The ""Dialing OG's Strain in Soil"" Thread

• Thread starter TheCoolestMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome post Joe. Had this one saved as pdf in my computer. Didn't even realized it was from u lol

Will definitely have to read it back again. Have u ever used Ascophyllum Nodosum kelp?

true grit

true grit

My soil mix has to stay in house, but ive been running OGs last 2-3 rounds in a water only mix with teas...some OK results yield wise (pretty shitty on last one), but regardless the quality is still top notch. Last test run I think has it nailed.

Have to agree with MWD- use oyster shell flour for your cal source. Way more readily available without the bs that comes with dolomite. Ive also been playing with various levels of feather meal to help with slower release N to prevent late fade that happens if you don't have enough N source.

In soil with regular nutes I had great results using bio bizz, calplex, kelp, sea green and epsom salts a couple times for extra sulfur. And teas of course.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Exactly what happened when I grew the Tahoe in soil. @true grit @midwestdensies What are the problems with Dolomite? Seems like it is hard to get Oyster Shell meal here. What's rate when mixing in soil? Is this stuff slow release?

@true grit could u plz post sub's new recipe here bro

Last edited:
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Cool thread for the coolest kids.

Need a couple more runs to dial in my water only OG soil recipe. Running HAOG clone only now. Ill post my mix after this next run it should be pretty darn close.

You can see my first soil mix and first run with HAOG in my signature.

waayne

waayne

Good point for sure Sloth- Ive def found in soil if you overwater/let em sit in a heavy pot/bed- they dont like it!
I agree with true grit,my OG's do best in a airy soil mix,and they really hate being overwatered............

I always add extra perlite to my OG's soil mix ,so it's really airy and light, and I always hit them with some Cal-Mag and Epsoms salt .......
Most of the OG's in my flower room seem to like a little bit of extra N during flower,compared to most strains.........

sensicloud

sensicloud

^ I would say waayne is right on the money from my experience. The calcium is huge and that lack of oxygen will really hurt the yield. Airy mix and proper watering. A soil or supplement with a good source of silica and K will help the branch strength and structure for og's.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I am running Buddha Tahoe, several White fire cuts, Scott's OG, and some other kinda-finicky cuts. I have found that VermiSoil and VermiFire are the best soil-based mediums I have tried. I usually put the hot stuff on the bottom, a la SubCool, and I have found that AgeOld Dry Fruit is a quick substitute for rounding up all those amendments, without a huge difference. I still "cook" the soil I mix it in for about 30 days. Adding AO Root Rally really kicks it in. I feel that most OG cuts love their calcium and magnesium and are very particular about nitrogen. The Dry Fruit is 2-10-20, so it doesn't produce the nitrogen claw in finicky strains like some dry fertilizers. Another shortcut booster I use for OGs is the Roots Uprising Foundation. It provides a nice mineral boost.
GO EASY on the kelp. With all its auxins and cytokinins, it can cause your OG to uptake a little too much; biting off more than it can chew, if you will. I try to supplement just enough kelp to provide trace nutrients.
Hope this helps.

surfguitar

surfguitar

I've seen a lot of people kill it with og's in organic soil. I'm running white s1's in organic soil that kinda have similar traits to the og's I've grown and they love it. Gonna be blowing up 2 2k rooms with wifi from ograskal in this mix in a month so we'll see.

I really got give it to the guys at kisorganics, I was gonna make my own soil mix but after pricing it out there pre mixed nutrient pack is about the same price as buying all the amendments and I've had awesome success with it so I'm going with all that. Especially good if you're having trouble sourcing stuff like osf. Email tad if you need large amounts and he will hook you up!

symbiote420

symbiote420

I've been using Crazy Composer's KISS organic method he uses for growing the SFV ......Light: 1k ......Pot size: 3 gallons ......Medium: 4pts ProMix/1pt castings ......Fed: top dressed weekly/biweekly with 1 tbsp 13-12-2 Seabird Guano only. Getting 3.5 to 4.5 zips per of Motorbreath with it ....and I was in the middle of a root aphids attack myself lol

I'm running SFV now and though the treatment I used to finally kill off/knock down those bastards has left my plants looking a little lackluster on the leaves I can see she's gonna yield nicely for me still using this method!!

*Oh and I've been adding D.E. (silica) to my soils too for the past couple of months due to having the RAs ......I've noticed denser stalks & branches since doing this!!

symbiote420

symbiote420

Symbiote420 how tall are u vegging those Motorbreaths?

Anywhere from 15" to 24" .....they top out around 3' to 4'

I have a Motorbreath that's 3' tall and 4' wide in a 3 gallon pot and I've been watering her 1x - 2x a day plus topdreessing her weekly with 13 - 12 - 2 seabird guano and Progress Earth's Earth Syrup tea ......this is my 4th run of the Motor since I got her and the 1st (knock on wood) time that the root aphids are up off her, seems she's dialing in pretty good too cause these are the biggest my nugs have been on her around the 40 day mark since I've been growing the cut!

Top Bottom