the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Ocean forest is full of bugs, I no from experience.
#1 flying gnat eggs were the worst once they hatched I new I had a problem.
#2 filled 12-25 gallon pots all with OF
Week 6 flower I’m watering flooding the grow I look on the floor and IT IS MOOVING! Massive root aphid infestation thousands and thousands I freak and run fo the water hose. Worst and last time I touched off.
That was 6 or 7 years ago switched to happy frog with no problems since.
That's all well and good but speedo color preferences are what's really important!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Organic bro science aside. Ocean forest contains enough nutrients to water only through 5-6 weeks. More with transplants. That was why I used it.

Honestly it is a compressed muddy hell of a soil without a bunch of perlite added.

Any properly buffered soil mix can be ammended to work well for weed. Drainage is the most important factor in my opinion. Weed likes fast draining soil to thrive.
The cheap stuff I use is the same, I don't feed for the first 4-5 weeks, just water, then 3/3/3 mil per gallon Gh I only go 5/5/5 mil/gal max up until flip every 7-8 days depending on drying. I was buying promix but I see no benefit in paying more for name brand dirt. I like this cheap stuff and I've had no issues I know of caused by it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ocean forest is full of bugs, I no from experience.
#1 flying gnat eggs were the worst once they hatched I new I had a problem.
#2 filled 12-25 gallon pots all with OF
Week 6 flower I’m watering flooding the grow I look on the floor and IT IS MOOVING! Massive root aphid infestation thousands and thousands I freak and run fo the water hose. Worst and last time I touched off.
That was 6 or 7 years ago switched to happy frog with no problems since.

Well that makes no sense. The bad bugs are acquired in storage. They are the fault of the distributer or the store in most cases.

I meant microscopic beneficial bugs. Its not omri bit it is organic live soil.

Happy frog is their budget mix.

But with enough perlite happy fro worked for me too. But i got more plant faster in ocean forest from seed or clone every time. I tested either or and 50/50 mix.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

The cheap stuff I use is the same, I don't feed for the first 4-5 weeks, just water, then 3/3/3 mil per gallon Gh I only go 5/5/5 mil/gal max up until flip every 7-8 days depending on drying. I was buying promix but I see no benefit in paying more for name brand dirt. I like this cheap stuff and I've had no issues I know of caused by it.
View attachment 940907

Most of the peat for all the brands is sourced from the same bogs in canada.

I have been more concerned about freshness and storage before i get it.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Well that makes no sense. The bad bugs are acquired in storage. They are the fault of the distributer or the store in most cases.

I meant microscopic beneficial bugs. Its not omri bit it is organic live soil.

Happy frog is their budget mix.

But with enough perlite happy fro worked for me too. But i got more plant faster in ocean forest from seed or clone every time. I tested either or and 50/50 mix.
No sense?
Came straight from the factory to my buddy’s grow shop. On a pallet wrapped in plastic and shrink wrapped from the factory.
How those bugs got in those triple wrapped bags in a commercial warehouse is a really tough sale. Typically a storage warehouse where they ship is completely made of concrete walls and floors.
Ahhh maybe your rite could of crawled up in there and infested the hole lot of them in the storage warehouse

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

No sense?
Came straight from the factory to my buddy’s grow shop. On a pallet wrapped in plastic and shrink wrapped from the factory.
How those bugs got in those triple wrapped bags in a commercial warehouse is a really tough sale. Typically a storage warehouse where they ship is completely made of concrete walls and floors.
Ahhh maybe your rite could of crawled up in there and infested the hole lot of them in the storage warehouse

Ok then. :-)

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I really didn't mean sterile like a Petri dish.
The HF and OF are the only ones I've had success with, even their coco soilless gave me soil gnat problems.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I really didn't mean sterile like a Petri dish.
The HF and OF are the only ones I've had success with, even their coco soilless gave me soil gnat problems.

I have never got gnats from a fox farm bag. I got them from some mothers earth groundswell (an equivalent soil) that i got a deal on from a closed grow store warehouse. They were stored cold and wet apparently. My mistake.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have never got gnats from a fox farm bag. I got them from some mothers earth groundswell (an equivalent soil) that i got a deal on from a closed grow store warehouse. They were stored cold and wet apparently. My mistake.
I get the soil gnats every now and then but I can't say it's brand specific, from my experience its just a way of life in these peat mediums. They don't really concern me too much, when I see them I sticky tape, fans over the top of the pots and I scrape the top inch of soil off the top. They seem to go away and I've had none now for a few months.

visajoe1

visajoe1

I think you're a little confused, you're looking for Houston, it's a little South of here
I'm just messing around, no worries. As a Giants fan, I dont care the Dodgers lost or how. However, I am a little less excited about baseball this year because of all this cheating drama.

