC 896E DA45651B2043
C2316DF3 CCEE 456E BB62 D32B8F833988

Only waiting on the runt of the group to show now, why it’s the runt I have no clue, as a seedling it was the largest of the four, but halted growth for like a week almost, so now it’s the smallest.
From canopy level it looks like I only have 3 plants
063A6E8D 96B0 49DB 8541 4A27B2EB945B

That’s because the runt hasn’t made it that high
E4D225F1 EDA1 416E B3AA 72EC29D71093

Nonetheless. It grew and will be showing soon.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Today makes 1 week from flip.
Was up all night last night rearranging the lighting & fans because of plant height as I did no training, only topped once to get 4 main colas.

I removed the ratchet hangers completely and just used the hooks that I have mounted into the ceiling, they hang about an inch and the hook eyes that came pre-mounted on the light fixtures are what the hooks are holding. This gained me another 6-8 inches

My next grow immediately following this one will be at least 6 plants in an 8x8 (could be 8 that need to be flowered by then) I will have researched the Scrog method & run with it if it’s the best way with the number of plants.

Any recommendations from those experienced in multi plants Scrog are welcomed

**Thinking about it real time, I will gain a few inches in headroom this next grow because all plants are in fabric pots where currently I’m running rdwc in 5 gal pots which are taller than the fabric pots.

Updated pics when they wake later

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

And just like that it ends.
9DD430DC 66DF 44D2 AE12 74EAE31AC5FF

Found these on the bottom half of all 4 plants.

Top Bottom