The first grow of Ferritus

• Thread starter Ferritus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ferritus

Ferritus

Hello!

Woke up this morning and saw that my seeds have sprouted enough to plant them, so did that today and have attached photos. I also thought this would be a good time to describe my set up.
The first grow of ferritus

I have been wanting to grow cannabis for years now, and circumstances have now allowed for that to happen. But realising I could grow cannabis...also made me realise I don't know anything about growing cannabis. Didn't know if I was going to go hydro or "soil". Didn't know what sort of seeds were "the best ones". In. the process of researching, I came across this site, and it was extremely helpful to me in making some decisions around my grow.

I noticed that the majority of people here seem to think that while hydroponics can produce more, it lacks the flavour and quality of cannabis grown in soil. That choice was made easily, thanks to the people here, so thank you.

Researching equipment was less clear cut. I have zero experience with lights or ventilating things, and the opinions and costs seemed to vary a lot, regardless of where I was looking. It did help me determine what my needs would be from my equipment.

1) Something that can fit into a small space. I do not have a whole basement, or even a whole room, to dedicate to this.
2) Something that will minimise the smell, so I don't alert the neighbour-rinos.
3) Portable.
4) Something my unsure-about-the-fundamentals-of-electronics-and-lighting-ass would understand.
5) Something I don't have to. babysit 24/7, because I work all sorts of funny hours.
6) Something that won't make my Hydro bill go ape s&^%.

I ended up purchasing a grow box. It met my requirements for security, space, and convenience. It's a metal box with a built-in air filter and interior fan, controlled by 2 orange switches on the front of the unit. There is a timer next to those 2 orange switches that controls. the light panel. At this time, I haven't programmed it, because I'm waiting for the seeds to break through the soil.There is also a switch on the back of the unit, the on switch. It also has a cable to plug it into the wall.

The first grow of ferritus 12

The first grow of ferritus 11

The first grow of ferritus 7

The light panel is, according to the 50 page PDF grow guide that also came with it, a "Custom designed quantum board using Samsung Top Bin LM301b LED’s, currently the most efficient mid-powered diode. Using only 100 Watts and generating minimum heat this light produces 235 PPF. This light has the power to fully penetrate the canopy with diffused light and keeps vegetative growth healthy. Full light spectrum means maximum resin production on your buds....The light features a 3000k spectrum that is ideal for flowering plants."

The first grow of ferritus 9

Also included was a humidity gauge, spray bottle,seedling pots/grow dome, fabric pots, living soil, power bloom nutrients, clippers, and a funky green watering can. It also has a key to lock. the box.

The first grow of ferritus 2
The first grow of ferritus 3

The first grow of ferritus 4

The first grow of ferritus 5
The first grow of ferritus 6

It also came with a free 5-pack of seeds from Crop King seeds. I was given a list of strains to pick from. I chose a White Widow feminized autoflower. I had the option of selecting from feminized and regular seeds as well. I was a bit intimidated by growing with regular seeds, specifically separating the males from the females and the possibility of the females being pollenated. The goal for now is to just get a grow under my belt and build the confidence, and the auto flower seemed the best way to accomplish that.

Lastly, in addition to the 50 page PDF (which has lots of pictures, and is written in a way that is simple to understand but still technical), it also comes with access to someone they call "The grow master", which is someone I can contact if I have any questions.

I am very interested in comparing and contrasting the information I receive from them with information I find here.

I mentioned this in my intro, but one day I would like to create my own strain. For now, baby steps.

The first grow of ferritus 8
The first grow of ferritus 10

FourthCity

FourthCity

Hello!

Woke up this morning and saw that my seeds have sprouted enough to plant them, so did that today and have attached photos. I also thought this would be a good time to describe my set up.
View attachment 986453

I have been wanting to grow cannabis for years now, and circumstances have now allowed for that to happen. But realising I could grow cannabis...also made me realise I don't know anything about growing cannabis. Didn't know if I was going to go hydro or "soil". Didn't know what sort of seeds were "the best ones". In. the process of researching, I came across this site, and it was extremely helpful to me in making some decisions around my grow.

I noticed that the majority of people here seem to think that while hydroponics can produce more, it lacks the flavour and quality of cannabis grown in soil. That choice was made easily, thanks to the people here, so thank you.

Researching equipment was less clear cut. I have zero experience with lights or ventilating things, and the opinions and costs seemed to vary a lot, regardless of where I was looking. It did help me determine what my needs would be from my equipment.

