the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

How long did she grow?
So I checked and she was up potted from a 6 inch square to the 3-gallon final pot on 7/26, she could have been around for months prior to that tho, as I don't record individual plants when they're in the 6-inch squares I only note how many of which strain

Mazzy Star still looks like she's alive (top) beautiful plant very strong strain, I think she's a winner! You wouldn't believe how many other crosses I had to throw away they were weird, tall & lanky things, not just Mazzy but a handful of other crosses I made with the Gunslinger.

This was my only keeper damn glad I did too because I was ready to scrap the project at one point and start over with some different pollen but I knew there had to be something good in that gunslinger if I poked around a bit
20191117 054357

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Almost forgot why I came here LOL that happens once in a while when I have morning coffee with a plant..

Tried again to take the Remos and the remo cross, told myself I would. But I can't, they're next to dead anyway but the freaking trichomes are everywhere! I got mostly cloudy and I got a surprising amount of Amber too, but I feel as if I have slightly more clear than I like at this point as well

As much as I want to for the room I don't have to take them right now and I know that every day longer I can give them is going to help

Next watering I'll figure out a way to stick them all in one corner tie em together or something there's no leaves to speak of left on them anyway they've been dropping them for a month :/

This is I think my second time running these Remos in the years I've had it. This is damn good smoke which is why I keep it. It's also the fussiest plant I'll likely ever deal with! I suspect that might have something to do with its lack of popularity?

Two days after I put them in bloom I was standing there saying what the hell have I done & and how badly will I screw them up if I put them back into veg right now?

finicky Remo chemos in a new soil mix with new newts at a different PPM OMG! The perfect storm right LOL

I knew right away it wasn't going to be easy but when the dolomite issue with the Pro mix in the new soil mix kicked in and they hit 7.2 that was pretty much it ~fini

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
So now that the cuts have rooted three 3 1/2' mothers are not going to see the morning :/ I always hate culling plants, one of them is that big Mazzy Star a few posts up, and there's a Romberry and Gorilla Glue also..
View attachment 911053

The good news dejour is that the second 75 watt reptile heater has arrived & added the heat I wanted!
In a 64° room I now have 68° in the bloom during dark!

Burning two 75 watts reptile heaters is better than the 700 Watts I used to burn with the oil-filled radiator!
View attachment 911055

Here's a tip: Throw a thick blanket or comforter over the top of your tent to help retain heat, also doesn't hurt to get the plants up off the ground on thick styrofoam

So that's all I got; I'm going to start selecting the seeds I want to crack tomorrow, I've got a few ideas but the only certainty is going to be half the remaining GPS Gunslingers, wish me luck with those!? 🤞 2 years ago when I bought them they had sucky germination, I can't imagine they've improved with time :/
I thought they liked cooler temps during bloom? I've set my room for 64f lights off, now from what I'm reading you want your room 68f? Here we go again wtf I thought I had that right at 64f. Can you explain why you want it warmer? I can set my home thermostat to what ever I need, if I need it warmer I can do that with the turn of a knob.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I thought they liked cooler temps during bloom? I've set my room for 64f lights off, now from what I'm reading you want your room 68f? Here we go again wtf I thought I had that right at 64f. Can you explain why you want it warmer? I can set my home thermostat to what ever I need, if I need it warmer I can do that with the turn of a knob.
I like the ability to manipulate my temperatures to bring out colors in the last few weeks of Bloom on some strains, I may even drop the whole tent lower than 64°, but for a shorter period

Three or four days at 58° turned this GPS Gunslinger all kinds of colors
20190307 201637

20191114 164909

However for best growth I like the temperatures about 68° for a low (dark period) most of the time, below this temperature I run into issues with my VPD, and the plants basically just sit there

Right now I'm at 68° and 74° and I'm happy at these numbers

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I like the ability to manipulate my temperatures to bring out colors in the last few weeks of Bloom on some strains, I may even drop the whole tent lower than 64°, but for a shorter period
View attachment 911222

However for best growth I like the temperatures about 68° for a low (dark period) most of the time, below this temperature I run into issues with my VPD, and the plants basically just sit there

