The coco challenge.

• Thread starter cheech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrdizzle

Im not sure either way, in MMJ people follow a 78night-68day type of schedule, but the wine industry does measure a grow season by the mean of the difference in night and day temps, the less that number, the more ripe the grapes get, and usually means not a great year

ripe grapes arent that good but ripe MMJ probably is, who knows though I confirm sheeet

C

cheech

I don't know, but I haven't noticed the cold temperatures decreasing their metabolism. They're still needing to be watered every 3-4 days.

M

mrdizzle

I know someone with a sealed room that keeps it at the same temp, day and night, and just got 37lbs off 15k

he says he does it so he doesnt get bud rot because he doesnt have a dew point

who knows

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
well keeping day night temps close keeps the stretch down - always though the general rule was keep them within 10 degrees max

but the dew point thing makes sense - but I am pretty damn high too atm

A

aRiv

i've heard the same...just a few years ago the norm was within 10 degree's like mrD stated..

i notice less stretch when you keep temps as close as possible between night an day.

in a new sealed room i keep it within 10 but sometimes its 15 or so degrees difference and i know the problem is the size of the ac for the room which is a 5ton in a 12x25'. When the unit kicks on at night for just a cpl minutes it brings it down way to much but with the dehu running it creeps back up after a bit.

maybe i should leave the ac off at night and vent the room instead? the outer environment is air conditioned also but thats a steady temp day and night:bong-hits:

K

KGJ

Nice thread! How are the differences coming out? I rock compressed coco too, much cheaper, but is a beeyatch to break up sometimes when you have multiple bricks. As a side question how is Donk? I've got a few packs chillin, but never smoked it.

C

cheech

Yea I've got some photos but I'm so fucked up that I can't fine them. And I looked everywhere, first place was the fridge..

The canna is behind in growth in both trials in size alone. I'll take a closer look later to see if there is something positive to say about the plant growth.

In terms of cost though, the canna didn't really cost much more than the 50 lbs of brick I bought off of ebay. One bag of canna will handle 2 7 gallon containers for me when I transplant from a 1 gallon container. 25 bucks. The 50 lbs of the brick got me 15 7 gallon containers worth at 150 bucks. So if I was to have bought canna to fill those 15 containers it would have only cost 40 bucks more...

Now I really liked the conveniance of the brick though unlike most... UPS dropped it off, and it took less than an hour to fill/flush/feed/transplant. I've got to wait until its dark to get the canna in my living situation. If I had a garage it wouldn't be a problem.

But if the canna is behind in growth and yield I guess I lucked out. I'll still post yield of the canna vs brick plants.. Won't be anytime soon though.

C

cheech

Yea the donks kick ass. Look great.. I had 3 phenos. 2 were similar. Nodes didn't branch out much so I only had like 4 main colas compared to the other phenos that branched like a mother and probably had 7 mains about.

The two phenos that didn't branch got the fattest by far and finished at 8 weeks... The branchy pheno wasn't being fed nearly enough and definitively needed to go to 10 weeks... I'm running it again though only because I picked it as a mono crop to run based off it's veg characteristics, kind of kicking myself in the ass right now... I have no idea what the smoke is like yet.

K

KGJ

Awesome man. I was thinking about popping some Donk too. Let us know what the smoke is like when they are ready.

C

cheech

Canna came back and is the hardiest of the bunch it seems. Just thought I should let you guys know. I didn't see it coming, and it didn't happen until I put them under the 1k's.

Regret not transplanting to 2.5 before 7, and will start experimenting with percentages of perlite after the initial 1 gallon of pure coco. Too wet for my taste. I know they will eventually fill out with roots, and will need to be watered every 3 days, but transplanting into 7 gallons from 1 was pure laziness.

This has been a long veg about 2 months it looks like, but I want to drop my plant count for the 6k room down to 12. Because of my situation they'll need to veg longer. Benefit of dropping the horizontal plant count is now I have extra plants to flower bare bulb vertically. I'll post the 4 I have in a minute.

Rsz dscf1129
C

cheech

Original Diesel, Chemdog D, Chemdog #4, and The White. Gifted by another farmer, and I'm just finishing a harvest of it now, really looking forward to smoking it and hoping it fucks me up as much as I think it might.

DSCF1136
DSCF1138
DSCF1144
DSCF1147
L

Louisiana

Thanks for this test! I have been on the brick for a while. Could you post some more pics of some backed up shots maybe so we can see the difference? Thanks bro. Nice thread.

C

cheech

Thanks, and I feel so stupid right now. I looked at my little cap temp controller and the dials must have been brushed up against because they were pointing at the lowest setting of like 50 degrees. I was wondering why my exhaust fan was always running, and you would think I would say wow it's really cold in here, but nope. Have it at 80 now and everything's better. The leaves are pointing towards the sky. And I thought it was all these other problems. Hah.

K

kushsmoker30

my buddy put plants in too big of a container with coco and no perlite said he found
rizzotonic to be helpful right be4 lights went off for a 6 hr rest he would foliar feed em till he seen roots popping out the bottom

C

cheech

Thanks winta.

I bought some kangaroots, lol, who knows if this stuff works. Would have bought rapid start if htg had it in stock, and even considered roots excel. I think that now the temps are in check they will blow up under the 1k's. They must have had 55-60 temp for the last 4 days.

C

cheech

Ok guys. I owe you an apology.

I went back and forth a few times on which was better. I was wrong a few times... Canna was never better. It was always behind in growth and will remain that way till the end.

The hardiest plant was not the canna plant. I fucked up.

Here is the hardiest plant in all its glory(same plant posted on 9/30). Straight brick coco. A solid week ahead in growth than the others.

I will never buy canna again. It just isn't worth it. Poor performance and high price.

I'm on to new test now. Had been curious about running flock wool in buckets like Dynamite and some of his followers at planet whatever.

DSCF1196
DSCF1198
DSCF1199
Top Bottom