The first grow of Ferritus

• Thread starter Ferritus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ferritus

Ferritus

I c. Not sure why you’d chop an auto like that, they tend to be on the smaller side as is. Cloning yourself is a great idea for a perpetual style grow. Going to give cloning a try myself next grow. Good luck and happy grows.
*edited
Didn’t know you were growing autos. Sorry bud.

I'm growing in a really small space. Dimensions are 20"x20"x36". I'm working out what I need in order to house a mother plant and keep going like that.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I'm growing in a really small space. Dimensions are 20"x20"x36". I'm working out what I need in order to house a mother plant and keep going like that.
I’ve got no experience housing mother plants but I hope to learn some stuff. Please keep us posted.

FourthCity

FourthCity

If you are short on space but want to do a perpetual grow then a 3x3 tent would be the ideal addition. You would continue to use the cabinet as a veg space, it would be just big enough to have a small mother plant and get a few clones going while the 3x3 would be the flower tent. As soon as the clones get big enough you would move them to the flower tent where they would stay until they are finished.

This is what I would get:
3x3 Tent
https://www.amazon.com/CoolGrows-Hydroponic-Window-Indoor-Growing/dp/B06XF4HHXW
Inline Fan with Temp and RH Control
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOUDLINE-T6-Temperature/dp/B074XBXFPD
Led Light
One of these would be fine to start but running two of them dimmed would be even better
This would be a good budget light option, would only need one

You should be able to get another tent setup for around $600 and it would be well worth it in increased production.

Ferritus

Ferritus

If you are short on space but want to do a perpetual grow then a 3x3 tent would be the ideal addition. You would continue to use the cabinet as a veg space, it would be just big enough to have a small mother plant and get a few clones going while the 3x3 would be the flower tent. As soon as the clones get big enough you would move them to the flower tent where they would stay until they are finished.

This is what I would get:
3x3 Tent
https://www.amazon.com/CoolGrows-Hydroponic-Window-Indoor-Growing/dp/B06XF4HHXW
Inline Fan with Temp and RH Control
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-CLOUDLINE-T6-Temperature/dp/B074XBXFPD
Led Light
One of these would be fine to start but running two of them dimmed would be even better
This would be a good budget light option, would only need one

You should be able to get another tent setup for around $600 and it would be well worth it in increased production.

A 3x3 tent would be a possibility for my space (the spare room/office ). I'm going to show my spouse the options you have recommended and we will discuss it further. I really appreciate the links.

In regards to the lighting: You said either one panel, or two of them but dimmed. Why would 2 dimmed panels be the better or more preferable option?

In regards to set up: Ok mother plant and clones in the fabric tent, and cabinet for veg...but then move them back to fabric tent when they flower. Is that because they "stretch" when they go into flower and if they're in the tent then I don't have to worry so much about the height and I could do less/ no topping?....Follow-up question: If I flower my plants in the same fabric tent that the mother plant lives in, won't that cause the mother plant to flower too? I'm still reading on mother plants, but I think the goal is to keep it in veg?

I had imagined the mother plant and clones in the fabric tent, and then doing veg and flowering in the cabinet. It did not even occur to me to arrange it the way you have suggested. Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
I would put trellis on the complete interior of the box and top them @ the 3rd node and weave them up the sides with only ONE maybe two plant with a 100w cfl for veg hung vert centered in the box and maybe 1->2->3 100w cfls for flower also hung vert. Only way i could see that working. Would be a cool project :)

Ferritus

Ferritus

I would put trellis on the complete interior of the box and top them @ the 3rd node and weave them up the sides with only ONE maybe two plant with a 100w cfl for veg hung vert centered in the box and maybe 1->2->3 100w cfls for flower also hung vert. Only way i could see that working. Would be a cool project :)
Ok...lots of questions here:

1. Is trellis the same thing as a SCROG?
2. I did top them at the 3rd node.
3.100w cfl....what?
4. 1->2->3 100w cfls...also what?
5. Did you read anything posted prior ITT?

