The current state of lighting.

• Thread starter Intense
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
campaste420

campaste420

I use mag ballasts,switchable 1k watt MH/HPS. It is well know what they do,you just have to figure out when and at what combination works best for you.Nobody has ever shown me anything that would want me to switch. JK
Yeah everyones just use to yielding alot from using 1000w. However a legit LED can yield about the same using half the energy at the wall as well as using very very little energy for temp control.

NagaKing

NagaKing

Yeah gravity will do that, lol..
But actually wavelength can be ‘changed via an optical frequency multiplier, or so I've read..
It is used all the time in laser technology…I’m not talking about energetically downstream changes like fluorescence, the green light in your pen laser started actually as red light.
Potassium dihydrogen phosphate is one crystal that is used as a frequency converter…pretty cool huh?

SexOG

SexOG

So in theory if a lamp was made of “glass” that had the right composition, you could convert some of the green yellow light into blue light?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Nasa spent 100 million developing a pen that would write upside down in zero gravity,The russians just used a pencil,lol.LEDs are the same story at this point,alot of money for low return in the grow game as of this time,just use a HPS for the best ROI.

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

So what’s the breakdown on HID lamps as of 2014? I’ve seen a decade of pseudoscience on the matter and I think results speak for themselves. I have used many of the brands of HPS and MH sold in retail stores. Different brands make different claims about spectrum and longevity, etc. From my understanding sodium emits strongly in the yellow, there’s no way around that. They can filter out those wavelengths, but not change them - for this you’d literally need to stretch space time with gravity. But MH lacks the intensity and is less efficient per watt. I’ve done experiments of various 1K MH brands vs. various 1K ups brands, and the same with 600s. Always get heavier yield from HPS, tighter nugs from MH. I’ve never noted any significant difference between brands when globes were the same age.
i think you summed it up, throw in a 1000w dual arc and watch all the benefits of both spectrums at the same time. tight nugs and healthy plants from start to finish.IMO i relate it to how you feed your plants, if you go to all the lengths to feed with a "balanced and complete" blend of N-P-K and trace elements, etc why would you only go for a specific spectrum like hps or mh when you could give em a full spectrum…. you know.. like the sun.

J

Jalisco Kid

Having an hps and a mh all the time is not equal to having higher percentages of one then change to a higher percentage of the other. JK

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

i think you summed it up, throw in a 1000w dual arc and watch all the benefits of both spectrums at the same time. tight nugs and healthy plants from start to finish.IMO i relate it to how you feed your plants, if you go to all the lengths to feed with a "balanced and complete" blend of N-P-K and trace elements, etc why would you only go for a specific spectrum like hps or mh when you could give em a full spectrum…. you know.. like the sun.
Yes and no... Veg and Bloom require different ratios of nutrition to achieve optimum results, much like lighting. Yes the plant will benefit from BOTH spectrum's but the RED tells the plant to flower as the BLUE tells the plant to veg, why confuse it?

As far as LED's go, the BEST I've personally seen (and tested) was LumiGrow Pro 325/650. These two fixtures have 3 adjustable knobs that allow you to PERSONALLY tune the different spectrum's of light (white, blue, red). The different LED companies will claim their fixture produces what a 600/1000 will, but that is just not true. The quality is through the ROOF! but the production still lacks.... I'm not going to lose hope though, they're allot more powerful then just a year ago.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Having an hps and a mh all the time is not equal to having higher percentages of one then change to a higher percentage of the other. JK

100% MH during veg
25% MH wks 1-5 flower
75% MH wks 6-8/9 flower on an 8/9 week strain.

I never messed with mixing MH with HPS during flower....does that look like something you would do?

T

toquer

What about intensity? Constant throughout or increase and then decrease?

audiohi

audiohi

I don't have any data to back it up... But I definitely feel like I see a difference when I finish the last two weeks with a MH/HPS combo. I've got a 6k high UV MH bulb currently which I'm going to replace with a 10k next rounds final weeks. They they look extra icy, but I guess I can't be completely sure if it's all in my head.

D

Dojoking

HPS lost the gram per watt battle in this LED vs HPS comparison.

Just pointing it out, since people seem to still be acting like led can't compete. I think it depends on what the growers environment and needs are as to whether they should use HID or LED. Small space? Large space? Hot? Cold? My point is they each have their own application and LED technology is advancing at a pretty fast pace and just might surpass HID in every way in the near future.

Last edited:
N

noone88

going by MSRP
Apache Tech AT600
$2,500

1 K ballast (Sunlight brand) + 1K HPS lumatek bulb
$327.90

It costs approximately $50-100/month to power and cool 1 bulb.

The cost of running an LED light and cooling? I'm guessing south of $20-50/month

It'll be a while once you break even.

monkeymun

monkeymun

going by MSRP
Apache Tech AT600
$2,500

1 K ballast (Sunlight brand) + 1K HPS lumatek bulb
$327.90

It costs approximately $50-100/month to power and cool 1 bulb.

The cost of running an LED light and cooling? I'm guessing south of $20-50/month

It'll be a while once you break even.

Not to mention the obvious differences in productivity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom