the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This morning I was introduced to VPD attached to a scary name VAPOUR PRESSURE DEFICIT ( Canadian version) awe fk it was going to be a casual Sunday, walk the cat, play with my plants you know an easy day but oh no VPD has to walk into my brain and it was going to stay there until I figure it out . Now I've spent a good portion of the day reading the posts & watching the videos about VPD and thought I was catching on then wham fkin Algebra. I had it covered pretty good back in trade school but that was a long time ago and I'm not going through that again. Now after all my learning today I'll still just have to guess what my actual VPD is gees thanks guys there goes my Sunday. lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This morning I was introduced to VPD attached to a scary name VAPOUR PRESSURE DEFICIT ( Canadian version) awe fk it was going to be a casual Sunday, walk the cat, play with my plants you know an easy day but oh no VPD has to walk into my brain and it was going to stay there until I figure it out . Now I've spent a good portion of the day reading the posts & watching the videos about VPD and thought I was catching on then wham fkin Algebra. I had it covered pretty good back in trade school but that was a long time ago and I'm not going through that again. Now after all my learning today I'll still just have to guess what my actual VPD is gees thanks guys there goes my Sunday. lol
If you want I can email ya my spreadsheet. All the calculations and formula is done and named... Just plop in you number and it tells ya.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

This is my dream tent..
20191118 072903

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that right now :/ as there were others to put back in, this is just my dream; all the same height, and nobody crowding each other! I'm working on it, believe me

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

A word about VPD;

Since I added the second 75 watt reptile heater (total 150w) and got my temperature up to 68° I'm watering every 3 days now, like normal (or even every 2.5 days). Prior to this I was watering about weekly. This is how crucial VPD is!

After reading up on this for a few days this is hands-down the best and most understandable explanation I've seen yet, hope this becomes a sticky!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

UPDATE:

the Indian bubble gum plants tested at 7.2 runoff today! The new mix, excluding the perlite is 1/3 promix. Wish I'd listened to @Jimster who recommended not adding the dolomite to the new mix! :/

Everything was flushed and all the numbers recorded today 😓 ; The plants with the high pH got an additional watering of 6.2 which they'll get for the rest of their run, they'll be done in under 2 weeks. Because they were looking good I kind of let them go but now I'm bringing pH down

• The runoff numbers for the new mix (which is the same as the old mix but without the dolomite) was 6.2 - 6.4 and all were under 500 PPM ~Primo! 🥳

A thought on runoff:

You may see a lot of people who claim it's useless or even counterproductive but I disagree. I believe it's a great way to know what's going on in general in your medium. Granted it's not as accurate as a slurry test, but it tells me when I need to do a slurry test and that alone is value in my opinion

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I just have to post this again!

20191118 072903

..in >2 weeks this will be my real world! 🥳

I almost can't believe it?! Having my Bloom tent laid out like a 5 on a dice has been my dream set-up for a long time

It was so difficult and took so long to get to this point (& no milk crates to move around❤) I'm going to maintain this plant count & size going forward.

That's an hso black dog in the middle of 4 Indian bubblegums

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
UPDATE:

the Indian bubble gum plants tested at 7.2 runoff today! The new mix, excluding the perlite is 1/3 promix. Wish I'd listened to @Jimster who recommended not adding the dolomite to the new mix! :/

Everything was flushed and all the numbers recorded today 😓 ; The plants with the high pH got an additional watering of 6.2 which they'll get for the rest of their run, they'll be done in under 2 weeks. Because they were looking good I kind of let them go but now I'm bringing pH down

• The runoff numbers for the new mix (which is the same as the old mix but without the dolomite) was 6.2 - 6.4 and all were under 500 PPM ~Primo! 🥳

A thought on runoff:

You may see a lot of people who claim it's useless or even counterproductive but I disagree. I believe it's a great way to know what's going on in general in your medium. Granted it's not as accurate as a slurry test, but it tells me when I need to do a slurry test and that alone is value in my opinion
Maybe not as accurate to the exact point of ph but it's dam close and in the vicinity. It's not like you'll read 6.5 with a runoff test and a slurry test will give you 5.5. It will be in range closer to 6.5 than 5.5. When I now do a runoff test I suck all the water out of the pan after watering then I take the test from the last water oozing out of the plant, this way I'm, assured of water that has leached through the soil and didn't just run down the sides of the pot or found a dry channel to go straight through and give a false reading.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I just have to post this again!

View attachment 911853

..in >2 weeks this will be my real world! 🥳

I almost can't believe it?! Having my Bloom tent laid out like a 5 on a dice has been my dream set-up for a long time

It was so difficult and took so long to get to this point (& no milk crates to move around❤) I'm going to maintain this plant count & size going forward.

