the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

^ That’s why I stopped growing it Indian bubble gum( I had multiple pheno’s of that x’s with Stardawg and all wanted 10 + weeks at min )

Damn nice trichs you got there! love the strain choices <3 even thou the bubble gum didn’t fit your fancy I’m sure you got a bunch of gems as mothers lol. Keep it up!
Thanks for the kind words! yeah I can't flower it again right now, it's maddening waiting for it to finish LOL plus veg is starting to get backed up :/

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I learned (and not unexpectedly, actually it's not the first time) what happens when you keep feeding a veg plant even lightly, and never flush the medium

Although they look fine my bigger plants are showing acidic runoff. The scale on my pH drops only goes down to 6.0 so I don't actually know how low it is but it's not very low

And of the plants I flushed yesterday, when watered with a tablespoon of dolomite I got run off above 6 on two of the three

I don't flush veg pla because if I'm honest I'm lazy and it's a pain in the ass to pull them out and what have you, I reserved that dedication for my blooming plants

Nothing gets out of whack to the point where it's impaired, I've got an eye on it all, believe me

20200120 115321

Adequate space is obviously the biggest issue, wish I had bought two five by five tent's initially

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I learned (and not unexpectedly, actually it's not the first time) what happens when you keep feeding a veg plant even lightly, and never flush the medium

Although they look fine my bigger plants are showing acidic runoff. The scale on my pH drops only goes down to 6.0 so I don't actually know how low it is but it's not very low

And of the plants I flushed yesterday, when watered with a tablespoon of dolomite I got run off above 6 on two of the three

I don't flush veg pla because if I'm honest I'm lazy and it's a pain in the ass to pull them out and what have you, I reserved that dedication for my blooming plants

Nothing gets out of whack to the point where it's impaired, I've got an eye on it all, believe me

View attachment 938007

Adequate space is obviously the biggest issue, wish I had bought two five by five tent's initially

Im almost ready to ditch the little veg tent and open my room up like my flower room but cold temps in winter are an issue. Easier to maintain some heat in the 3x3.

Now that my back is compromised i cant stand leaning into the damn tent.

I have a 315 cmh and various t-5 lamps to spread out some. Should cover a 6’x3’ space. If i find a clone i have to keep i could keep a mom then.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

🤔💭

So a few thoughts on so-called 'Grow Bags'

No sir, I don't like them..
20200207 064424

Now you might say well Beach you don't understand they air-pruned the roots, and I would say ..and so?

And you might answer well more Roots more fruits and I would say is that really true?

And then I would follow up with this list of why I don't like them, and why they're not worth me personally using

First every time I pick them up I feel like I'm tearing the roots and I probably am to some extent, or maybe I'm just not accustomed to how floppy they feel compared to hard pots

Next I had to water them forever to get run off, and the runoff comes out everywhere! I don't know if I'm getting the water I just poured in running out the sides or the water I'm trying to get accurate RO readings from thru the bottom; it's probably a mix and I don't think it can be very accurate

And last ( & worst😡) they drain forever, no wonder so many people have springtails & other bugs and the excess moisture probably even contributes to molds and fungus wouldn't surprise me at all!

I had to swap these trees from tray to tray and drain the trays dozens of times so far, not fun with a bad back; and they're still draining! they're sitting in there now underwater in their trays 😕

I don't see any way I could run a proper wet/dry garden using these bags, there would always be something sopping wet

20200207 055928

Again I'm just saying why grow bags won't work for me personally with the mobility issues since the accident, but these things that are drawbacks to me may be acceptable for others who don't have these issues, and these bags may work just fine in that case

But unless I want to worry about springtails come the morning I've got to go back just before lights out and drain the wonderful green trays yet again another one million times, so no sir I don't like then, I don't like them at all.

.. but maybe they'll grow on me?!
Get it, grow bags, grow on me!? 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
We all have our own needs and expectations!
I've used them for 20+ years so I guess ive worked through the differences.
I always water until there is a couple inches of water runoff in the tray and then let it suck it back up.
Of course my bags are much bigger. 93 gallons big so my soil stays fairly evenly moistened. I could never lift my bag to see how moist it is.
I guess I've gotten where I can feel the outside of the bag to see how wet it is.
Can ya sit the bag in another pot to finish out your grow? Not sure how that would work either though.
Plant does look healthy.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

We all have our own needs and expectations!
I've used them for 20+ years so I guess ive worked through the differences.
I always water until there is a couple inches of water runoff in the tray and then let it suck it back up.
Of course my bags are much bigger. 93 gallons big so my soil stays fairly evenly moistened. I could never lift my bag to see how moist it is.
I guess I've gotten where I can feel the outside of the bag to see how wet it is.
Can ya sit the bag in another pot to finish out your grow? Not sure how that would work either though.
Plant does look healthy.
Lol!🤣😂🤣😂 at 93 gallons you're not worried about picking them up LMAO!😄😉

But in all fairness I am open to trying new things I just can't deal with the excess labor, for me the hard-sided pots are easier for me to work with I will just simply by a couple of larger hard pots next time I'm up the hydro store

I've had my eye on the kind with the holes in the side which are virtually the same as the soft sided regarding root pruning ability and for me personally they'd be easier to work with

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I've looked at those too!
Nice but pricey, I'll probably get a couple up the hydro store but I'm not sure if they keep draining forever like the soft sided bags or if they drain and get it all over with at once like the regular hard-sided pots because the draining is the big issue I'm having having to keep picking them up because I won't leave things sitting in their own water, I'll find out about that before I buy them

Screenshot 20200207 074957 Chrome

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

It seems like they would be hard to clean between uses.
..always something🤦‍♂️

Just to just to finish up my rant about nothing except my sore back there was about a half a cup of water in the saucer under each of them just now

the problem is I'm pretty sure there's already about a half a cup under them again right now and it's going to sit there during the dark period which is what stresses me more than the added schlepping of the pots :/ ..oh well, I'm over it now LOL on to the next!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It seems like they would be hard to clean between uses.
I've been looking at getting one of those pots but they're too pricey new, If I find any used I'll pick one up. I was wondering about just drilling a bunch of sm holes in the sides of the pots I use to see if it works in a similar way to promote roots splitting.

