The Car & Bike Lover's Thread

• Thread starter Junk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tipz

tipz

the z/28 actually had a cowl induction hood. Come on over i need plenty of help on the vette. i'll treat ya. lol

tipz

tipz

Nice @tipz looks like a z28 hood kinda, what you got in her is she a 4spd or auto? used to have 68 myself not a SS in high school damn I want her back maybe one day!
Beautiful car you got there in envy on both of them!!!
Gotta love them Classic Chevy's!!!
Vette is a automatic TH350 2800 stall
Camaro is Tremic 5 speed... Tks man , money pit

DismalDude

DismalDude

Not much of a gear head here but I like what I am able to work on.Thankfully I have a very good friend who is a certified mechanic and likes to barter.
Picked up this 1986 Toyota cargo van recently and hope to have it set for a long road trip next summer.It runs like a champ and has only needed minor repairs so far.I'm in love!
ChicoVan

It's got the 22RE 2.2L 4cyl. engine which,from what I hear is Toyota's bulletproof motor.
2WD auto w/push button OD.Dual AC which works.1 ton cargo capacity.

Last edited:
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

These are fun little motors but that front bumper makes it look depressed as shit lol
Those are super fun. My parents had one. I always thought the front looked like those girls doing the duck face lip thing.
Hey DD, not bashing on your ride. I like the van. Short wheel base is nice. You could lift it a little and put some good off-road tires and have some fun with it. You would be surprised on what these can do.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Those are super fun. My parents had one. I always thought the front looked like those girls doing the duck face lip thing.
Hey DD, not bashing on your ride. I like the van. Short wheel base is nice. You could lift it a little and put some good off-road tires and have some fun with it. You would be surprised on what these can do.
It is a joy to drive man,I been wanting one for a long time!Going to try and keep it as stock as possible. ;) It sat for years so when I got it I had to drop the tank,clean out the rust,new fuel pump,new battery,it fired right up.After driving it for 175 miles testing the fuel filter clogged.You have to remove the passenger side seat,the center console,and the floor panel to get to it.The top line had a kink and sprung a leak upon replacing the filter and it was a pain in the arse to find the banjo fitting I needed to splice back into the existing fuel line to fix but finally got it right.Total investment so far is only about $650.00. :)

blazer

blazer

Not much of a gear head here but I like what I am able to work on.Thankfully I have a very good friend who is a certified mechanic and likes to barter.
Picked up this 1986 Toyota cargo van recently and hope to have it set for a long road trip next summer.It runs like a champ and has only needed minor repairs so far.I'm in love!
View attachment 538616
It's got the 22RE 2.2L 4cyl. engine which,from what I hear is Toyota's bulletproof motor.
My buddies dad in high school had one we used to laugh because it had over 100k on it and he claimed thAt he had never changed the Oil on her must of been that bullet proof motor, never gave him problems either, good find @DismalDude!

DismalDude

DismalDude

My buddies dad in high school had one we used to laugh because it had over 100k on it and he claimed thAt he had never changed the Oil on her must of been that bullet proof motor, never gave him problems either, good find @DismalDude!
Never changed the oil!? Lol,that's crazy!People that love and have these vans say they can go 300 to 400k easy with regular maintenance.Mines at 181k.

blazer

blazer

Toyota was Putting out a solid motors those years I know the trucks were hitting those miles also, not sure how they are now my bro has a new Tacoma and loves it!

DismalDude

DismalDude

Toyota was Putting out a solid motors those years I know the trucks were hitting those miles also, not sure how they are now my bro has a new Tacoma and loves it!
They were putting out great motors in the 80's.I had a 1/2 ton pickup with the exact same motor which I sold at 230k miles and I know it went for another couple hundred thousand before it jumped time and the guy scrapped it.

Junk

Junk

View attachment 538616

Those things are sad for two reasons

1. It's so ugly. I think the Pontiac Aztec is probably the only other uglier car.
2. The engines never quit lol, so you are stuck driving that ugly thing for a long time.

