The captain’s inquiry, what is everyone’s thoughts on stalk splitting the last week before harvest?

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Plant masochist....... ;)

Everyone knows you have to strip all the leaves, drill a hole through the stem, and shine UVB light inside of it....

simonkay

simonkay

Hey brother I just asked the question on twitter today and got a load of 'trust me bro' don't do it response without any evidence to prove it one way or the other. I even had a big account telling me it's bro science whilst only providing their personal opinion 🥴
I don't know jack about these techniques but I'm aware they use it successfully in the avocado, lychee, apple industries so why not Mary Jane.

This lady does a side by side with interesting results. Question is can it crossover to the dank side

Screenshot 2023 10 02 16 34 13 855 comandroidchrome
Screenshot 2023 09 26 12 02 45 505 comgoogleandroidgooglequicksearchbox
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I live in Walnut country, and they all girdle the trunks! I don’t have the guts to do it on pot! I have tried, splitting, driving, lag bolts through the stalk but never noticed any big difference. Maybe I do it too late.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
The trick is to keep the wound separated with air able to pass though, I think using a spike or a lag bolt seals the wound to the elements, this is just a theory, but I find more success using a drill. That way the wound is forced to stay open. Accelerating the trich production….

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I’ll give that a whirl! I was wondering about that!
I usually do 2 holes, one a few inches up from the medium, turn the drill 90 degrees go up another couple of inches and drill again, for 2 separate holes. Works great when I do it. I didn’t want to muddy the waters with the drilling method on top of the old school splitting style, didn’t want to make anyone’s head pop off, drilling is way easier too. Less chance for over splitting anything….

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the size of the holes relative to the diameter of the stock. Indoors it might not matter but outdoors you don’t want to create a weak spot that might come back to haunt you when it gets windy and rainy. I’m going to read those two links about splitting.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the size of the holes relative to the diameter of the stock. Indoors it might not matter but outdoors you don’t want to create a weak spot that might come back to haunt you when it gets windy and rainy. I’m going to read those two links about splitting.
Oooh yeah! Absolutely, definitely use your brain there. Maybe use larger distance between holes as well. Try to keep all of your tools relative to stalk size….use nothing larger than 1/5 of the stalk diameter when it comes to the bit you use, maybe even smaller still. Good thinking @Oldchucky

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

YO HOMIES!
I was wanting to pose the question on stalk splitting.
I have done it with success in the past.

I’m really wanting to know if anyone else has tried this approach, and what did you learn? Did it seemingly boost trichromes like the application suggests? I really think that there is something to it……
Tree split

yo cap check this for a stalk split. 😂

Madbud

Madbud

I’ve split the stem with a knife, easier if its hollow, twist the blade to push a pencil-sized, dried pot stem thru to hold it open the last weeks of flower. Did a couple individual branches too, to compare, nothing to report.

Top Bottom