The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice work! Congrats, the first successful crop is always the sweetest. I still remember the very fist plant I ever grew and harvested, one single Hawiaan sativa clone I got from a friend's dad. I was probably 17 years old or so and started it inside a stealth speaker cabinet grow in my bedroom until it was a foot tall or so and then stuck it in the ground, way the hell out in the bush down an old logging road. Was paranoid about someone finding it. Only visited it once every other week to check on it or bring it some food. Ill never forget the feeling of going out there in October and seeing it just perfectly ripe and ready to bring home. Only pulled like 4oz off it cause I started it late but it was so good. And 4oz in Nova Scotia at the time was worth nearly $900, weed was going for $230/oz back then. So as a 17 year old I was weed rich. I've been hooked on growing ever since.

In other news.. Power went out again here this morning. As it does.. a lot. Humidity is through the roof, so I guess It's a good time to run the genny and burn some sulphur..
I'm a little nervous burning sulphur with these LED's because they have 301B diodes, not the 301H that are sulphur corrosion resistant specifically for horticultural use. That is one thing I'd like to bring to @SpiderFarmerLED's attention, as I'm sure a lot of growers use sulphur. Having a board or bar light with the sulphur resistant 301H diodes would be a great option that many of us would likely pay a little extra for. As a precaution I'm going to wipe these ones down very gently with a microfibre cloth before they come back on again. I'd hate to damage them. But not burning sulphur in Veg, is not an option for me. It's the absolute backbone of my IPM strategy. No mites, no mildew, no way.

And have I mentioned? When they sleep, they really sleep 😴
20211120 115148

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I won't comment... not gonna lie the new highly sensitive Era socks sometimes lol
Lol, I censored myself there too...

I'll pop back in an hr and get a pic with the leaves up for dramatic reference.
This is the point things usually take off, once they're spread out and have room between them to grow they seem to fill that space awful quick. With all the extra light I have in here now I'm really curious to see how this all unfolds.
The HID's are set to 750w each right now, the LED's are at about 55%, and still brighter than the HID. I'm honestly a bit surprised by the performance of them so far.
Once I flip I'll turn the Lamps up to 1K again and start to dial up the LED 5% per day or so and see how much the plants can handle. And also see how my ventilation system handles all the heat.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
LED @Dirtbag I'm loving ya loving it. Or well atleast pleased so far.

So next question... cause you know I'm an ass like that.

When ya sealing it up for co2 🤣🤣🤣 ok ok I'll just go sit over by the dirtmobile with the tunes and stop busting balls (well ball if you don't get some shades 😎) couldn't resist
Haha, I knew this was coming sooner or later.

I'll be honest I don't see it ever happening in this room. I'm a simple guy, and Co2 just complicates everything many times over. I've come to terms with being happy with what I can produce with an old school vented setup. And quite happy I am. I'm not gonna sink that kinda money into a mini split and tank fills for an extra half pound or pound. I just don't need the extra weed or the faster growth.

If we had this conversation 10-15 years ago, I would likely take that step. Weed was way more valuable then, so a boost in yield would be worth the effort and investment.
But as a personal stash grow, yield isn't a big deal to me. I know a crop from this room will supply me all year long and the quality will still be there.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Always grab wood out of the pile using the axe, never with my hands. This is why.
That is a big piece of fir, and this bastard is 3" across. Harmless Giant house spider. But enough to give me a heart attack if it crawls across my hand.
20211120 174515
20211120 174506

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Not gonna bring it into the shed for IPM?? 😆
I found one of these in the shed a month or 2 ago. Spent almost an hour trying to find it after it disappeared behind the tent.
Had to dispatch that guy when I found it. I usually don't like to kill spiders, but sometimes they're just a little too big and ornery to feel comfortable catching and releasing.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I found one of these in the shed a month or 2 ago. Spent almost an hour trying to find it after it disappeared behind the tent.
Had to dispatch that guy when I found it. I usually don't like to kill spiders, but sometimes they're just a little too big and ornery to feel comfortable catching and releasing.
Catch and Release? What is this? San Fran? If its indoors, it dies.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Yeah, I'm generally a fan of spiders. Mostly because I hate mosquitos and the other insects that they eat.

Jumping Spider most beuatiful spider in the world 20

Look at that little guy. He just wants love and plenty of annoying bugs to eat. If you're cold, he's cold- let him in...to your heart!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@BionicKroniK saw this pic and said, "They look sad! Why?"
So, I had to explain to her that our plants thrive in the luxury of living soil while @Dirtbag runs his like a sweat shop with production quotas.

😆
Haha nah it's cause I had a power outage today and it threw off the timing of the dark cycle, lights went out 2hrs earlier than usual, and came on 2 hrs earlier to keep the dark period 6hrs. They were still pretty sleepy when I took that pic.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Haha nah it's cause I had a power outage today and it threw off the timing of the dark cycle, lights went out 2hrs earlier than usual, and came on 2 hrs earlier to keep the dark period 6hrs. They were still pretty sleepy when I took that pic.
Ok, she said. She won't call plant protective services this time.... 😝

Latest posts

Top Bottom