the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
We spent 1 winter in Florida just south of Daytona the year we retired, I loved it. The cost of everything was so much cheaper and not having to pay $300-$400 in heating per month almost made it balance out the costs of staying there over here. Arthritis put me in a wheelchair for a couple of years and travelling put too much of a toll on my wife. Now I've had both hips replaced and I'm back to being human again so who knows. With my disdain for winters up north here I might have to put my growing on hold and head south again. Now convincing my wife to bring the cats and fish along is going to be the real challenge.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Southern gulf islands BC
I spent my youth throughout the gulf islands and I claim to have been on them all. Some I cheated on where I hopped off a ferry then ran back on to go but, Galiano,Saltspings,Maine ,Sauturna,Quadra,Corteze, Denman and a bunch more I've forgotten were my stomping grounds in my late teens and 20's.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I spent my youth throughout the gulf islands and I claim to have been on them all. Some I cheated on where I hopped off a ferry then ran back on to go but, Galiano,Saltspings,Maine ,Sauturna,Quadra,Corteze, Denman and a bunch more I've forgotten were my stomping grounds in my late teens and 20's.

Having started in NS and ended up here in my late teens, I'm not sure I could ever move back to NS. Like you said the 8 months of garbage weather does a persons head in. The people are nicer back east though. There is that.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Having started in NS and ended up here in my late teens, I'm not sure I could ever move back to NS. Like you said the 8 months of garbage weather does a persons head in. The people are nicer back east though. There is that.
Ya 8 months of bad weather followed by 4 months of weather the locals complain about. I'm a freak here, liking the hot weather and being more active on the hottest days has my neighbors scratching their heads. Sure the young like the heat but the ones with initiative leave for greener pastures. So we're left with miserable old folks and most of them hate the heat and humidity that comes with it and I don't, so I'm the odd ball.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

20190920 130346

20190920 160719

20190920 130358

20190806 185426

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I'm trying to make some room?! hardly a day goes by when I don't wish I had bought 2 five by five tents instead of the four-by-four for veg because I have no room :/

I'm doing okay with two plants to a pot so I'm going to be doing that for the near future :/ my other option is to cull plants but I'm doing okay w/ 2 to a pot as long as I don't let them get too big but this is the first time the Indian bubblegums are going 2 up, and they grow into big round bushes so that could be an issue, I guess I'll find out?

Once I get that nightmare Jobe's Spike grow Romberry chopped in one more week I'll have a little more room but right now most of the plants are fairly small except for that and a giant gorilla glue both are tied up like shrubs in Winter not exactly optimal but not much choice

A last thought on the spike grow, it's probably the worst cannabis-related idea I've had. Likely because I didn't put enough spikes in when I ran out of tomato spikes I started using the 4-4-4 again and that probably didn't help either don't give a damn need to get it out! I was planning to do it for a while, glad I did it, I'm over it. I'm going to leave it 1 more week to see if it fills out any but it could be harvested right now if I absolutely had to

Here are two Romberry still in veg, the one on the left is the Promix experiment. I may well be culling it today depending how I do for space? it's more stretchy than the other one which probably has more to do with lack of light but I don't need both, I won't be running Romberry again this year...
20190922 072815

Didn't treat my first Pro mix plant any different than the plants in soil mix, didn't notice any difference in how it grew either so I may well be switching to Pro mix for cost, ease-of-use and access to product

Even though we're having a nice little Indian Summer, today will probably be the only day I don't head to the beach all week to enjoy this beautiful mid-70s weather.

this is my favorite Beach weather right here but I'm a huge baseball fan and even though my bosox shit the bed this year, even so I'm going to watch them lose the rest of their games (no exaggeration they're terrible! they're the most mismanaged team I've ever seen: Alex Cora has to go! 😡 ) because after that there's only hockey & not the biggest fan but I'm going to try to follow it again this year

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The other thought I had was cull the giant gorilla glue thats about 3 weeks into bloom, harvest the romberry and I would have all the room in the world in both bloom & veg tents, and it would enable me to start running smaller plants!? 👏 🙏 👍 🤞

If I do cull the giant Glue the only thing that will go 2-to-1 pot would be the black dogs because they do very well like that, but I don't think the Indian Bubblegum's would do as well doubled up? :/

I had this thought because I'm currently about to chop and hang a small Blackberry Gum no taller than 18"

yet it still produced about half of my usual 3-4 zips and I can put 2 or even 3 small plants close together in the space one big plant takes. so I'm rethinking things

These are short plants anyway but anything can be kept short, it's not rocket science just takes a little discipline on my part I guess, plus I could go back to one plant per pot, so I guess this is a decision I'm going to have to make before I up pot anything today?

plus I'm getting tired of my lanky stretchy monsters so chopping that one monster glue is a real consideration (the lights just went out 10 minutes ago so I don't have a picture of it but it's probably close to 6 ft tall with dozens of tops, but it is already too tall to get most tops under the light anyway!?) :/

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The other thought I had was cull the giant gorilla glue thats about 3 weeks into bloom, harvest the romberry and I would have all the room in the world in both bloom & veg tents, and it would enable me to start running smaller plants!? 👏 🙏 👍 🤞
^ this..