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
Ok...lots of questions here:

1. Is trellis the same thing as a SCROG?
2. I did top them at the 3rd node.
3.100w cfl....what?
4. 1->2->3 100w cfls...also what?
1. I mean hang trellis floor to ceiling on all sides of the box so you can weave all of the growth points into it and spread them out for maximum coverage.
2. Good
3. 100 (Actual watts not comparative) compact fluorescent. You can get them for 14 dollars from home depot.
4. I mean you can hang 1 early flower 2 mid/late early flower and 3 later flower. It might have some heat issues , so that would need a bit of messing with. I mean hang the bulb from the top hanging down.

FourthCity

FourthCity

A 3x3 tent would be a possibility for my space (the spare room/office ). I'm going to show my spouse the options you have recommended and we will discuss it further. I really appreciate the links.

In regards to the lighting: You said either one panel, or two of them but dimmed. Why would 2 dimmed panels be the better or more preferable option?

More panels will provide better coverage, dimming the panels will reduce heat, extend their lifespan, and increase their efficiency. The problem with most lights that fall into the sweet spot of wattage for a 3x3 tent is that they are really designed for a 4x2 space. A light designed for a 4x4 or two lights designed for 4x2 will work great in a 3x3, you will get excellent coverage and you will never have to run them at max power. You can get by with just one of the hlg lights to start but you will have to be running at higher power than if you had two of them or one of the kingbrite lights I suggested.

In regards to set up: Ok mother plant and clones in the fabric tent, and cabinet for veg...but then move them back to fabric tent when they flower. Is that because they "stretch" when they go into flower and if they're in the tent then I don't have to worry so much about the height and I could do less/ no topping?....Follow-up question: If I flower my plants in the same fabric tent that the mother plant lives in, won't that cause the mother plant to flower too? I'm still reading on mother plants, but I think the goal is to keep it in veg?

I had imagined the mother plant and clones in the fabric tent, and then doing veg and flowering in the cabinet. It did not even occur to me to arrange it the way you have suggested. Looking forward to hearing back from you!

No, Im saying keep the mother and clones in the box which would be veg only, 18/6 light cycle. When clones get big enough to flower they would then be moved to the tent which would stay flower only, 12/12 light cycle. The plants would move one way, box to tent. I dont recommend topping in general but as I said before it cant really hurt in you current situation. If you add the tent to the setup I would suggest growing small plants without topping, maybe some light lst once you are more familiar with the strains you are growing and how they will fill out your space as they age.

The box already has a light, why are you recommending the cfls? This also sounds like it would make it too difficult to water or move the plants when needed.

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
More panels will provide better coverage, dimming the panels will reduce heat, extend their lifespan, and increase their efficiency. The problem with most lights that fall into the sweet spot of wattage for a 3x3 tent is that they are really designed for a 4x2 space. A light designed for a 4x4 or two lights designed for 4x2 will work great in a 3x3, you will get excellent coverage and you will never have to run them at max power. You can get by with just one of the hlg lights to start but you will have to be running at higher power than if you had two of them or one of the kingbrite lights I suggested.

No, Im saying keep the mother and clones in the box which would be veg only, 18/6 light cycle. When clones get big enough to flower they would then be moved to the tent which would stay flower only, 12/12 light cycle. The plants would move one way, box to tent. I dont recommend topping in general but as I said before it cant really hurt in you current situation. If you add the tent to the setup I would suggest growing small plants without topping, maybe some light lst once you are more familiar with the strains you are growing and how they will fill out your space as they age.

The box already has a light, why are you recommending the cfls? This also sounds like it would make it too difficult to water or move the plants when needed.
If i were to maximize the space in the box from seed->harvest is what i was saying :) not saying anything about the lights/setup.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Ah ok, I understand what you're saying. As far as strains go, I've still got my heart set on a God Bud in the future as my mother plant. I read it tends to grow more on the short side, which is important with my set up. I know there were other recommendations but man I love God Bud. I was also considering Romulan, but I haven't had as much luck finding information about how it grows and what to expect growing that strain. Seeds are also harder to come by with that strain. Perhaps another time.