1) Something that can fit into a small space. I do not have a whole basement, or even a whole room, to dedicate to this.
2) Something that will minimise the smell, so I don't alert the neighbour-rinos.
3) Portable.
4) Something my unsure-about-the-fundamentals-of-electronics-and-lighting-ass would understand.
5) Something I don't have to. babysit 24/7, because I work all sorts of funny hours.

I ended up purchasing a grow box. It met my requirements for security, space, and convenience. It's a metal box with a built-in air filter and interior fan, controlled by 2 orange switches on the front of the unit. There is a timer next to those 2 orange switches that controls. the light panel. At this time, I haven't programmed it, because I'm waiting for the seeds to break through the soil.There is also a switch on the back of the unit, the on switch. It also has a cable to plug it into the wall.

View attachment 986465

View attachment 986464

View attachment 986460
The light panel is, according to the 50 page PDF grow guide that also came with it, a "Custom designed quantum board using Samsung Top Bin LM301b LED’s, currently the most efficient mid-powered diode. Using only 100 Watts and generating minimum heat this light produces 235 PPF. This light has the power to fully penetrate the canopy with diffused light and keeps vegetative growth healthy. Full light spectrum means maximum resin production on your buds....The light features a 3000k spectrum that is ideal for flowering plants."

View attachment 986462

Also included was a humidity gauge, spray bottle,seedling pots/grow dome, fabric pots, living soil, power bloom nutrients, clippers, and a funky green watering can. It also has a key to lock. the box.

View attachment 986454View attachment 986455

View attachment 986456

View attachment 986457View attachment 986458

It also came with a free 5-pack of seeds from Crop King seeds. I was given a list of strains to pick from. I chose a White Widow feminized autoflower. I had the option of selecting from feminized and regular seeds as well. I was a bit intimidated by growing with regular seeds, specifically separating the males from the females and the possibility of the females being pollenated. The goal for now is to just get a grow under my belt and build the confidence, and the auto flower seemed the best way to accomplish that.

Lastly, in addition to the 50 page PDF (which has lots of pictures, and is written in a way that is simple to understand but still technical), it also comes with access to someone they call "The grow master", which is someone I can contact if I have any questions.

I am very interested in comparing and contrasting the information I receive from them with information I find here.

I mentioned this in my intro, but one day I would like to create my own strain. For now, baby steps.

View attachment 986461View attachment 986463
Maybe I missed it but where are the plants going to go when they get bigger?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello!

View attachment 986453

3) Portable.

View attachment 986465

View attachment 986464

View attachment 986460

View attachment 986462

View attachment 986454View attachment 986455

View attachment 986456

View attachment 986457View attachment 986458

View attachment 986461View attachment 986463
Welcome! don't leave the Dome on too long, just couple days max once they come above ground, good luck!

Ferritus

Ferritus

Welcome! don't leave the Dome on too long, just couple days max once they come above ground, good luck!
Thanks. I'm obsessing a bit about the dome, because I don't want to cause dampening off or make it too moist.
Maybe I missed it but where are the plants going to go when they get bigger?
They came with 4 fabric pots, and when they become full on seedlings, they will be transplanted into the pots and grown in the box.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Thanks. I'm obsessing a bit about the dome, because I don't want to cause dampening off or make it too moist.

They came with 4 fabric pots, and when they become full on seedlings, they will be transplanted into the pots and grown in the box.
I meant when they are too big for the box...
Photoperiod feminized seeds would probably work better for you compared to autos. With photos you can put them into flower right away and keep them small, with autos you have no control over when they flower which makes it difficult to limit their size. It will be a tight fit just for one full grown auto in that box and you will probably have to intervene to keep it from hitting the light.

Ferritus

Ferritus

I meant when they are too big for the box...
Photoperiod feminized seeds would probably work better for you compared to autos. With photos you can put them into flower right away and keep them small, with autos you have no control over when they flower which makes it difficult to limit their size. It will be a tight fit just for one full grown auto in that box and you will probably have to intervene to keep it from hitting the light.
The whole idea is that I can grow in the box from start to finish. It's taller and larger than it looks. Dimensions are 20"x20"x36"
As for photos over auto..well its too late now lol we are already in progress. Maybe next time.

FourthCity

FourthCity

The whole idea is that I can grow in the box from start to finish. It's taller and larger than it looks. Dimensions are 20"x20"x36"
As for photos over auto..well its too late now lol we are already in progress. Maybe next time.
That is smaller than I thought, I figured at least 2'x2'x4'. You really need to get a gameplan, with only 36" minus the height of the fabric pots you will not be able to get this done letting your plants grow unchecked let alone trying to grow all of them. Look through some of the pictures of finished plants on here and try to find some less than 2.5 ft tall, they are few and far between. I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving you a heads up.