So I guess it looks like curtains for the giant gorilla glue.. (best option for me, not so much for the giant gorilla glue plant!)

I'll probably try one pot with two little Indian Bubblegum's in it to see how they do together in my 3 gallon pots; if I used 5 gallons it wouldn't be a problem as long as I'm keeping them small, but in 3 gals. might be close?!

This has been going on for a long time, I grow Gorilla Glue and RomBerry often and they're both huge plants and it's become an unmanageable nightmare!

Not the first time I've considered this but this is the first time I'm actually going to do it! (most likely?) Won't be till 6 a.m. tomorrow morning if I do chop it, but if I'm honest it will completely transform the way I grow! (aka. My semi hands-off, natural style)

Stand by for action: Stay tuned for Adventure!

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

^ so not just one but three rambling posts yesterday trying to justify what I'm about to do! lol (I'm a bit change-resistant, but mostly I just don't like killing healthy plants!)

Just about to put the coffee on, this is the big morning when it all happens and I have three hours to do it in ...and I'm doing it!

This is will completely change my grow!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

so the sodium light is not going to let me show the beautiful green color of this Indian bubble gum (Indiana Bubblegum X Bubba Kush), and you know my lazy ass is not going to drag it out just for a picture LOL but that's not the reason I want to post the picture anyway..

I just did a mini flush, w/ about 25% runoff, I do it every so often, but with the Master Blend my runoff is just unbelievable, it was 6.5 / 472 PPM! And my plants are so happy like this! :)

I noticed I'm feeding a lot less and at a lot lower PPM since I started using the Master blend and I'm having no issues at all!

20190925 082837

I like Masterblend much better than GH flora where I was always adding calcium/magnesium and feeding at very high PPM (and consequently had very low runoff) often chasing one deficiency or the other and sometimes both! I haven't added calmag once since I've been using Master Blend, it's a game changer! :)

Last edited:
TerriR

TerriR

so the sodium light is not going to let me show the beautiful green color of this Indian bubble gum (Indiana Bubblegum X Bubba Kush), and you know my lazy ass is not going to drag it out just for a picture LOL but that's not the reason I want to post the picture anyway..

I just did a mini flush, w/ about 25% runoff, I do it every so often, but with the Master Blend my runoff is just unbelievable, it was 6.5 / 472 PPM! And my plants are so happy like this! :)

I noticed I'm feeding a lot less and at a lot lower PPM since I started using the Master blend and I'm having no issues at all!

View attachment 898675

I like Masterblend much better than GH flora where I was always adding calcium/magnesium and feeding at very high PPM (and consequently had very low runoff) often chasing one deficiency or the other and sometimes both! I haven't added calmag once since I've been using Master Blend, it's a game changer! :)
I like to too but wondering: do you change the formula for flower vs veg? I cannot find any instructions for flower...

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I like to too but wondering: do you change the formula for flower vs veg? I cannot find any instructions for flower...
I haven't yet but if I did I would probably cut it with Peters Bloom booster 10-30-20 or some other PK product but I tend to like to feed balance nutes through most of flowering, I simply increase the PPM if I feel it needs it but I haven't fed higher than 500 (maybe once or twice when I started with it I fed 700 but didn't need it) and then perhaps the last 2-3 weeks I'll begin to feed at a lower PPM, and the last few feedings over a week or ten days or so is plain water

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

View attachment 898675

No calmag or no extra calmag? I was seeing a deficiency in a few leafs at about 2+ wks.
20190922 191302

I had 3 leafs like this one, this being the worst, on 12 plants so I caught it early. I wasn't giving the proper percentage of the cal.

I mixed up one gallon of each at 2.4gms of the tomato and cal and 1.2gms of the Epsom then started using 1/4 cup of each, mixed with water to make up a gal. 1/2 cup of each with water makes a full recommend amount.

I'm now using full strength on the month old plants and will start the new seedling when they pop with 1/4 cup and work up.

MasterBlend ROCKS!

Basil in MasterBlend Kratky pot.
20190924 140036

How fun is that?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

No calmag or no extra calmag? I was seeing a deficiency in a few leafs at about 2+ wks.
View attachment 898704
I had 3 leafs like this one, this being the worst, on 12 plants so I caught it early. I wasn't giving the proper percentage of the cal.

I mixed up one gallon of each at 2.4gms of the tomato and cal and 1.2gms of the Epsom then started using 1/4 cup of each, mixed with water to make up a gal. 1/2 cup of each with water makes a full recommend amount.

I'm now using full strength on the month old plants and will start the new seedling when they pop with 1/4 cup and work up.

MasterBlend ROCKS!

Basil in MasterBlend Kratky pot.
View attachment 898705
How fun is that?
It's almost too much fun!? ;) ..haven't touched the Cal Mag bottle with the exception of a couple older plants I sprayed once or twice in the old soil mix, but with the combination of the richer soil blend I've started using (or even the experiment in the Pro mix), everything fed with Master blend is totally hands-off..! I luv MB!

Top Bottom