As for the other guy talking about cfls...pretty sure that individual has not read the whole thread.

Thank you again for your input, it's been very helpful and enlightening.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Romulan is sort of picky and kind of a medium plant. Doesnt go crazy. For that cab Bubba and crosses are a good choice. God Bud is another good choice. Both solid choices on your part.
If you don't mind my asking, what exactly do you mean about Romulan being "picky"? I've had a difficult time finding any kind of info on it.

Ferritus

Ferritus

You really dont have the space to be messing with non feminized seeds imo.
Because I would need to have more seedlings and then separate the males from the females?

Yeah, sober me was thinking about that this morning. Baked me was just so excited 😂

Ferritus

Ferritus

Did some more work with the plants today.

I have made an attempt at LST, using the instructions and pictures provided in the PDF. I used those little plastic covered wire garbage ties that nobody actually uses.
IMG 0708

I was doing my best to tie somewhat loosely, but I broke 1 fan leaf off of another plant :/
After this photo was taken, I went back in and tied a few more leaves back to expose nodes.

IMG 0713

I also set up a SCROG net in the box. It's just string.

Programmed the timer from 18/6 to 12/12.

Tomorrow or the day after, I will add the Powerbloom. The PDF says that in the flowering stage, cannabis needs more phosphorus and potassium, with a lesser focus on nitrogen. It also says that cannabis is a "heavy feeder" and " could use a boost of nutrients to maximize its growth potential."- but that it also wasn't essential and that the living soil had everything the plants need to complete their grow.

IMG 0410

"To provide this boost we recommend using Gaia Greens Power Bloom as a top dress at the beginning of flowering. Because it is made up of dry organic ingredients it will break down and deliver nutrients to the soil gradually. This prevents having your plants experience any sort of toxicity which can be detrimental during flowering. Try adding two tablespoons to each two gallon pot and gently work it into the top soil. Water to incorporate. You can experiment with how much you use and how frequently, but this is a good baseline."

I looked into topping auto flower plants, and I realise now it's something of a contentious issue. I did not realise that when I did it, I was just doing what the instructions told me to.Some people say "oh it's fine because you get increased yields with more colas." and then other people say "They grow so fast and the recovery time means smaller yields".

I have no other grow to compare/contrast with, so I guess this is a question that will be answered further down the line as I get more grows under my belt.

I think my yield is still going to be decent. White Widow seems to be a pretty hearty plant.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Did some more work with the plants today.

I have made an attempt at LST, using the instructions and pictures provided in the PDF. I used those little plastic covered wire garbage ties that nobody actually uses.View attachment 997793
Undo this. You dont want to tie down your leaves, the point of lst is to spread the tops of the plant evenly and create a level canopy. By doing this all of the tops receive equal amount of light which allows you to grow a shorter, bushier, generally higher yielding plant.
While my example wouldnt even fit in your cabinet it should it least give you the right idea of how to tie it as it grows:

42 2

84-4-jpg.937337

84-7-jpg.937336

77-3-jpg.934804

Now you want to do this on a much smaller scale, I only use the pics of this plant because its large size and lower defoliation show the lst very well.

Ferritus

Ferritus

Undo this. You dont want to tie down your leaves, the point of lst is to spread the tops of the plant evenly and create a level canopy. By doing this all of the tops receive equal amount of light which allows you to grow a shorter, bushier, generally higher yielding plant.
While my example wouldnt even fit in your cabinet it should it least give you the right idea of how to tie it as it grows:
View attachment 997812
View attachment 997810
84-4-jpg.937337

84-7-jpg.937336

77-3-jpg.934804

Now you want to do this on a much smaller scale, I only use the pics of this plant because its large size and lower defoliation show the lst very well.

Wowwww I got that wrong, I got that way wrong.

Thank you for these photos, that makes it much, much more clear and you've probably just saved my plants from doom.

There was a photo in the PDF that I was using a reference guide, and seeing your photos has made me realise that I was looking at the photo completely wrong.

Going to untie my plants now!

Top Bottom