With watering and feedings requiring 20 -30% runoff how do you manage to do that in large pots ie: 5 gal + without using all your nute's up. I found using 5 gal over 3 gal I was using double the water and nute's and with runoff required that's a lot of wasted nutes. On small plants in the big pots like 5 gal fabric how do you manage flow through without using up all your nute's when the girls are small?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I've been looking at getting one of those pots but they're too pricey new, If I find any used I'll pick one up. I was wondering about just drilling a bunch of sm holes in the sides of the pots I use to see if it works in a similar way to promote roots splitting.

With watering and feedings requiring 20 -30% runoff how do you manage to do that in large pots ie: 5 gal + without using all your nute's up. I found using 5 gal over 3 gal I was using double the water and nute's and with runoff required that's a lot of wasted nutes. On small plants in the big pots like 5 gal fabric how do you manage flow through without using up all your nute's when the girls are small?
In coco we're watering the pot not the plant. It goes against everything we've ever done in soil but actually works. Nutes are pretty cheap when purchased in quantity. For $35 I get 5lbs MasterBlend, 5lbs Calicum and 2.5lbs Epson salt which make 1200 gal. What to do with the waste water is the hard part. I use it in flower beds and just in the lawn but I've got a big yard.

I'm going to run some 3-5 gal pots this year and expect a lot of runoff. My greenhouses sits on a 5' rise so I can run the waste to other areas with a hose.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
In coco we're watering the pot not the plant. It goes against everything we've ever done in soil but actually works. Nutes are pretty cheap when purchased in quantity. For $35 I get 5lbs MasterBlend, 5lbs Calicum and 2.5lbs Epson salt which make 1200 gal. What to do with the waste water is the hard part. I use it in flower beds and just in the lawn but I've got a big yard.

I'm going to run some 3-5 gal pots this year and expect a lot of runoff. My greenhouses sits on a 5' rise so I can run the waste to other areas with a hose.
I use the GH flora series which run at $20 per quart each. I only use a tbl of each per gal at max in veg so I'm really being cheap seeing as a bottle last 9 - 10 months but I see lots of pics with the guys using the large 5 gal + fabric pots with small plants and wonder how and why they do that, thinking about how much water, nute's and how long it takes for them to dry out enough to water / fert again. The humidity increase with that much water in the space/ tents just seems hard to understand the necessity for the large pots.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't run off in soil every time I water, in these Big 5 gallons bags I'll probably only water for runoff twice more altogether in the couple months they've got to go

I use the GH flora series which run at $20 per quart each. I only use a tbl of each per gal at max in veg so I'm really being cheap seeing as a bottle last 9 - 10 months but I see lots of pics with the guys using the large 5 gal + fabric pots with small plants and wonder how and why they do that, thinking about how much water, nute's and how long it takes for them to dry out enough to water / fert again. The humidity increase with that much water in the space/ tents just seems hard to understand the necessity for the large pots.
I agree I don't like all that moisture in there I could have made do with the three gallons but one of them was close to rootbound I should have bought the 5 gal. hard sided buckets tho, live and learn

On the positive side the roots are growing like crazy in them I can barely push a shish kabob down to the bottom to check the moisture through all the brand new roots!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
🤔💭

So a few thoughts on so-called 'Grow Bags'

No sir, I don't like them..
View attachment 938469

Now you might say well Beach you don't understand they air-pruned the roots, and I would say ..and so?

And you might answer well more Roots more fruits and I would say is that really true?

And then I would follow up with this list of why I don't like them, and why they're not worth me personally using

First every time I pick them up I feel like I'm tearing the roots and I probably am to some extent, or maybe I'm just not accustomed to how floppy they feel compared to hard pots

Next I had to water them forever to get run off, and the runoff comes out everywhere! I don't know if I'm getting the water I just poured in running out the sides or the water I'm trying to get accurate RO readings from thru the bottom; it's probably a mix and I don't think it can be very accurate

And last ( & worst😡) they drain forever, no wonder so many people have springtails & other bugs and the excess moisture probably even contributes to molds and fungus wouldn't surprise me at all!

I had to swap these trees from tray to tray and drain the trays dozens of times so far, not fun with a bad back; and they're still draining! they're sitting in there now underwater in their trays 😕

I don't see any way I could run a proper wet/dry garden using these bags, there would always be something sopping wet

View attachment 938468

Again I'm just saying why grow bags won't work for me personally with the mobility issues since the accident, but these things that are drawbacks to me may be acceptable for others who don't have these issues, and these bags may work just fine in that case

But unless I want to worry about springtails come the morning I've got to go back just before lights out and drain the wonderful green trays yet again another one million times, so no sir I don't like then, I don't like them at all.

.. but maybe they'll grow on me?!
Get it, grow bags, grow on me!? 🤦‍♂️
Thanks you for the honest assessment of the fabric bag (craze) I've been wondering myself about there practicality. I don't think I need a new headache to deal with. The Air pruning pots would be the same way wouldn't they? with water coming out everywhere and they look flimsy and impractical if they only come in 1 gal and 10 gal sizes ( as per amazon) there would be no transplanting out of them without ripping the roots to shreds.

Top Bottom