Tea Recipe

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushsmoker30

hey Cap, if i use a bubble bag to strain my tea what micron would u recommend using?

K

kushsmoker30

Get a 5 gallon paint strainer from casa depot.

outwest

dose that remove enough of the sludge? been using panyhoes n seems like some stuff gets threw, not sure if thats da bennies or some of the stuff i'm suppose to remove.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Panty hose work fine. I water it in sludge and all.

outwest

click80

click80

A Few Fungi Tips from the Experts

See Tip #4 about size of strainer. This page is where the information is from. That whole site is a good info resource.

peace.

Tip #1

• If you want to increase the diversity of your compost tea, we suggest adding a cup or two of garden soil. Better yet, if your compost tea recipe calls for fungal compost, include a cup or two of soil from a nearby forest.
By adding these additional soils, you're ensuring your tea is inoculated with a wide range of soil microbes. These soils are like a biological catalyst, or compost tea activator.

Tip #2

• When we want to ensure we've got fungi in our tea, we will brew it, and then add spores of mycorrhizal fungi. Mycorrhizal fungi act as a wonderful inoculum to any fungal compost tea recipe. These fungi naturally form beneficial relationships with approximately 95% of all plant species. They aid in nutrient transfer to plants, and help to create better soil conditions. Here is
a great site

• if you'd like more information on mycorrhizal fungi.
Tip #3

• We can't claim this last tip to be our own. It comes from the incredible book,
Teaming with Microbes

• , by authors, Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis. In it, Lowenfels and Lewis suggest you "give fungi a head start." Since it can be difficult to get fungi to multiple (they do grow in size, just rarely in number) during the compost tea brewing process, the authors recommend growing them prior to the brewing process.
To do this, you'll want to moisten a couple cups of compost (just damp, not dripping wet), and then put it in a light-resistant container. Then grind up some simple proteins (fungal foods), such as oatmeal, and mix them in with the moist compost. Cover partially with a lid, and then place in a warm, dark area. We typically put ours under our sink, or above our fridge in a cupboard. After about 3 days, you'll remove the lid, and find a bunch of fungal myceliathroughout the compost. You can now use this compost to brew your fungal tea.

Tip #4

• Don't accidentally filter out your fungi (and nematodes) when straining your tea. When filtering your tea, be sure your screen is as close to 400 micrometers as possible. Paint strainers, from your local hardware store, work quite well for this function. Avoid using socks or pillowcases, since their fibers are too tigh

click80

click80

You know I had a thought while reading in Dr. Inghams book. The better your compost, or in our case, the better the microbes you are culturing then the more important aeration becomes because of competition I would think. In other words since Caps bennies have such high counts then maybe less is better if you don't have a really good pump.

I know that using the pump that came with the Bountea kit worked fine for the Bountea recipe, but the time my big pump went out while I was brewing Caps tea and I had to use the one from the Bountea kit (its small like a little aquarium pump) because the hydro store was closed (it was a sunday) I had no foam after 24 hours. As soon as I got to the store and replaced the pump it starting building foam about 4 hours later. I am really big on putting major O2 into my teas.

So if you have a small pump then maybe, if you are not getting foam, you could reduce the amount of bennies you put in and then there wouldn't be any competition for oxygen.

Just a thought. Also remember that there is more than a few experts that say foam should not be looked at as the one indicator of a healthy tea, but one of a few different indicators. For instance cheap worm castings that are not processed properly and contain pieces of dead worms will make a tea foam up abundantly. Fwiw.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

You know I had a thought while reading in Dr. Inghams book. The better your compost, or in our case, the better the microbes you are culturing then the more important aeration becomes because of competition I would think. In other words since Caps bennies have such high counts then maybe less is better if you don't have a really good pump.

I know that using the pump that came with the Bountea kit worked fine for the Bountea recipe, but the time my big pump went out while I was brewing Caps tea and I had to use the one from the Bountea kit (its small like a little aquarium pump) because the hydro store was closed (it was a sunday) I had no foam after 24 hours. As soon as I got to the store and replaced the pump it starting building foam about 4 hours later. I am really big on putting major O2 into my teas.

So if you have a small pump then maybe, if you are not getting foam, you could reduce the amount of bennies you put in and then there wouldn't be any competition for oxygen.

Just a thought. Also remember that there is more than a few experts that say foam should not be looked at as the one indicator of a healthy tea, but one of a few different indicators. For instance cheap worm castings that are not processed properly and contain pieces of dead worms will make a tea foam up abundantly. Fwiw.

Great information click - I brew tea at 2 separate locations and at 1 site I use an expensive air pump with 4-5 stones, the other I used a cheap air pump (like the one that comes with the EZ cloner) with 2 stones and saw WAY less foam activity in the one with the cheap air pump. I use the same ingredients at both...

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
hey Cap, if i use a bubble bag to strain my tea what micron would u recommend using?

I don't know. I have never useed a bubble bag. Here is a littel excerpt I took from the net though :

"I found a bag at Walmart that was designed to be used to wash ladies bras. It has a nylon zipper on either & the word "Tide" on the tag. It was about $4.00 and the mesh size is perfect for tea brewing purposes. It holds what I consider to be the right amout of my compost for brewing a 5 gallon bucket full of tea"...

click80

click80

I know this might seem off topic but its not. I have read in several places now that have done different studies which involved Sunshine Mix and Sunshine Mix Pro. Sunshine seems to have superior Mycorrhizhal inoculations than other brands and brand mixes.

