The Best Weed!!!

• Thread starter Farmer P
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
No Mother Nature involved in what those scientists are creating. But genetic modification is going to be huge in all kinds of products at some point. You know they will keep on regulating. Regulations protect dollars.

No Mother Nature involved? That’s odd. Had no idea they created the genetics from scratch and then modified them. Interesting.

SinCity

SinCity

No Mother Nature involved in what those scientists are creating. But genetic modification is going to be huge in all kinds of products at some point. You know they will keep on regulating. Regulations protect dollars.

Call me crazy, but there will ALWAYS be high demand for truly great weed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

No Mother Nature involved? That’s odd. Had no idea they created the genetics from scratch and then modified them. Interesting.

The plants will grow naturally of course like all the wheat and corn but what they do to the cells to modify them in the lab is far from nature in my opinion.

Farmer P

Farmer P

I would say if you popped that seed then that is your phenotype. You are the only one who has that exact genetic plant. So what if others are similar because yours is unique. No other dna in the world will match your pheno so why not be able to patent it. I'm not saying that then you should have a claim on anyone else who uses your pheno to breed or has similar genetics, but that individual pheno should (and does until you give it out) belong to you.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would say if you popped that seed then that is your phenotype. You are the only one who has that exact genetic plant. So what if others are similar because yours is unique. No other dna in the world will match your pheno so why not be able to patent it. I'm not saying that then you should have a claim on anyone else who uses your pheno to breed or has similar genetics, but that individual pheno should (and does until you give them out) belong to you.

A patent is exactly a claim on anyone else using your product.

But for a patent you must show something unique. I dont think they will except just any phenotype from a seed. Especially if those seeds are already from a verified strain.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
The plants will grow naturally of course like all the wheat and corn but what they do to the cells to modify them in the lab is far from nature in my opinion.

What they do in a lab is stack the deck. But Mother Nature still deals the cards. And Mother Nature created the cards for them to stack.

I get it. They modify genetics to suit their objective. But they did not create the genetics, they simply modified them.

If GM makes a car and governs the speed, you buy it and modify it to go faster, you’ve simply modified someone else’s work. You didn’t create shit. You simply tinkered with it. You can’t take credit for creating the car, you can take credit for modifying it but that’s it.

Farmer P

Farmer P

A patent is exactly a claim on anyone else using your product.

But for a patent you must show something unique. I dont think they will except just any phenotype from a seed. Especially if those seeds are already from a verified strain.

If I had a patented pheno and I legally sold you a copy I could care less what you do with it for your personal needs and even if you give it away, but if you take Farmer P weed and re-name it MIMed weed and start selling it then we would have a problem. That would be the only reason for the patent.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Genetic modification...hmmm, why does that sound familiar...? LOL

I was being sarcastic. My point was they simply tinkered with existing genes to create something slightly different. Many times it’s to allow plants to grow in conditions it was not meant to grow in or to protect them against certain pathogens or pests. But they didn’t create corn. Mother Nature did. They simply modified it to suit their needs.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
If I had a patented pheno and I legally sold you a copy I could care less what you do with it for your personal needs and even if you give it away, but if you take Farmer P weed and re-name it MIMed weed and start selling it then we would have a problem. That would be the only reason for the patent.

See that’s my problem. Weed belongs to us all and the earth. Period. Either you give back to nature and share it or you keep it to yourself and don’t. But just because you have a pheno or geno does not mean it’s yours. It’s like saying I own my pets. I do not. I adopted them sure but i don’t own them. The earth owns us all.

Farmer P

Farmer P

What they do in a lab is stack the deck. But Mother Nature still deals the cards. And Mother Nature created the cards for them to stack.

I get it. They modify genetics to suit their objective. But they did not create the genetics, they simply modified them.

If GM makes a car and governs the speed, you buy it and modify it to go faster, you’ve simply modified someone else’s work. You didn’t create shit. You simply tinkered with it. You can’t take credit for creating the car, you can take credit for modifying it but that’s it.

Tinkering with a car and breeding weed are very different things. People who hunt phenos are doing hard work and should own that work. Genetically modified is something different and I think it should probably be outlawed since it has such potential to "infect" other peoples natural crops with possibly harmful pollen. I think it is too hard to contain to mess with. We don't know what the long term effects are going to be. No one does.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I hear ya. But modifying a car with parts to make it go faster is not an analogy for genetic manipulation.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Tinkering with a car and breeding weed are very different things. People who hunt phenos are doing hard work and should own that work. Genetically modified is something different and I think it should probably be outlawed since it has such potential to "infect" other peoples natural crops with possibly harmful pollen. I think it is too hard to contain to mess with. We don't know what the long term effects are going to be. No one does.

I was using an analogy to better illustrate my underlying point. And maybe I’m operating under wishful thinking. But that’s how I am. I see this market headed in the wrong direction and it was that way in 2001 when I started collecting genetics.

Too many folks trying to make a buck off someone else’s work when all they did was toss some pollen.

Don’t get me wrong there are folks putting in work and churning out remarkable results. But if they are strictly profit motivated then they don’t have the plant in their heart they have dollar signs. And that imo is a problem.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That’s your decision but in court you sure could sue me for selling your strain under your name without permission too.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

See that’s my problem. Weed belongs to us all and the earth. Period. Either you give back to nature and share it or you keep it to yourself and don’t. But just because you have a pheno or geno does not mean it’s yours. It’s like saying I own my pets. I do not. I adopted them sure but i don’t own them. The earth owns us all.

This is why I am not really for “legal” weed. It’s just regulated for the courts to arrest over and of course ways to make money.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
This is why I am not really for “legal” weed. It’s just regulated for the courts to arrest over and of course ways to make money.

I’m for them stopping the arrests and allowing adults to use it as they please. Today you can be arrested for simple possession in Michigan. Next week you’ll need a lot more than a few joints to get arrested. That’s progress.

SinCity

SinCity

I was being sarcastic. My point was they simply tinkered with existing genes to create something slightly different. Many times it’s to allow plants to grow in conditions it was not meant to grow in or to protect them against certain pathogens or pests. But they didn’t create corn. Mother Nature did. They simply modified it to suit their needs.

Apologies--I was being a smart ass.

Top Bottom