Ferritus

Ferritus

I wouldn't put more than 1 plant in there TBH and you will likely need to train it at that
That is smaller than I thought, I figured at least 2'x2'x4'. You really need to get a gameplan, with only 36" minus the height of the fabric pots you will not be able to get this done letting your plants grow unchecked let alone trying to grow all of them. Look through some of the pictures of finished plants on here and try to find some less than 2.5 ft tall, they are few and far between. I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving you a heads up.
Nah dudes, it's really nice of you to pass your knowledge down and tell me what your thoughts are. It's why I'm here!! I'm thrilled anyone even responded to this haha.

PDF came with a set of instructions on training the plants and info specific to growing in a small enviornment. There's information/directions given to me about topping, training, tucking, light stress and bending, as well as how to set up a SCROG (If you look at the inside of the box there's little metal loops where I can tie the SCROG when the time comes) and when to switch to flower.

As for not being able to grow 4 in a box....To be determined? I certainly do not want to be disrespectful to people who have more experience in this than I do, and I'm definitely taking on board what has been said. I have seen others in possession of the same box who have successfully grown 4 plants in it. I'm also not looking to grow a crazy amount-just enough so my spouse and I can get high, and maybe I give some away at Christmas kinda thing.

Worst case scenario: Box comes with a guarantee. So if I follow their instructions and I don't get anything, I can send it back for a full refund and perhaps try some other arrangement.

I really appreciate you guys giving me your thoughts, especially as they relate to training, and if you have anymore I would love to hear it.

Cheers!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nah dudes, it's really nice of you to pass your knowledge down and tell me what your thoughts are. It's why I'm here!! I'm thrilled anyone even responded to this haha.

PDF came with a set of instructions on training the plants and info specific to growing in a small enviornment. There's information/directions given to me about topping, training, tucking, light stress and bending, as well as how to set up a SCROG (If you look at the inside of the box there's little metal loops where I can tie the SCROG when the time comes) and when to switch to flower.

As for not being able to grow 4 in a box....To be determined? I certainly do not want to be disrespectful to people who have more experience in this than I do, and I'm definitely taking on board what has been said. I have seen others in possession of the same box who have successfully grown 4 plants in it. I'm also not looking to grow a crazy amount-just enough so my spouse and I can get high, and maybe I give some away at Christmas kinda thing.

Worst case scenario: Box comes with a guarantee. So if I follow their instructions and I don't get anything, I can send it back for a full refund and perhaps try some other arrangement.

I really appreciate you guys giving me your thoughts, especially as they relate to training, and if you have anymore I would love to hear it.

Cheers!
Nothing wrong with learning the hard way 👍. I do it all the time and you should always question advice given.

I have never grown autos but I feel like they are gonna get quite a bit to big for 4. IMO if you want to do 4 go with clones and flip when still small. A rough guide would be flip when doubling the height and width of each plant would fill the box.

Best of luck and tbh when they get a bit to big just toss your least favorite to make proper space for the others. Better to kill some than create conditions that will kill them all.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Nothing wrong with learning the hard way 👍. I do it all the time and you should always question advice given.

I have never grown autos but I feel like they are gonna get quite a bit to big for 4. IMO if you want to do 4 go with clones and flip when still small. A rough guide would be flip when doubling the height and width of each plant would fill the box.

Best of luck and tbh when they get a bit to big just toss your least favorite to make proper space for the others. Better to kill some than create conditions that will kill them all.
Thank you I'll keep that in mind.

When I was researching, the impression I got was that an auto flower was the way to go for a newbie. I was quite worried reading about regular seeds and accidentally pollinating them, but depending on how well this goes, I may do that next time. I'm hoping my next grow will be a God bud or a Romulan (My faves!) but that's much further in the future.

Sadly, clones are not an option at this time. I just moved to where I am somewhat recently, and it's pretty rural (Ok it's super rural. I may as well live in Siberia). If I was still in my city, I would definitely have started with clones. I know there's lots of growers out here, I just haven't found them..yet.

Glancing over the PDF.... they also recommend flipping at about double the height and width.

The retailer has also recommended NOT growing salivas in the box because of how tall they get. Personally, I'm ok with that, because sativa doesn't agree with me at all. For anyone who really likes sativa, this would probably not be a great set up for them.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you I'll keep that in mind.

When I was researching, the impression I got was that an auto flower was the way to go for a newbie. I was quite worried reading about regular seeds and accidentally pollinating them, but depending on how well this goes, I may do that next time. I'm hoping my next grow will be a God bud or a Romulan (My faves!) but that's much further in the future.