I would like to know that out of the people using teas of anyone that does use Sunshine and what mix they use or recipe? Also what nute regimen they use with that Sunshine type or mix or recipe? Organic or Chem or a mixture of chem and organic nutes? Schedule? (water water feed for example).

I know that this is a pain in the ass question so if nobody has time it's no biggie. I just can't sit on the computer long perusing forums because I get ballbuster migraines. Not to be a crybaby, just a fact.

squiggly

squiggly

I know this might seem off topic but its not. I have read in several places now that have done different studies which involved Sunshine Mix and Sunshine Mix Pro. Sunshine seems to have superior Mycorrhizhal inoculations than other brands and brand mixes.

I would like to know that out of the people using teas of anyone that does use Sunshine and what mix they use or recipe? Also what nute regimen they use with that Sunshine type or mix or recipe? Organic or Chem or a mixture of chem and organic nutes? Schedule? (water water feed for example).

I know that this is a pain in the ass question so if nobody has time it's no biggie. I just can't sit on the computer long perusing forums because I get ballbuster migraines. Not to be a crybaby, just a fact.

Ummmm, no--this is definitely off topic.

The topic is Tea Recipes for Cap's Bennies not Sunshine's.

Furthermore you're talking about nute regimens and whatnot.

I mean, I hope your migraine feels better and all--but yeah this question should be it's own thread.

In other news, I'm willing to bet that Cap's Mycorrhizal formulation kicks the dog shit out of whatever comes along with Sunshine.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Sounds like squiggs is in a bad mood...

Anyway, I use sunshine #4 with Caps, and organic nutes and my plants are fucking stellar. No more pHing or testing PPM. My beds need to be watered twice a week so I give tea then just top the res back off for the second watering...Recipe is:
Humisoil
EWC
Bioactivator
Hibrix Molasses
Root and Foliar pack
***sometimes ill throw a tbsp or 2 of my bloom top dressing
thats it

GR33N

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter

this is defintely supposed to be in another thread, but it's all good. If you are using the nute pack you will not need any other myco source. :)

100 spores/gram of each species. You can't miss.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

100 spores/gram of each species. You can't miss.

yep, you can't miss. just throw em in there...
a word to the wise- using nute pack in my tea literally made my roots too strong- by the time they were formed enough to transplant, they were digging into the sides of my pots.
never experimented with adding other myco sources to the tea...I find it's more than enough to mix (1 tsp per 1 gal, 2 tsp per 5 gal) the nute pack into the soil during transplanting.

I like the tea primarily for the root pack- i feel like this has the most beneficial impact and is the reason to brew tea. (most of the reason to brew traditional compost tea is to spawn the cultures also found in this pack) If I understand correctly, the microbes in this pack are the ones chiefly responsible for enzyme production and balancing cation exchange between the roots and the media. Those two actions fix the problems that are the most difficult to assess, and are often the missing link in a garden.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
yep, you can't miss. just throw em in there...
a word to the wise- using nute pack in my tea literally made my roots too strong- by the time they were formed enough to transplant, they were digging into the sides of my pots.
never experimented with adding other myco sources to the tea...I find it's more than enough to mix (1 tsp per 1 gal, 2 tsp per 5 gal) the nute pack into the soil during transplanting.

I like the tea primarily for the root pack- i feel like this has the most beneficial impact and is the reason to brew tea. (most of the reason to brew traditional compost tea is to spawn the cultures also found in this pack) If I understand correctly, the microbes in this pack are the ones chiefly responsible for enzyme production and balancing cation exchange between the roots and the media. Those two actions fix the problems that are the most difficult to assess, and are often the missing link in a garden.

Yeah the root pack is my favorite as well.

click80

click80

I worded it wrong. What the different studies I read were that no matter what brand bennies you were inoculating into Sunshine (not the pro) Sunshine always had better results, regardless the brand. So that's why I was asking if anyone had experience with using teas, hopefully caps, with sunshine mix. But yeah I will just figure it out myself.

click80

click80

here is one of the studies. It has nothing to do with Sunshine having superior Myco's, they didin't use the Pro mix.

Table #4 shows that Sunshine (or basically peat moss) has higher inoculation from most of the products and if you read down the Sunshine had overall better results when root to plant mass ratios were taken...etc So that is why I was wondering about other's experience using Teas with Sunshine and if they had to use much of additional nutes. I just worded it wrong. I also figured some people might find it interesting that Sunshine did so well when using microbes.

squiggly

squiggly

I worded it wrong. What the different studies I read were that no matter what brand bennies you were inoculating into Sunshine (not the pro) Sunshine always had better results, regardless the brand. So that's why I was asking if anyone had experience with using teas, hopefully caps, with sunshine mix. But yeah I will just figure it out myself.

Well THAT is a legitimate question.

My buddy actually uses caps with sunshine--and has great results. He essentially uses alien's nute schedule at half strength (he's growing smaller plants).

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Sounds like squiggs is in a bad mood...

Anyway, I use sunshine #4 with Caps, and organic nutes and my plants are fucking stellar. No more pHing or testing PPM. My beds need to be watered twice a week so I give tea then just top the res back off for the second watering...Recipe is:
Humisoil
EWC
Bioactivator
Hibrix Molasses
Root and Foliar pack
***sometimes ill throw a tbsp or 2 of my bloom top dressing
thats it

GR33N

Yo GR33N - Why do you use both the bioactivator and the hibrix molasses? Bioactivator is powdered molasses with some other goodies. I prefer the Bioactivator, personally.

What nutes are you using withe the cap's combo?

outwest

Latest posts

Top Bottom