We'll see what happens in Boston, but it sounds like little if anything

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Scored a free 30 pounder of Wiggle worm castings today, apparently last summer when I bought a bag of it I accidentally clicked the automatic monthly delivery button, and apparently it had just come back in stock from this particular company is how they explained it; anyway they said keep it at no charge so thank you Amazon

Screenshot 20200214 130933 Chrome

going to try along with the one part perlite, adding one part worm-casting to two parts of this Pro mix GP and see how I like that mix? I could be doing some up-potting with this new blend by Sunday

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm just messing around, no worries. As a Giants fan, I dont care the Dodgers lost or how. However, I am a little less excited about baseball this year because of all this cheating drama.

We'll see what happens in Boston, but it sounds like little if anything

View attachment 940941
Well that's obviously what we're hoping for here, it seems like something would have come out by now?! 🤞

My friend Bobbi Baseball from Houston said the other day that it's different in Boston, I asked her what she meant she said you'll get shot for doing something like that in Boston (because of the rabid sports fans here in titletown was her insinuation) ..& she did kind of have a point!? LOL by the way the Baseball fans in Houston are devastated by this!

Since early spring training last year I've been against Cora since it became clear he didn't have a clue how to coach a ball club and particularly how to handle a pitching staff but this was beyond anything anybody imagined; this is a devastating blow to a great Sport, I hope it can recover from it?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Scored a free 30 pounder of Wiggle worm castings today, apparently last summer when I bought a bag of it I accidentally clicked the automatic monthly delivery button, and apparently it had just come back in stock from this particular company is how they explained it; anyway they said keep it at no charge so thank you Amazon

View attachment 940945

going to try along with the one part perlite, adding one part worm-casting to two parts of this Pro mix GP and see how I like that mix? I could be doing some up-potting with this new blend by Sunday

I would only add like 15% max. That stuff turned my mix to mud. Just my experience.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Black d.o.g
20200215 062905

Indian Bubblegum
20200215 062915

At today's feeding my intention was to spread them out a bit but the black dog didn't need it yet and after poking a stick at the Indian bubblegum a couple times I gave up on that too lol, next watering is a flush so I'll do it then when I've pulled them both out

This is a semi-ignored gorilla glue × GPS Gunslinger (Starfighter×Stardawg) chuck that I have in veg, gonna get it some better light, trim it up take a cut and bloom it soon, see how it goes?! 🤞
20200214 115034

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I would only add like 15% max. That stuff turned my mix to mud. Just my experience.
I'll watch out for that! I used it before in a couple different mixes and if I'm honest my favorite way to use it is as a top dressing every week or ten days in bloom

Moshmen

Moshmen

No sense?
I know I’m late here but knats flew out of a brand new bag of promix, I read the stories, but thought how is that possible, it is seen it myself . I’ve got it opened and treating like my composted soil I’m not bring that inside yet for sure

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I know I’m late here but knats flew out of a brand new bag of promix, I read the stories, but thought how is that possible, it is seen it myself . I’ve got it opened and treating like my composted soil I’m not bring that inside yet for sure

I've got gnats several times from fresh, indoor stored 107L bales of promix. They lay eggs in the giant peat mountains at the production facility where it's packaged. But it's rare, unless you are using 20+ bales at a time, then it's nearly unavoidable. In my larger grows we would get them every cycle, even with really toxic fumigations between runs. A week after planting new cuts, you'd start seeing black specks on sticky cards..

Moshmen

Moshmen

I've got gnats several times from fresh, indoor stored 107L bales of promix. They lay eggs in the giant peat mountains at the production facility where it's packaged. But it's rare, unless you are using 20+ bales at a time, then it's nearly unavoidable. In my larger grows we would get them every cycle, even with really toxic fumigations between runs. A week after planting new cuts, you'd start seeing black specks on sticky cards..
Yep

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Man I went 5 years with only one appearance of gnats that went away when i thinned out the crowded room and dried things out a bit more. Didnt see them for 3 years intil i got some cold wet stored soil without thinking and now i always have a couple flyers when I water. Cards take a month to have gnats all over them at least but i cant seem to eliminate them anymore.

I have only used BT and sticky cards to fight them though. I have some azamax but i have never used even that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom