the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
A tablespoon is a lot more than i would add just to be clear. I add about 1 gram per gallon of mixed nutrient solution. About 1/4 tsp per gallon.

You've got me looking back at my fabric pot grow man.. lol. Hard to argue with the amazing growth rates. I think my plants grew faster in big fabric pots of promix than they did in rockwool.
I missed the why you're using the Epsom salts, preventative or supplement

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'm thinking if it wasn't for the constant grow issue that arise during just about every grow we'd be talking about the weather and grandkids lol . This Feb has been an all around shit month in the grow and life in general for us. We're happy and healthy but the shit that's been going on around us.... let just say bring on March fkin quicker. My folks always went to Hawaii/ Maui for Feb I think I should have followed their lead.😅😅
I hate the winter believe me! And the older I get the more I hate it LOL

even though it's been very mild in my part of New England, my friend just 100 miles north has had one of the snowiest Winters she's had in awhile so I guess it's kind of.. I don't know what the hell's going on if I'm honest?? iguanas are freezing and falling out of trees in Mexico, but here in New England I'm down the beach in February?? WTF??

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I couldn't recall if it was a teaspoon or a tablespoon, thanks! I was going to ask you which before I added it because I couldn't find your original post when you mentioned doing this but it seems like a good idea

It's a good source of both Mag and sulphur, but it doesnt take much. I weigh out 18 grams for my 18 gallon res and fully dissolve it in a jar of hot water first, then dump that in the res. And I only do it for one resivoir around 3 weeks before harvest.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I missed the why you're using the Epsom salts, preventative or supplement
I'm taking a recommendation from Dirtbag on this; actually I used to do something like this a while back I don't know when I stopped & I'm not sure how much I used but I used to throw it on top at about halfway through Bloom

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

It's a good source of both Mag and sulphur, but it doesnt take much. I weigh out 18 grams for my 18 gallon res and fully dissolve it in a jar of hot water first, then dump that in the res. And I only do it for one resivoir around 3 weeks before harvest.
Exactly because I've been giving them a mag boost via my master blend mix at about the same point but I'm just going to broadcasted on top now and the main reason I'm doing it is because the sulfur will give it a Flavor Boost, or at least I'm hoping so🤞

Although it would be pretty hard to boost the smell and flavor of that black dog holy cow!! I don't know how I'm going to run a full tent of them at once but that's my next run, the filters new so I'm going to give it a try!?

Today when I didn't feel like schlepping all that shit at 5 a.m. as soon as I bent down to pick up that black dog I was instantly happy to be there! I love that black cherry smell

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I hate the winter believe me! And the older I get the more I hate it LOL

even though it's been very mild in my part of New England, my friend just 100 miles north has had one of the snowiest Winters she's had in awhile so I guess it's kind of.. I don't know what the hell's going on if I'm honest?? iguanas are freezing and falling out of trees in Mexico, but here in New England I'm down the beach in February?? WTF??
You've grown your winter fur now though and have adjusted to the climate. Put you in the same temp in July and you'll be running for the fireplace. I worked in Hawaii for a couple years off and on and I remember one day we were driving home from work and I'm freezing in the back seat, I asked the guys to roll up the window as we passed a bank with an outdoor sign reading at 4:30pm - 78F I had adjusted to 80f+ and 78F was too cold lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Realized a few things today: first that I hadn't written a single thing down since about January 15th LOL had to go back and find above post 10 pages back to see when I put these in bloom!?

I also learned that grow bags aren't as bad as I initially thought, however with my physical restrictions I'm not going to use them unless I have more really big plants like the two I'm blooming above because I don't like the way they keep running off forever, can't keep lifting them up to swap out catch trays

Learn that @MIMedGrower was likely correct and I've started taking my run off readings from the last runoff not the first that comes out. Still not positive about this but the late readings seem to be more correct than the first readings

Also I'm going to take @Dirtbag advice and in one week on week 5 I'm going to broadcast a tablespoon of epsom salts on the top of my plants for the first time because of his recommendation

So that's it, everything is back in correct range: the only thing having a hard time is Mazzy Star and if I'm honest if I get one of these remo chemo or remo crosses to root she's out anyway, although she's the one that tipped me off that this condition was going on! she's backed up

I managed to stop all the yellowing and correct the soil PH in the whole veg tent because of this Mazzy Star, so let's give her a round of applause!

Ladies and gentlemen; Mazzy Star! the plant who saved the veg tent

I need to clarify this runoff thing. I get 2 cups of runoff after 8 cups (plastic cup 8/gallon).

I test both for ppm to compare.

I also pour 4 cups in and let soak a few minutes to 10 min before pouring the second half gallon through. Helps dissolve salts and iron/ calcium from my well water.

If i think I have too much nutes going on i run a gallon of fresh water through first. Test the runoff then either leave it till next time or add back less nutes. I test ppm throigh the whole process to see what's flushing out.

I also usually give the dry plants a couple cups of water at lights on to get the roots wet first while i set up for whatever is needed.

Also I still have not had a plant in any brand potting soil that needed any lime even up to 12 weeks. Every overnuted acidic pot i have had through all these nutrient issues has come back with proper ph after flushing.

Ocean forest has plenty of oyster shell for a weed grow. Why add lime when they use more expensive oyster shell?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

A tablespoon is a lot more than i would add just to be clear. I add about 1 gram per gallon of mixed nutrient solution. About 1/4 tsp per gallon.

