Beachwalker

Beachwalker

who did the Bubble x Bubba?
No idea, it was an add-on to get some freebies and quickly becoming a fave
Screenshot 20190925 194827 Chrome

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Ah, soil, promax, etc. A hybrid-er, eh?

I don't know why I just assume hydro nutes = hydro grow. I see a lot of people doing it but I read so many grows they all blend together. I have enough trouble figuring out what I'm doing. Carry on.😉

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Ah, soil, promax, etc. A hybrid-er, eh?

I don't know why I just assume hydro nutes = hydro grow. I see a lot of people doing it but I read so many grows they all blend together. I have enough trouble figuring out what I'm doing. Carry on.😉
No hydro for me plumber! I had my hydro days up until 1995, but no schlepping water now I'm too old for that now, but the Pro mix might become a thing? I treated it like the rest of the pots because I basically forgot about it and everything got watered the same PPM and pH and it did fine. Unfortunately the Romberry in the promix was one of the plants that I culled for space a few days ago :/

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

No hydro for me plumber! I had my hydro days up until 1995, but no schlepping water now I'm too old for that now, but the Pro mix might become a thing? I treated it like the rest of the pots because I basically forgot about it and everything got watered the same PPM and pH and it did fine. Unfortunately the Romberry in the promix was one of the plants that I culled for space a few days ago :/
I've never done it before, dirt farmer all my life. I'm thinking instead of digging and conditioning holes, not to mention adding chicken wire for the gophers, rotating crops, what if I dug up the plots and buried 3-5 gallon buckets? No more weeding and little future digging other than when it needs to be replaced. And what if I ran air to each bucket, out in the garden? Seriously thinking about it. I'm pretty worn out on soil growing and the cost of water is almost as much as gas these days.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've never done it before, dirt farmer all my life. I'm thinking instead of digging and conditioning holes, not to mention adding chicken wire for the gophers, rotating crops, what if I dug up the plots and buried 3-5 gallon buckets? No more weeding and little future digging other than when it needs to be replaced. And what if I ran air to each bucket, out in the garden? Seriously thinking about it. I'm pretty worn out on soil growing and the cost of water is almost as much as gas these days.
The Coco grow your doing now is considered hydro, right? Also I don't know how burying a bucket would work but I've seen people do it with chicken wire

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

The Coco grow your doing now is considered hydro, right? Also I don't know how burying a bucket would work but I've seen people do it with chicken wire
Si. Coco is just an inert medium like perlite or cermic pebbles and fertilizer needs to be added. Whole different animal and I'm finding the growth rate to be way better than soil.

With electricity ran to the greenhouse all I need is a good air blower.

I use to raise tropical fish once upon a time and ran air to some 40 aquariums. I easily have room for about 30 buckets. I'd have to change water no more than twice a month, possibly only once or less. I'd probably use rock wool and cermic pebbles in the baskets.

I saw someone here running a trashcan with I think a melon. Roots 3' long. Been reading all I can find about dwc. Can't be any harder than coco which imo is way easier than soil.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Si. Coco is just an inert medium like perlite or cermic pebbles and fertilizer needs to be added. Whole different animal and I'm finding the growth rate to be way better than soil.

I use to raise tropical fish once upon a time and ran air to some 40 aquariums. I easily have room for about 30 buckets. I'd have to change water no more than twice a month, possibly only once or less. I'd probably use rock wool and cermic pebbles in the baskets.

I saw someone here running a trashcan with I think a melon. Roots 3' long. Been reading all I can find about dwc. Can't be any harder than coco which imo is way easier than soil.
Sounds like a plan! myself I like flood and drain tables with lecca, but these days I'd rather watch cool Hydro grows then attempt one! 🤣 👍 I'm still getting my soil grow dialed in LOL

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Honestly man going from dirt to coco I would stick to that. A lot of RDWC guys from back in the day eventually just trashed their systems and went to big DTW coco pot tree's. Hit the same numbers without all the issues of losing crops and plants going south in the middle of a grow. Not to mention cutting down on equipment. Almost all of them I knew that were doing it big arent in those systems anymore. They are all rockwool, coco, or dirt beds now.

Soil vs hydro nutes is usually ratio's and calcium. Running coco you want to be more towards the hydro nute ratio's. You need to supp everything. The traces, calcium ect are all tailored for that to prevent lockout along with cheltates to keep micro's available at the low PH you run in these mediums. The nutes and watering take a little to get used to. With Coco coming from soil it's hard to water a pot when it's already wet since that goes against everything you have been doing. Once you get all that figured out it's smooth sailing.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Oh you mean you want to put buckets in the ground and run Hydro that way?

Wow! I've never seen anyone do that!? how would you change water? (pump it I guess?)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Pacific Ocean, Long Beach Washington
Razor clamming this morning low tide 1.5 feet:)View attachment 899825View attachment 899826
View attachment 899827
Wow that's nice! I remember those clams from Pismo, that's the only time I ever drove on the beach. We can't drive on the beach around here anymore! :/

Actually I think the Pismo clams were a little lighter in color and longer and thinner if I remember the 80s at all (which I barely do) those look fat and sweet & now I'm hungry, let me get the butter I'll be right back to help you with those! LOL 😁 🥣🍺

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

2 parts ffof
1 part worm castings
1 part compost
1part Pro mix
1 part perlite
3 tbs. dolomite

View attachment 892545

It may look wet from the picture but it's dry as a bone and fluffy! it's a beautiful consistency. I'm not trying to make a super soil I don't have an issue feeding it nutes but I doubt I be feeding this mix for a while?

..but we'll know as soon as the slurry results are ready in about 10 more minutes?

Edit: slurry= ppm435, pH6.7

*A note on the Remo chemo cross above, that seedling struggled in ffof, must have been 3 years ago or more when I started running the remos I wasn't mixing the ffof well, pretty much just scooping it out of the bag and using it as is.

I saved it but since then it will tolerate almost nko nutes and I mean none (I can't begin to tell you how little I feed that plant!?) and she's had the curled tips since that happened (both my keepers are the sativa pheno)

& even the remo cross in the picture in above post has the curly leaf trait to a lesser degree. Remo#2 is my favorite of the two keepers, in fact I may not even run #1 again? Remo is a great smoke, I'm hoping her cross works out well too!?
So here's a thought on the new mix ^ ..it's so unbelievably Airy, but it never seems to dry out which I'm still trying to figure out? LOL the only thing I'm going to changes is the 3 tbs. Dolomite, I'm going to add just 1tbs. instead of 3 because my runoff pH is 6.5 for the most part but I just found one plant that was 6.8 so I'm going to keep an eye on her and I'm going to reduce it in general and maybe add a second tbs. when the plant gets put into bloom going forward

When all this dirt and fixings are gone I'll probably go to straight Pro mix

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So here's a thought on the new mix ^ ..it's so unbelievably Airy, but it never seems to dry out which I'm still trying to figure out? LOL the only thing I'm going to changes is the 3 tbs. Dolomite, I'm going to add just 1tbs. instead of 3 because my runoff pH is 6.5 for the most part but I just found one plant that was 6.8 so I'm going to keep an eye on her and I'm going to reduce it in general and maybe add a second tbs. when the plant gets put into bloom going forward

When all this dirt and fixings are gone I'll probably go to straight Pro mix

Lol. No you wont!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Oh you mean you want to put buckets in the ground and run Hydro that way?

Wow! I've never seen anyone do that!? how would you change water? (pump it I guess?)
Yeah, why not? The ground would insulate the bucket. Harbor Freight sells a cheap hand pump, I have a couple of small water pumps or there's a faucet pump (used to fill/drain water beds) I could hook to a hose bib.

In the so cal heat I have to water daily so just the savings on water would make it worth while and I could run to the mountains for a week without worries.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I'm going to run a few buckets with spinach this winter and see how it goes.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yeah, why not? The ground would insulate the bucket. Harbor Freight sells a cheap hand pump, I have a couple of small water pumps or there's a faucet pump (used to fill/drain water beds) I could hook to a hose bib.

In the so cal heat I have to water daily so just the savings on water would make it worth while and I could run to the mountains for a week without worries.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I'm going to run a few buckets with spinach this winter and see how it goes.
man all due respect to the hydro growers it's about the last thing I'd want to get involved with, and Outdoors would be the last place I'd want to do it, but you should give it a try I think you'll get over it quick LOL ..Although you're a plumber & have a little different understanding of water, if anybody can, you could probably pull this off !? I know I'll be following along!

Top Bottom