Seriously though, I don't care what it looks like, I'd love to have one of those. & one of the original Corolla's (the quick ones)

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

View attachment 538616
Those motors were pretty bulletproof,i had a 4wd truck i used for hunting trips and back and forth to work for years,i 4 wheeled the shit out of it and drove it back and forth to utah and wyoming at max throttle the whole way,used to jam a piece of 2x4 against the gas pedal and seat and only take it off when i needed to downshift,lol.It was ok on the flats but would lose Rs quick on the hills with the bfg 36s i had on her,offroad 4 wheeling my buddies jeep could not go where i could.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
My one experience with the 22RE was rather sad. An old friend's girlfriend had a Tacoma that somehow broke a good chunk off the top ring land (probably due to pinging) which then wedged itself in an open valve and completely destroyed that cylinder. Wound up buying a long block replacement from Autozone since that motor was good as toast at that point. Cylinder wall scarred, piston destroyed, head destroyed, bearings in terrible shape as she drove the damn thing for a few hundred miles before they asked my opinion and I agreed to do the rebuild.

That was a rare occurrence from my research and may have been a result of a variety of issues. The truck looked clean but no telling how it was maintained prior to her short period of ownership. Had another friend with a Cressida with the 7-MG, that was a hell of a fun car. The jz's are certainly a power plant to contend with as well.

My avatar says it all though, absolutely LOVE my Datsun L series motors. Torquey, bullet proof (for the most part) and unique sounding. Some are built in Japan to pull 9,000+ RPM and they sound like pure sex. The RB motors are mighty fine too, but the jz's are equally comparable yet come with a lesser price tag and more reliability.

DismalDude

DismalDude

My one experience with the 22RE was rather sad. An old friend's girlfriend had a Tacoma that somehow broke a good chunk off the top ring land (probably due to pinging) which then wedged itself in an open valve and completely destroyed that cylinder. Wound up buying a long block replacement from Autozone since that motor was good as toast at that point. Cylinder wall scarred, piston destroyed, head destroyed, bearings in terrible shape as she drove the damn thing for a few hundred miles before they asked my opinion and I agreed to do the rebuild.

That was a rare occurrence from my research and may have been a result of a variety of issues. The truck looked clean but no telling how it was maintained prior to her short period of ownership. Had another friend with a Cressida with the 7-MG, that was a hell of a fun car. The jz's are certainly a power plant to contend with as well.

My avatar says it all though, absolutely LOVE my Datsun L series motors. Torquey, bullet proof (for the most part) and unique sounding. Some are built in Japan to pull 9,000+ RPM and they sound like pure sex. The RB motors are mighty fine too, but the jz's are equally comparable yet come with a lesser price tag and more reliability.
I have just logged a bit over 1500 miles on the van as of yet with no problems save the clogging of the fuel filter and replacement of a small length of line.The yota motor is a beast and I'm sorry to hear you had a mishap but for the most part they're all bulletproof.Cool info on the Datsun love though! :)

DrFever

DrFever

oh shit might as well post some toys 28 with 31 fenders :) 450 HP with air tilt cruise 24 k guages etc my Al Capone cruiser GSXr 1100 modded of course with a slick on it nothing like going 200 plus mph at a wrist pull my rice car killer and 31 fenderless tubbed car i am building 2200 HP alchol blown BB engine going in you know the typical 250 mph quarter mile car
DSCF4613
DSCF4610
DSCF4617
DSCF4624
IMG 20150827 124206
IMG 20150827 123546

DismalDude

DismalDude

oh shit might as well post some toys 28 with 31 fenders :) 450 HP with air tilt cruise 24 k guages etc my Al Capone cruiser GSXr 1100 modded of course with a slick on it nothing like going 200 plus mph at a wrist pull my rice car killer and 31 fenderless tubbed car i am building 2200 HP alchol blown BB engine going in you know the typical 250 mph quarter mile car View attachment 545387 View attachment 545388 View attachment 545389 View attachment 545390 View attachment 545391 View attachment 545393
Well holy shit!

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

View attachment 538616
Bummer. The 22 RE motor is why i never bought a 4cyl 90 4runner. I guess its not so great on gas. But like you said, bulletproof. I wonder if the mileage is better in your van

But yeah always wanted one. Only 4 cyl 4wd i ever seen that wasnt garbage. Great little car

Top Bottom