You've got me looking back at my fabric pot grow man.. lol. Hard to argue with the amazing growth rates. I think my plants grew faster in big fabric pots of promix than they did in rockwool.

I thought that too just from the pics. Was there a flavor difference? Potency?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I need to clarify this runoff thing. I get 2 cups of runoff after 8 cups (plastic cup 8/gallon).

I test both for ppm to compare.

I also pour 4 cups in and let soak a few minutes to 10 min before pouring the second half gallon through. Helps dissolve salts and iron/ calcium from my well water.

If i think I have too much nutes going on i run a gallon of fresh water through first. Test the runoff then either leave it till next time or add back less nutes. I test ppm throigh the whole process to see what's flushing out.

I also usually give the dry plants a couple cups of water at lights on to get the roots wet first while i set up for whatever is needed.

Also I still have not had a plant in any brand potting soil that needed any lime even up to 12 weeks. Every overnuted acidic pot i have had through all these nutrient issues has come back with proper ph after flushing.

Ocean forest has plenty of oyster shell for a weed grow. Why add lime when they use more expensive oyster shell?
I don't know about cups and measures but we had a conversation here previously about taking run off from the first or the last run off and I have always been taking the first

you recommended the last run off and that's what's working out for me now, seems like a more true reading than the front runoff

At least I thought it was a conversation with you? LOL I could be wrong

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I thought that too just from the pics. Was there a flavor difference? Potency?

To be honest, so far the flavor is more potent with the hydro but it's also a bit harsh still and needs to finish drying and curing before I can really say for sure either way. But I have to admit that hydro grow was rushed, and I started with crappy unhealthy clones which makes a big difference. But there is no question that fabric pot grow was amazing, One of my best veg rates and would have been awesome had I not fried the pistils in early flower with that sulphur burner. I'm really thinking hard about why I shouldnt try it again lol.. But Im thinking about smaller fabric pots of coco too.. Use the same floraflex caps and frequent irrigations...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I don't know about cups and measures but we had a conversation here previously about taking run off from the first or the last run off and I have always been taking the first

you recommended the last run off and that's what's working out for me now, seems like a more true reading than the front runoff

It was. But i should have said i take both readings often.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

To be honest, so far the flavor is more potent with the hydro but it's also a bit harsh still and needs to finish drying and curing before I can really say for sure either way. But I have to admit that hydro grow was rushed, and I started with crappy unhealthy clones which makes a big difference. But there is no question that fabric pot grow was amazing, One of my best veg rates and would have been awesome had I not fried the pistils in early flower with that sulphur burner. I'm really thinking hard about why I shouldnt try it again lol.. But Im thinking about smaller fabric pots of coco too.. Use the same floraflex caps and frequent irrigations...
I've got crazy root growth like never before but in all honesty I also started using mykos again recently so there's a couple of variables going on but yeah I have sick root growth, you can see this fine spider web of roots growing right to the top could barely push a popsicle stick marker into the soil without breaking it

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It was. But i should have said i take both readings often.
I take multiple readings as I pour off the run off. early run off is always high. I use a 2 oz solo cup and drain all the water off and suck up 2oz and test. then let it all run off and wait til there's enough water to test again. that is the test water I chart ( for me just p/h and ppm now). Even giving more water to the plant at that point and testing its run off the reading will stay very close to what I used for the chart.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I take multiple readings as I pour off the run off. early run off is always high. I use a 2 oz solo cup and drain all the water off and suck up 2oz and test. then let it all run off and wait til there's enough water to test again. that is the test water I chart ( for me just p/h and ppm now). Even giving more water to the plant at that point and testing its run off the reading will stay very close to what I used for the chart.

Got ya. I want to add that it is important to take and measure the runoff the same way each time for consistancy.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I believe we were talking about this last summer when I had a low ph problem and you recommended I try lime. Then the soil slurry test I bitched about taking and how we took our measurements differently.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

"I am become Oppenheimer"
-
me

the bad news is three plants were culled; two were mature and in bloom and one was a cross I made myself however it seem to have little resistance to the wpm and I just didn't have room for it, this is emergency mode so shit happens

Anyway after I drag the dead carcasses out today I'll be left with:

Veg is in check, extra air has been added..
20200224 214929

There was only one seedling, unfortunately I forgot and sprayed it at full strength but it's fine

The good news is I caught WPM early; the bad is I just found a spot on a remo chemo cross that I moved into bloom yesterday, but it was also heavily sprayed

the plan:

• increase airflow
  • burn sulfur 1 hour / 3 days in a row
  • Burn sulfur 1 hour every 3 days
  • Continue daily checks
  • Continue copper fungicide treatments if needed
This is my first time dealing with wpm so if there's anything I've missed please feel free to add from your own experience

I don't have enough available electricity to run a large dehumidifier without adding another electrical line in the grow room so that's not an option at this time ✌

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Wow. Sorry youre dealing with the pm. Seems you make the right choice culling the sick plants. Only time i saw it so far was on clones in a dome. I got rid of the cuttings and cleaned it all out. I just rooted all my new cuts in open air in the tent after a couple weeks in glasses of water. Worked fine. I fear the dome now.

I am anti high humidity gardening. Or living. I keep the whole house and basement around 50%.

Top Bottom