Right now I'm at 68° and 74° and I'm happy at these numbers
Love the colours ,VPD must be a tent issue I'm unaware of with my open room layout. MY humidity in the AM is low 40% but goes to 50% lights on at 78f. So you increase temps to increase your humidity lights off?
I was going to let the little woman bitch at me for a couple of weeks at the end of the cycle to drop lights off temps into the 50's. My lights are on 8am-8pm so dropping it down to 58f at night near the end of December is sure to get the bitch lights glowing. lol

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Love the colours ,VPD must be a tent issue I'm unaware of with my open room layout. MY humidity in the AM is low 40% but goes to 50% lights on at 78f. So you increase temps to increase your humidity lights off?

VPD is over my head if I'm honest but I do understand where my numbers need to be and how to get into that zone, so I guess I do understand it? I just don't want to lol

I don't dwell anymore than I have to on the technical aspects, & without queuing up the music from The Twilight Zone I try to reach a more spiritual connection with the plant then a technical connection if that makes sense?

Edit: Here's some more VPD info but it doesn't have to be this difficult, my rule of thumb is if you keep your humidity around 50% (+/-5%) and your temperature above 68°f you'll be fine

Bbm 04 17 2017 resized

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
VPD is over my head if I'm honest but I do understand where my numbers need to be and how to get into that zone, so I guess I do understand it? I just don't want to lol

I don't dwell anymore than I have to on the technical aspects, & without queuing up the music from The Twilight Zone I try to reach a more spiritual connection with the plant then a technical connection if that makes sense?

Edit: Here's some more VPD info but it doesn't have to be this difficult, my rule of thumb is if you keep your humidity around 50% (+/-5%) and your temperature above 68°f you'll be fine

View attachment 911225
I'm just trying to fine tune it and listen to the guys like yourself with more indoor growing expertise than myself. I've grown for years but just fumbled along not know what was right or wrong. Now with all this help available it can get overwhelming sometimes. Everything was going just fine I thought I had it then you introduce VPD to me arrrrgggg now I've something else to concern myself with. lol I was good at seed -dirt- water-sunlight - grow-cut-dry-smoke.

Moshmen

Moshmen

View attachment 911225
Love the spiritual connection!
I’ll prolly steal it! Lol
After a couple of average “by the internet grows”I’ve taken the it’s more of a ART form than science! But always keepin Mother Nature in the back of my mind.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Love the spiritual connection!
I’ll prolly steal it! Lol
After a couple of average “by the internet grows”I’ve taken the it’s more of a ART form than science! But always keepin Mother Nature in the back of my mind.
Well certainly environment has to be taking into account: By spiritual connection I kind of mean watching and some would say listening to what the plant wants; and that just comes from doing it for a while. New growers really do have to grasp the fundamentals to have the kind of success they would want

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm just trying to fine tune it and listen to the guys like yourself with more indoor growing expertise than myself. I've grown for years but just fumbled along not know what was right or wrong. Now with all this help available it can get overwhelming sometimes. Everything was going just fine I thought I had it then you introduce VPD to me arrrrgggg now I've something else to concern myself with. lol I was good at seed -dirt- water-sunlight - grow-cut-dry-smoke.
Actually I'm more of a put a seed in dirt kind of guy too, don't overthink it. I just shoot for middle of the road conditions, everything doesn't have to be exact all the time these plants aren't as fussy as they are sometimes made out to be (just stay away from the remo chemo, that strains IS fussy)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So far i find all the most potent stuff to be finicky.

Breeders used to put difficulty level in growing of strains.

Northern lights -easy

Sour diesel-difficult

For example

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was going to let the little woman bitch at me for a couple of weeks at the end of the cycle to drop lights off temps into the 50's. My lights are on 8am-8pm so dropping it down to 58f at night near the end of December is sure to get the bitch lights glowing. lol
The reason you see this is because at night the plants are not transpiring much if at all. The humidity spike you see at lights out will be determined by the temperature change. If the temps are staying similar you will not see a rise in humidity but a drop in humidity over time because of transpiration rates.

I did a small write up on VPD here if ya want to take a look.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The reason you see this is because at night the plants are not transpiring much if at all. The humidity spike you see at lights out will be determined by the temperature change. If the temps are staying similar you will not see a rise in humidity but a drop in humidity over time because of transpiration rates.

