the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man I went 5 years with only one appearance of gnats that went away when i thinned out the crowded room and dried things out a bit more. Didnt see them for 3 years intil i got some cold wet stored soil without thinking and now i always have a couple flyers when I water. Cards take a month to have gnats all over them at least but i cant seem to eliminate them anymore.

I have only used BT and sticky cards to fight them though. I have some azamax but i have never used even that.

I wonder if maybe FF heat sterilizes their peat before mixing? I know promix doesnt, or didnt anayway. Its commonly referred to as gnatmix up here. Even in school at Kwantlen for greenhouse production they had a massive heat sterilizer that all their peat was run through before planting. We made our own mixes there though, it wasnt promix. But I think pretty well any peat mix that isnt heat sterilized has the potential to come with gnats.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wonder if maybe FF heat sterilizes their peat before mixing? I know promix doesnt, or didnt anayway. Its commonly referred to as gnatmix up here. Even in school at Kwantlen for greenhouse production they had a massive heat sterilizer that all their peat was run through before planting. We made our own mixes there though, it wasnt promix. But I think pretty well any peat mix that isnt heat sterilized has the potential to come with gnats.

Fox farm says they dont on the website.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well I just opened a 2.5 month old bale from the top of a shrink wrapped pallet stored inside a store so I guess I will see. No gnats flew out. I never saw that even before my big infestation.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I've never seen a live one fly out of a bag. And I also grew in it for several years in my tent grow without gnats, I dont think its inevitable, but certainly believe it's possible and has happened to me several times.

Moshmen

Moshmen

The only one bad infestation of soil gnats I had I put a layer of DE down and fine sand over that.
Couple weeks later they vanished.
I hate invasive bugs.
I have miles of white sand here! How much DE ? Just enuff to lightly cover? Or more

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

I have miles of white sand here! How much DE ? Just enuff to lightly cover? Or more
Dust the tops of the pots pretty good. Next time you water, dust them again to catch any subsequent hatches. Depending on how bad your infestation is, you may need to do that several times. Try not to breathe the dust, it's really not good for your lungs, mask up if you can. Everybody says to use food grade, it's safer, but folks argue that even then there's a risk. I donno. I'm getting older, I use the reg. DE and just go for it, but my garden is small.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Dust the tops of the pots pretty good. Next time you water, dust them again to catch any subsequent hatches. Depending on how bad your infestation is, you may need to do that several times. Try not to breathe the dust, it's really not good for your lungs, mask up if you can. Everybody says to use food grade, it's safer, but folks argue that even then there's a risk. I donno. I'm getting older, I use the reg. DE and just go for it, but my garden is small.
Scrape the top inch of soil around the rim off, that's where they live, it knocks the majority of the out. I'll add more soil if needed but that.fans over the pots .and sticky tape seems to work for me.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Not much new.. Just more yellow pics

Black d.o.g
20200219 074634

Yet more Indian Bubblegum 🤦‍♂️
20200219 074651

Going to properly spread them out after watering tonight, the dog doesn't need much attention but the bubblegum takes a lot of work (and a lot of green bamboo sticks) LOL

Have a great day and enjoy the song!

Moshmen

Moshmen

Done and worked !

Top Bottom