The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
harmonics

harmonics

Harmonics
Supporter
8748E395 F1CA 4E13 81E6 421B8CB059AE
woohoo!!! now let's see who shits the bed first doing this steering crap half blind lol
I’m in too! Great place for some group learning 🤙🏻

My grow is definitely a work in progress, I just got moisture meters halfway though this flowering cycle so I might not be able to contribute much until mid-late January

harmonics

harmonics

Harmonics
Supporter
I almost never start from seed honestly. And when I do I ALWAYS use rapid rooters. I don't sprout them first either, I just soak the seeds for about 12-16hrs in water then stick them in the rooter about 1/4" deep. But as BudGoodman mentioned with rooters you don't even need to presoak the seeds. I just do it out of habit.

If you're having trouble getting the seeds to root out fully, it could be your starters are too wet. Which is common with rockwool. Next time before planting the seed, give the wool starters a bit of a shake or place them on paper towels to remove some excess water.
I had this idea to remove the excess water from the Rockwool cubes after prepping and soaking them, what do you guys think?

1: Fully saturate all cubes with properly mixed starting solution

2: Stack the cubes one on top of another
(It naturally starts draining excess water from the top cube)

3: When the top cube feels properly drained move it to the transplanting area for the next stage
(I compared the weight to well shaken out cubes)
*Wait to transplant until every cube is properly drained!!

4: After the first half of the cubes are at the proper moisture level; repeat same process stacking cubes with the bottom row

5: Repeat steps 1-4 until you have one final soaked cube

6: Shake out your last cube, you are done!
(Time for transplanting)

I came up with this after shaking out 33 4” cubes, definitely saved my arms which were beat the whole next day anyway

740DCA58 C140 45DF AD5D CACF626E6BF4
4511A53F CB43 4875 B327 79F08491F2BA
6431CADD 9D75 4FC8 AF18 4740FF245F85
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I had this idea to remove the excess water from the Rockwool cubes after prepping and soaking them, what do you guys think?

1: Fully saturate all cubes with properly mixed starting solution

2: Stack the cubes one on top of another
(It naturally starts draining excess water from the top cube)

3: When the top cube feels properly drained move it to the transplanting area for the next stage
(I compared the weight to well shaken out cubes)
*Wait to transplant until every cube is properly drained!!

4: After the first half of the cubes are at the proper moisture level; repeat same process stacking cubes with the bottom row

5: Repeat steps 1-4 until you have one final soaked cube

6: Shake out your last cube, you are done!
(Time for transplanting)

I came up with this after shaking out 33 4” cubes, definitely saved my arms which were beat the whole next day anyway

Lol nice, that's a smart way to go. Getting the bulk of water out of those small blocks before transplanting into them is super helpful in getting them rooted quickly.
I will say though that is one of the reasons I like the 3" block on slab. I don't worry about getting the blocks dry, they're so small the clones root them out quick regardless how wet they are. Main thing is to plant a dryish clone into them.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
the regrowth on those girls is gonna be stupid. i don't even give it five days, three to four and without the photo evidence people wouldn't believe they were twigs. things are about to get super exciting in here. gotta stay cool like Fonzy 😎

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
the regrowth on those girls is gonna be stupid. i don't even give it five days, three to four and without the photo evidence people wouldn't believe they were twigs. things are about to get super exciting in here. gotta stay cool like Fonzy 😎
I'm curious to see how this unfolds. No doubt it'll be a jungle in no time.

It's such a bizarre technique and looks so wrong on so many levels. But the way I look at it is like this..;
I went from having 16 overgrown bushes that would have crowded each other out in no time, to having 260 some odd "clones", stuck onto the ends of the branches, and attached to massive root systems. Clones that will grow at warp speed and fill the room perfectly from here out, with no need to stress them out much further beyond this point for training.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Other than adjusting lights for a day or so, do you drop EC? Do you do a pk booster at flip?
Also, what did you notice between the volume and size of leaves stripped between the LED side of the tent?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Other than adjusting lights for a day or so, do you drop EC? Do you do a pk booster at flip?
Also, what did you notice between the volume and size of leaves stripped between the LED side of the tent?

I keep EC the same but I cut out a few waterings since they dry up the slab a bit slower for 2 or 3 days afterwards. But it's best to keep the nutrient pressure on the roots stable.
I do give them elevated P and Mag before the strip, for the last week I've been using 90% foliage pro and about 10% mag pro on top of that which has a lot of extra P. Only other steering trick I'll use is reducing the lights on temp by about 5 degrees F for the first few days-week after I flip, and also introducing about 30% bloom nutrients into the mix during the stretch also.

The leaves from both sides of the room were remarkably similar. Growth looks to really be about equal despite the MH plants being a hair bit stretchier. Everything looks very even and ppfd across the entire footprint sits between 800-850 atm. I tested intensity at every square foot just the other day. This, is easily the biggest improvement to the shed since the shed itself.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Ya looks great, lighting improvements this run have stepped your game up, which isn’t easy to do when your already atop the ladder😂

AMan is right tho, All that’s left is the C02 enhancement.🤠

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ya looks great, lighting improvements this run have stepped your game up, which isn’t easy to do when your already atop the ladder😂

AMan is right tho, All that’s left is the C02 enhancement.🤠
If I wasn't so cheap lol. My only hold back is the cost of a minisplit and proper controller. Plus my single ended lamps and 480w LED's are a bit on the low powered side for really pushing plants with Gas.
Who knows. Maybe next winter. See how this crop goes first.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
for real. if CO2 wasn't so damn expensive -- not necessarily the gas itself, it's cheap. it's the required accessories that make it pricey. just not worth the return on investment for smaller scale operations.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
for real. if CO2 wasn't so damn expensive -- not necessarily the gas itself, it's cheap. it's the required accessories that make it pricey. just not worth the return on investment for smaller scale operations.
If I was growing for sale production with a long term plan, I'd probably upgrade everything honestly. But for personal use, my space is already borderline overproductive for my uses. Not that you can ever really have too much weed. But I certainly don't need 25% more weed at the cost of increased expenses. I enjoy getting by with what I've got, with as few expense inputs as possible.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And pot stirred 😁 sorry @Dirtbag for some reason I get a twisted sense of joy from tossing that up everyone in a while and watching you re-explain it again.

One day we will see ya grow under co2... we already are witnessing LED so I'd say making some fam good progress so far.

Keep on killing it bro.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
And pot stirred 😁 sorry @Dirtbag for some reason I get a twisted sense of joy from tossing that up everyone in a while and watching you re-explain it again.

One day we will see ya grow under co2... we already are witnessing LED so I'd say making some fam good progress so far.

Keep on killing it bro.

If there is one constant variable with my grows, it's that I'm gonna change something, every damn time lol.

As the saying goes, repeating the same thing for 20 years isn't the same thing as 20 years of growing experience. Gotta try new things if you're goal is to learn. So I can see a place in my room someday for Co2. But, one thing at a time. I'll likely wait for it to happen organically rather than forcing it, the same as how the extra light came about. If I see a great deal on a minisplit or something.. maybe.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If there is one constant variable with my grows, it's that I'm gonna change something, every damn time lol.

As the saying goes, repeating the same thing for 20 years isn't the same thing as 20 years of growing experience. Gotta try new things if you're goal is to learn. So I can see a place in my room someday for Co2. But, one thing at a time. I'll likely wait for it to happen organically rather than forcing it, the same as how the extra light came about. If I see a great deal on a minisplit or something.. maybe.
Oh yeah ppls... he said YES 😁 persistence is the key never give up.

Lmao I love my big spoon. But in all seriousness that statement could not be more true.

Top Bottom