I did a small write up on VPD here if ya want to take a look.

Effectively stay 50% RH throughout its life a bit higher in veg with temps 75-80f lights on. lights off 10% drop in temp and humidity is good. Last 3-4 weeks lower RH to 35% if possible and drop temps to low 60's lights off.

Lights on Temps? should I also lower temps when lights are on a few degrees in the last weeks as well? I didn't get that part of it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So far i find all the most potent stuff to be finicky.

Breeders used to put difficulty level in growing of strains.

Northern lights -easy

Sour diesel-difficult

For example

I've always found this to be true also. Some strains do well no matter how many variables are off, and some strains go to shit if you look at them wrong. The latter usually tend to be more potent. My Platinum cookies and violator kush are 2 great examples of this. PC is very easy to grow and always produces, but the smoke is just an A, it's really good but doesnt blow your socks off. VK on the other hand is very fussy to grow and is one of the strongest tasting and most potent plants I've grown in a long time.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Effectively stay 50% RH throughout its life a bit higher in veg with temps 75-80f lights on. lights off 10% drop in temp and humidity is good. Last 3-4 weeks lower RH to 35% if possible and drop temps to low 60's lights off.

Lights on Temps? should I also lower temps when lights are on a few degrees in the last weeks as well? I didn't get that part of it.
That's opinion I lower my temps for the last couple weeks and keep humidity under 50% usually 40-45%. Usually about 72f day and 67f night but I run led so have to account that my leaf temps stay cooler during the day than with say hps. The cooler temps help bring out the color and lower the heat related damage to the trichs (I can't say for certain about the last part but that's the theory behind it). I will lower my diff also at different times depending on how the structure is. But in late flower I find no difference in bud density. I normally run a diff of 10f but during stretch I cut it to 0 that cuts down on the internode length. My last cluster duck where I vegged to long I ran a -2f dif from the time I noticed I wasn't in flower until almost the end to keep growth compact as possible cause I was seriously fucked for room.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've always found this to be true also. Some strains do well no matter how many variables are off, and some strains go to shit if you look at them wrong. The latter usually tend to be more potent. My Platinum cookies and violator kush are 2 great examples of this. PC is very easy to grow and always produces, but the smoke is just an A, it's really good but doesnt blow your socks off. VK on the other hand is very fussy to grow and is one of the strongest tasting and most potent plants I've grown in a long time.

With you talking about VK i am requesting more info. I need to try this violator kush.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That's opinion I lower my temps for the last couple weeks and keep humidity under 50% usually 40-45%. Usually about 72f day and 67f night but I run led so have to account that my leaf temps stay cooler during the day than with say hps. The cooler temps help bring out the color and lower the heat related damage to the trichs (I can't say for certain about the last part but that's the theory behind it). I will lower my diff also at different times depending on how the structure is. But in late flower I find no difference in bud density. I normally run a diff of 10f but during stretch I cut it to 0 that cuts down on the internode length. My last cluster duck where I vegged to long I ran a -2f dif from the time I noticed I wasn't in flower until almost the end to keep growth compact as possible cause I was seriously fucked for room.
Great, thanks I needed that! lol Its good to talk it out, I'm pretty slow picking things up sometimes but if I get a lot of info from different sources some of it eventually sinks in. Pretty soon I'll be as smart as a 6th grader. lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Great, thanks I needed that! lol Its good to talk it out, I'm pretty slow picking things up sometimes but if I get a lot of info from different sources some of it eventually sinks in. Pretty soon I'll be as smart as a 6th grader. lol
Lol

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
With you talking about VK i am requesting more info. I need to try this violator kush.

The info I got was it was a pheno selected from a sift of Barneys farm seeds. It's a cross of 2 IBL's, Hindu Kush and Malana. Apparently the Malana leaning phenos are the ones to look for, very branchy and super resinous. Easy to see why its renound as a hash plant for making malana cream. The hash I made from it is extremely gooey. I'll get a pic of it shortly, It's so sticky and soft even after drying for 2 weeks... really nice hash.

Top Bottom