the coffee shop

• Thread starter boo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, the CO2 is still present in larger quantities in freshly roasted beans. If you ever try to do a brew of just-roasted beans, you'll find that they REALLY foam up.

I've had to drop dairy, I'm using homemade raw cashew milk creamer. I have tried, and tried and tried my best to enjoy a cuppa joe without sweetener or creamer. Just can't do it. Rather like beer for me, the bitterness is too strong.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Here's a definition I found on the degassing procsess..
Part of the reason that I took so long to make this decision is that medium roasted coffee when put through an espresso machine while too fresh has voluminous, albeit short-lived, crema and it is difficult to get a good balanced brew. Indeed the taste can be quite carbonated. Presumably the extreme crema is a result of excess CO2 and the coffee needs to de-gas (we usually wait at least a week) before going through the espresso machine. However, if I take a bag without a one-way valve and vacuum-pack it the beans seems to go through exactly the same process of settling down. Perhaps there is some CO2 within the beans that needs to escape"

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think the extra CO2 also can lend a slightly more astringent flavor, but that's my unrefined palate speaking. We've found that two to three days is when the beans "settle down" in terms of how much foam might be generated during brewing.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I think the extra CO2 also can lend a slightly more astringent flavor, but that's my unrefined palate speaking. We've found that two to three days is when the beans "settle down" in terms of how much foam might be generated during brewing.
I think roasting at altitude takes more time to decarb then at sea level. Ill will have to talk to the roaster next time i go to corvus.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I've had to drop dairy, I'm using homemade raw cashew milk creamer. I have tried, and tried and tried my best to enjoy a cuppa joe without sweetener or creamer. Just can't do it. Rather like beer for me, the bitterness is too strong.
I know you roast your own coffee but if I may suggest you should try coffee from a specialty shop that roast light. I would also suggest a natural proscessed because I think there tasting notes are a lot more pronounced without any cream or sugar.
Next step is what coffee grinder do you use? Your grinder can make or break your cup, 99% of the time a heap electric grinder creates way to much fine powder causing over extract and very bitter as u describe. A hand crank hario is about thirty bucks will do you right and beef up the hubbies arms lol.
And last is brew method and kind of water you use. Using fresh filtered water is essential when brewing coffee especially if your drinking it without sugar or cream.
I brew with a v60 pour over weigh out beans at 1:17 ratio to water. There's s learning curve that takes practice with this method but once you master it will be a piece of cake.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Also the kalita wave brew system is a little easier to work with and is one I would suggest as well!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know you roast your own coffee but if I may suggest you should try coffee from a specialty shop that roast light. I would also suggest a natural proscessed because I think there tasting notes are a lot more pronounced without any cream or sugar.
Next step is what coffee grinder do you use? Your grinder can make or break your cup, 99% of the time a heap electric grinder creates way to much fine powder causing over extract and very bitter as u describe. A hand crank hario is about thirty bucks will do you right and beef up the hubbies arms lol.
And last is brew method and kind of water you use. Using fresh filtered water is essential when brewing coffee especially if your drinking it without sugar or cream.
I brew with a v60 pour over weigh out beans at 1:17 ratio to water. There's s learning curve that takes practice with this method but once you master it will be a piece of cake.
It's some Italian job, Baratza, very adjustable burr grinder type of deal. We use an Aeropress primarily (and when I came home, no Keurig to be seen anywhere!), but I don't know the ratio we're using, that requires math. :o

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Here's some new coffees I posted in my thread as well:)
Enjoy!
Picked up a couple of wonderful African coffees yesturday! I love this time of the year when the high altitude coffees from Africa are in season they are the best in the world. The beans are smaller anddenser then beans from central andSouth America.
the super rich soil, elevation and andbean variety create some super exciting tasting notes in the cup to go with my flavorful varieties of ganja! Thank god for the motherland!:)

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
AND I HATE THEM!!!!!
Ok hate is a strong word
AND I STILL HATE THEM
I hate them and there shit coffee! I pretty much hate all big corporate assholes! Starbucksland is that in Seattle? Lol there's a lot of much better quality coffee shops up there if that's where your at

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Yes, Seattle, I usually drink Vita, costco, or Trader Joe
LoL I couldn't drink that If you paid me to haha search around there has to be some specialty shops up there in Seattle that buy quality beans to roast. Your gonna pay more but it's like smoking seedy mexi weed then stepping up to some elite home grown! The shops that roast light are the ones with the quality beans most of the time.

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

sounds like a skunk. They will tear up some ground looking for grubs. They tore up one hole on the golf course real bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom