Tail separated from Seed head - is it toast?

• Thread starter Budclarkson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Budclarkson

Gaaaahhh! The seed head dropped off the end of the tail when planting in the usual small pencil head pit in soil. Covered and watered anyway. Tail was about 0.7” long. Will it sprout or will it surely die off?

Any remediation?

B

Budclarkson

Sorry no pic as it was already in the soil pit. Could not find the seed shell amongst the dirt and more poking at with my gorilla hands and a stabby paper clip would have only make things worse. I left it a bit too long in the PT blanket and got away from me.

Read elsewhere it should be good to go as there is nothing in the seed husk that it needs anymore. Just along for the ride. Hope their right.

So I’ll report back if it sprouts or not. Of course it’s a first time try on a gorilla strain.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
like said if it’s just cast it’s shell your good it’s normal
It sounded like you meant the head got cut off on your first post on the second I get the feeling your plants just cast it shell ( what we call it’s hat sometimes ) witch is normal and good.

Just leave it alone!!! Lol and it will start producing its first true leaves.

I know it’s easy to get caught up in it and poke about but don’t just let it do it’s thing as long as the soils moist and not over wet it will start growing above ground at first it’s just settling in shooting out roots when it pops it’s hat or shell it starts producing leaves. The first are cotyledons and will fall of once the the plants are done with them

Last edited:
B

Budclarkson

So you're saying the sprout fell out of the seed shell??
If Yes, its fine.
If the head of the sprout broke off in the seed shell its toast.

I couldn’t really see it, just noticed the white tail bare on both ends just before covering. Could not see/find the seed shell in the dirt area so left it alone rather than make things worse. If no sprout I’ll dig up a spoon full and do a sad post mortem.

B

Budclarkson

Next time skip the paper towel and just plant the soaked seed(s).
Or just plant the seeds like in nature.
I’ve popped maybe a dozen with the method used by Mr GreenJeans using the damp PT in a ziplock bag blown up like a humidity dome. I’ll usually cycle the air the next day checking if it’s popped in the PT.

Three actually popped in the cup of water as I left it in longer than normal. Went right into the starter pot.

I haven’t lost a seed…yet, but I would blame it on handling. I didn’t have my tweezers, had left them in the car pushing pins into the back of the Radio Head.

B

Budclarkson

my seed supplier says do not put in a plastic bag as it needs oxygen.
It has O2 as described above. I use a Quart or Gallon ziplock. Supplier probably doesn’t want complaints the seeds didnt thrive cuz I see many complaining they had duds which most are likely due to new pilot error.

A couple sprouted today. Maybe we’ll see something tomorrow on the gorilla plant.

0513B72C B9FA 4188 B950 15BEB43F37AF

B

Budclarkson

I also have seen comments it’s better to pop the seed in a medium which is what the PT is serving as, than have it happen in an ocean of water, sink and no O2. Drowns?

WonkasTHC

WonkasTHC

I also have seen comments it’s better to pop the seed in a medium which is what the PT is serving as, than have it happen in an ocean of water, sink and no O2. Drowns?
You are over complicating it man, im sorry but you really are.

Soak the seed(s) 12-24 hours in a 70/30 mix of water/h2o2 and plant it in the grow medium.
Or, as in nature just plant the seed!

All the extra steps you take arent needed.

Glassdub

Glassdub

my seed supplier says do not put in a plastic bag as it needs oxygen.
Wrong, I soak 12-24 hr in 5ml 3% HP to cup water, then to paper towel soaked in same solution, in zip lock on heating pad set to 80F, in 1-2 days tap roots form & I put in Jiffy pods hydrated in same solution. I USED to go directly into Jiffy pods after soaking UNTIL I got burned having seedlings growing upside downward & petering out before turning around & reaching surface, better to sprout first & get the tap root pointing right ways down from the get go in pod IMO.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I have found that if I don’t bury the seeds but a half inch into the dirt and provide enough roughage to help aid in the removal of the seed cap, I will have to do it manually. Hope this helps ✌️
Exactly, I have also made the mistake of planting too close to surface, helmet didn't rub off in soil & also got too leggy above before forming a root base below, killed whole batches of seedings, embarrassingly not long ago this way. I don't think a full half inch in a pod is necessary if sprouted beforehand but a little below the top of soil.

Glassdub

Glassdub

You are over complicating it man, im sorry but you really are.

Soak the seed(s) 12-24 hours in a 70/30 mix of water/h2o2 and plant it in the grow medium.
Or, as in nature just plant the seed!

All the extra steps you take arent needed.
Yeah , but in nature a lot of seeds die & some survive, to save the cost of losing pricy seedlings I little human intervention helps.

WonkasTHC

WonkasTHC

Yeah , but in nature a lot of seeds die & some survive, to save the cost of losing pricy seedlings I little human intervention helps.
I will agree to disagree!
I do 12-24 hour soak and plant or just plant and ive only lost 8 seeds in 5 years.
Imo, it gets rid of the weak ones that would pop being babied In a PT.
No one has time for weak little runty plants.

And i wont pay over 100 a pack for seeds so it doesnt hurt at all when a seed doesnt pop cause ill clone till pigs fly dude. Ill grow the same plant for multiple runs before starting a new bean.. Get ya moneys worth.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
It has O2 as described above. I use a Quart or Gallon ziplock. Supplier probably doesn’t want complaints the seeds didnt thrive cuz I see many complaining they had duds which most are likely due to new pilot error.

A couple sprouted today. Maybe we’ll see something tomorrow on the gorilla plant.

View attachment 2096426
Looks fine.
The gorilla is it a auto
Just running one myself atm from sensi fat seeds

Latest posts

Top Bottom