Sadly, clones are not an option at this time. I just moved to where I am somewhat recently, and it's pretty rural (Ok it's super rural. I may as well live in Siberia). If I was still in my city, I would definitely have started with clones. I know there's lots of growers out here, I just haven't found them..yet.

Glancing over the PDF.... they also recommend flipping at about double the height and width.

The retailer has also recommended NOT growing salivas in the box because of how tall they get. Personally, I'm ok with that, because sativa doesn't agree with me at all. For anyone who really likes sativa, this would probably not be a great set up for them.
If you go with photoperiod plants you can buy feminized seeds. They take 3-5 weeks to mature before they will start to flower but one solution is start one feminized seed then when it matures. Clone it and do a sea of green grow in that little box I think that's going to get you the most yield out of that box. You would probably be surprised how much you could pull outs there like that. You could start another seed about a month after flip and just grow it under a small led. Then when you harvest cut clones from the seed and repeat. Literally 2-2.5 months per harvest like that and maximum yields for the space

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I'll tell you exactly what I would do with that small box friend, utilizing a simple Hydroponic set-up, I could probably fit 18 5×5" squate pots in a tray in there

I would start flowering them almost immediately, like 6" tall, it's called 'sea of green' method and that would be the method I would utilize in that size space for maximum yield in minimum space

growing 18 or so short, half ounce+ single colas per run is a lot of weed from a small area, & that's my old style of growing so I guarantee you it can be done, if you're interested just ask, good luck!

Last edited:
Ferritus

Ferritus

I'll tell you exactly what I would do with that small box friend, utilizing a simple Hydroponic set-up, I could probably fit 18 5×5" squate pots in a tray in there

I would start flowering them almost immediately, like 6" tall, it's called 'sea of green' method and that would be the method I would utilize in that size space for maximum yield in minimum space

growing 18 or so short, half ounce+ single colas per run is a lot of weed from a small area, & that's my old style of growing so I guarantee you it can be done, if you're interested just ask, good luck!

Thank you!
The methods recommended in the PDF do mention SCROG, and in fact there's little metal loops where I can tie wire or string to accomplish this. There's also a section about topping plants. I've looked into both of these, but of course I'm still learning and haven't actually done it yet. They're still sprouting right now (4/5 of them has broken through the soil this morning, boo-yah).

Have you grown in soil before? I ended up choosing soil over a hydro set up, but I'm curious as to what your experience is growing hydro in a small space.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you!
The methods recommended in the PDF do mention SCROG, and in fact there's little metal loops where I can tie wire or string to accomplish this. There's also a section about topping plants. I've looked into both of these, but of course I'm still learning and haven't actually done it yet. They're still sprouting right now (4/5 of them has broken through the soil this morning, boo-yah).

Have you grown in soil before? I ended up choosing soil over a hydro set up, but I'm curious as to what your experience is growing hydro in a small space.
SOG sea of green would be much better suited I agree with @Beachwalker

FourthCity

FourthCity

No one is saying you wont get anything, quite the opposite, you will likely be getting more than you bargained for. Id recommend getting feminized photoperiod seeds with some Bubba Kush genetics as they have always been the most compact plants I have grown, others here will hopefully have some good small plant suggestions too. Strain selection will be especially important in your space, even most full indicas would blow out that box.

Ferritus

Ferritus

others here will hopefully have some good small plant suggestions too. Strain selection will be especially important in your space

I will keep your Bubba Kush recommendation in mind on my next grow- any other recommendations for indica's that grow a bit more on the stout side?

Ferritus

Ferritus

If you go with photoperiod plants you can buy feminized seeds. They take 3-5 weeks to mature before they will start to flower but one solution is start one feminized seed then when it matures. Clone it and do a sea of green grow in that little box I think that's going to get you the most yield out of that box. You would probably be surprised how much you could pull outs there like that. You could start another seed about a month after flip and just grow it under a small led. Then when you harvest cut clones from the seed and repeat. Literally 2-2.5 months per harvest like that and maximum yields for the space

Cloning I'm a bit less familiar with, I have a general idea.

Could I make clones from the plants I have already sprouted? The box holds a max of 4 plants, but I sprouted all 5 seeds, so I will have one left over.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cloning I'm a bit less familiar with, I have a general idea.

Could I make clones from the plants I have already sprouted? The box holds a max of 4 plants, but I sprouted all 5 seeds, so I will have one left over.
Not from autos... Well you could but it's not ideal... Maybe in this case though... That's a great question under your circumstances. I have to head out for a bit but will pop back in after.

Top Bottom