That's an hso black dog in the middle of 4 Indian bubblegums
Nice and clean with space to grow. I see some guys with the room packed with no room to move, a little extra space makes things much easier to maneuver around when watering or just maintaining your plants. Light gets through to the lower parts of the plants as well.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Maybe not as accurate to the exact point of ph but it's dam close and in the vicinity. It's not like you'll read 6.5 with a runoff test and a slurry test will give you 5.5. It will be in range closer to 6.5 than 5.5. When I now do a runoff test I suck all the water out of the pan after watering then I take the test from the last water oozing out of the plant, this way I'm, assured of water that has leached through the soil and didn't just run down the sides of the pot or found a dry channel to go straight through and give a false reading.
Take it from the first water to come out next time. I forget why but I think it's because That's more of a better picture of the soil conditions than the last of it to come out which could be the water you've just poured in

I may not have explained that well but I've only had half a cup of coffee so far, but yeah it's a thing

What I do is pour 40 oz of plain 6.5 in my 3-gallon pot and wait a minute or two

Then I pour another 40 oz 6.5 through and almost immediately I'll start getting run off and when most of that is in the tray I'll swap out trays allowing the plant to continue to drain in the new tray, and will test what's in the first tray

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Nice and clean with space to grow. I see some guys with the room packed with no room to move, a little extra space makes things much easier to maneuver around when watering or just maintaining your plants. Light gets through to the lower parts of the plants as well.
Oh man you have no idea I was ready to scrap the extra plants yesterday and just leave it like that lol! (I thought about it believe me) it's taken me about a year-and-a-half to get to this point 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳 🥳

I can spread them with sticks I can maximize them I can get great airflow I could get light to almost the whole plant; it's a dream for me now, almost coming true ..very soon!

I had to change everything including when and how I take clones what I keep what I bring up its not just as easy as it may seem

Even now about to start seeds I'm planning it out already so yeah it's going to be better but it's also going to take more work and especially more planning, two things I would rather have less of than more if I'm honest

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Take it from the first water to come out next time. I forget why but I think it's because That's more of a better picture of the soil conditions than the last of it to come out which could be the water you've just poured in

I may not have explained that well but I've only had half a cup of coffee so far, but yeah it's a thing

What I do is pour 40 oz of plain 6.5 in my 3-gallon pot and wait a minute or two

Then I pour another 40 oz 6.5 through and almost immediately I'll start getting run off and when most of that is in the tray I'll swap out trays allowing the plant to continue to drain in the new tray, and will test what's in the first tray
I find when my plants are in need of water that the soil pulls away from the pot and water immediately flows through to the tray. After a good watering and the soil is all wet the water that comes through has been in the soil and not just run through water. The first ph test I'll take is very close to the ph of the water I added because of run through but the last test with no run through water is more accurate for me and closer to the slurry test results I've taken.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

This is about the happiest I've been since I harvested my first plant in the spring of 16! 🥳 💕 🥳 💕

@MIMedGrower and his short efficient plants were my inspiration, even before I found out his plants were kept short because he had a low-ceiling LOL! nonetheless this is going to be great for me! Don't know exactly how much but I know this will add substantially to my per plant yield too!

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I find when my plants are in need of water that the soil pulls away from the pot and water immediately flows through to the tray. After a good watering and the soil is all wet the water that comes through has been in the soil and not just run through water. The first ph test I'll take is very close to the ph of the water I added because of run through but the last test with no run through water is more accurate for me and closer to the slurry test results I've taken.
Well I mean you can continue doing it that way of course, but if you look into it or maybe somebody else can post in here about this, but I've been taught you need to take the first runoff and for the reason I (hope I mentioned fairly clearly?) above

Edit: I won't link to that site because it's a hate site but you can find it and likely other sites on this topic the same way I did if you want to read more on this subject

20191119 080408

The first water & the last runoff aren't going to be the same. I've taken first and last and they can be and usually are substantially different

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Well I mean you can continue doing it that way of course, but if you look into it or maybe somebody else can post in here about this, but I've been taught you need to take the first runoff and for the reason I (hope I mentioned fairly clearly?) above

Edit: I won't link to that site because it's a hate site but you can find it and likely other sites on this topic the same way I did if you want to read more on this subject

View attachment 911855

The first water & the last runoff aren't going to be the same. I've taken first and last and they can be and usually are substantially different
The key here is water slowly!!! If your soil is dry the water runs straight thru water will not take on the ph of the soil . Run off must be cked after the media is completely moist!
In the end this is just another tool that everyone uses a little different !!
My opinion is it’s fine to check the runoff but if ya really want to ck the soil the best you can ? TAKE-THE TIME TO DOTHE SLURRY!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Just a thought on that whole water channeling thing, probably has some truth to it but I personally don't worry about it

but if you'd like to minimize it at least twice during bloom I take a shish kebab skewer and I poke it about an inch to 2 inch deep about a hundred times all over the top of the soil, & all angled in towards the main stem of the plant;

and that seems to redirect the water, I can't say this is science but this is what I do and I do believe it works

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The key here is water slowly!!! If your soil is dry the water runs straight thru water will not take on the ph of the soil . Run off must be cked after the media is completely moist!
In the end this is just another tool that everyone uses a little different !!
My opinion is it’s fine to check the runoff but if ya really want to ck the soil the best you can ? TAKE-THE TIME TO DOTHE SLURRY!
Exactly! ^ Above I recommended pouring in 40 oz and leave it for a minute or two then pour in another 40 and that's when I draw the water out when it starts to flow

Agree a slurrys the best, but I think I've done about three since I've been back growing!?

Top Bottom