the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I just ordered the Monterey and I'll give that schedule you recommended in the other thread a try;

I caught them quick & there aren't many, hit the veg plants heavy with neem today going to wait till tomorrow night when I get the Monterey to hit the bloom plants,

All plants are small and the ones that are about to be harvested aren't going to get sprayed with anything at all; they'll be harvested within 3-5 days
-Thanks again for the input!

No prob. Since you mentioned the possibility of burning sulphur at some point in your other thread I should point out, since you are using neem oil you will have to wait 3 weeks before applying sulphur. Sulphur vapour and neem oil do not get along and applied within 3 weeks of each other will kill your plants. I stopped using Neem altogether when I started burning sulphur.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

No prob. Since you mentioned the possibility of burning sulphur at some point in your other thread I should point out, since you are using neem oil you will have to wait 3 weeks before applying sulphur. Sulphur vapour and neem oil do not get along and applied within 3 weeks of each other will kill your plants. I stopped using Neem altogether when I started burning sulphur.
Thanks for pointing that out; I was going to hold off on the burning for now anyway, I had used that with a septoria issue couple years ago, I've read that it works best on mites and not-so-great on thrips anyway?

It was bound to happen at some point with all the gardening I do outdoors, but I've never dealt with thrips before, only two spotted mites ..and that didn't go well :/ but this ain't the Borg thank God!

Edit: not a fan of neem oil either but that's all I had on hand and I wanted to hit them quick, kind of like a knee-jerk reaction when I saw the damn things I guess

• I'm guessing I should wait three days before I apply the Monterey, now that I've sprayed the veg plants with neem, right?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Thanks for pointing that out; I was going to hold off on the burning for now anyway, I had used that with a septoria issue couple years ago, I've read that it works best on mites and not-so-great on thrips anyway?

It was bound to happen at some point with all the gardening I do outdoors, but I've never dealt with thrips before, only two spotted mites ..and that didn't go well :/ but this ain't the Borg thank God!

Edit: not a fan of neem oil either but that's all I had on hand and I wanted to hit them quick, kind of like a knee-jerk reaction when I saw the damn things I guess

• I'm guessing I should wait three days before I apply the Monterey, now that I've sprayed the veg plants with neem, right?
Neem should knock em down but like Dirtbag said no mixing with sulfur. 😉

I pulled a little snail off one of my girls a couple days ago and a moth larva off another yesterday. It never seems to end although outside there seem to be enough preditors to control most pests. Can't imagine indoors.😖

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The good news is I see absolutely no damage yet on the plants that I just recently put in bloom which of course will get treated tonight when the spinosad gets here regardless

but this is something that just started, this perplexes me as not only haven't I had any garden plants in about a month I haven't even been out in my backyard for about that long??

So first trip with the thrip; I understand they're a little easier to handle than the Borg so we'll see.. when I saw the spots I broke into a cold sweat thinking it was mites! I've dealt with two spotted mites twice, I'm 0-2 vs. mites :/ it was almost a relief finding that fat pink thrip lava worming its way down the leaf ..almost

Moshmen

Moshmen

The good news is I see absolutely no damage yet on the plants that I just recently put in bloom which of course will get treated tonight when the spinosad gets here regardless

but this is something that just started, this perplexes me as not only haven't I had any garden plants in about a month I haven't even been out in my backyard for about that long??

So first trip with the thrip; I understand they're a little easier to handle than the Borg so we'll see.. when I saw the spots I broke into a cold sweat thinking it was mites! I've dealt with two spotted mites twice, I'm 0-2 vs. mites :/ it was almost a relief finding that fat pink thrip lava worming its way down the leaf ..almost
Mites suck! Cut and chuck! Glad to hear you only got worms ! Lmao

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Mites suck! Cut and chuck! Glad to hear you only got worms ! Lmao
Yeah but it's different now; pre-internet I was making these homemade concoctions that didn't really work, now I can get any commercial product delivered next day so there's a much better chance!

🕷 🔫

That's why when I see people say use neem oil to kill mites, I'm pretty sure they never had mites

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Nicotine is for kids! ( not really) real men smoke nonfilters ! Breakfast of champions right here
Need some jelly on that Sammy!

This morning I started the day off with the spring missing on my percolator so I had no way to make coffee LOL 20 minutes later I found it in the trash must have stuck to the basket when I threw the grounds out yesterday, so my day started off sifting through shit without coffee :/ , and it's still a better day than yesterday when I found the damn bugs believe me

Still no trace of anything on these plants but I'm sure they're there somewhere

20191124 081146

Pump up sprayer and Monterey coming today, hard to see but these smallish plants are barely starting to bloom so they'll be fairly easy to treat. 10 tonight I'll be a busy little monkey :/

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Any recommendations when to spray?

Just before lights out, or just as lights come on, I mean? I hate to put plants to bed wet
Always after lights out. Outside i can get away with shaded or dusk, otherwise after dark.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Always after lights out. Outside i can get away with shaded or dusk, otherwise after dark.
Yeah I don't like putting things away wet cuz I've dealt with fungal issues, I'll have to figure something out I have nine inch high velocity fans on the floor but still that's too much moisture to put to bed wet

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I gave this Remo × Gunslinger cross another try, taste like Berry don't know where that came from?

20191124 115308

but I'm still not sure it has any High to it or not? I meant to light it up first thing but I forgot and I smoke something else a few hours ago so I don't think its fair to judge now, but I don't really think this is going to be a keeper :/ that's a shame cuz I've got a clone or two of it but I won't run it again if I don't get something on the next sample

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I barely had a spray bottle that worked! I had to buy this to treat the thrips. I don't believe in spraying healthy plants don't feel there's much if any benefit compared to the potential negatives.

20191124 192942

Not sure of best time to spray, so I'm going to raise the light & turn it down low an hour before lights-out tomorrow, take everything out to spray it down, and give it some time to dry because I'm not going to bring on mold/fungal issues because of these bugs :/

Top Bottom