The first grow of Ferritus

• Thread starter Ferritus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I just saw this post by @BamaBushes32 in the frostiest flowers thread (https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/lets-see-your-frostiest-flowers.58222/page-400) and thought it would be perfect for your box:
a0ed99ae-98bc-4ff4-b0c6-1ff44b58bc82-jpeg.986837

If they dont see this and chime in maybe send a pm, if you can duplicate their technique it would solve a lot of your problems (still need photo seeds though, autos wont work this way)
Yup shit ton of clones flipped into flower SOG style would get some good yields. Kinda what I was saying with the fem photos. Start a seed cut all clones and flower as soon as they root. Then a month later start a seed and by the time the first grow finishes you have a plant to cut clones and repeat. 1 seed at a time. Like 2-2.5months a harvest depending on strain. That's a lot of weed you can pull outs that little box. Like I said I think he would be surprised.

Ferritus

Ferritus

I just saw this post by @BamaBushes32 in the frostiest flowers thread (https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/lets-see-your-frostiest-flowers.58222/page-400) and thought it would be perfect for your box:
a0ed99ae-98bc-4ff4-b0c6-1ff44b58bc82-jpeg.986837

If they dont see this and chime in maybe send a pm, if you can duplicate their technique it would solve a lot of your problems (still need photo seeds though, autos wont work this way)
I'm drooling just looking at it lol. Gonna head over to their page and have a gander, thank you for this!

Ferritus

Ferritus

Yup shit ton of clones flipped into flower SOG style would get some good yields. Kinda what I was saying with the fem photos. Start a seed cut all clones and flower as soon as they root. Then a month later start a seed and by the time the first grow finishes you have a plant to cut clones and repeat. 1 seed at a time. Like 2-2.5months a harvest depending on strain. That's a lot of weed you can pull outs that little box. Like I said I think he would be surprised.
Yeah I'm thinking once this grow is finished, I'll get some new fem photo seeds and do as you have suggested.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looking good. Be careful of light intensity, they need very little at this point or they will bleach and stunt

Ferritus

Ferritus

Looking good. Be careful of light intensity, they need very little at this point or they will bleach and stunt
I'm thinking today to put them on 18/6 and then transplant them into the larger pots maybe Monday?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm thinking today to put them on 18/6 and then transplant them into the larger pots maybe Monday?
Yeah 18/6 is good. The only thing that changes is you need less light intensity for 24hrs and I think you make be just a touch to much light. If you switch to 18/6 it would be good IMO.

I would give another 5-7 days before transplant let the roots fill in a bit

Ferritus

Ferritus

Yeah 18/6 is good. The only thing that changes is you need less light intensity for 24hrs and I think you make be just a touch to much light. If you switch to 18/6 it would be good IMO.

I would give another 5-7 days before transplant let the roots fill in a bit
Awesome, thanks for the advice, going to do that now!

Ferritus

Ferritus

UPDATE

Transplanted the seedlings last night into the fabric pots.I believe they're 8 litres (I *think* that's about 2 gallons?).

IMG 0560

IMG 0561

I have learned my first lesson: I should have moistened the soil in the starter pots before I transplanted them to the cloth pots. When I took the first one out, the soil (I know technically it's not "soil", but you get it) crumbled away and the root system unfurled itself. It was surprisingly long, and looked like a spinal cord with all the nerves. To be perfectly honest, it was awe inspiring, and I spent a minute just looking at it and thinking about how incredible it is that a plant can create this whole elaborate and lengthy root system in such a short amount of time.

I made sure the soil was more moist when I removed the other 3.

IMG 0562

I ended up dabbing some water droplets off the leaves. There's a bit of a knack to the funky green watering can, it turns out.

I have left the 5th seedling in the grow tray, and it is currently sitting perched in the middle where the 4 pots meet. After I transplanted them, I put a playlist on and let them have some relaxing tunes for 45 minutes.

I'm giving it a day or 2 to see how the seedlings respond to being transplanted. I think they're all going to be fine. If they are, it does leave me with an extra seedling, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking about letting the remaining seedling grow outside on the deck, just to watch it and see what happens. I am also open to suggestions for what could be done with it. I like experiments.

I also have a few other thoughts I am mulling around:

1) SCROG wire: Should it be made of metal, or string? Does the material matter?

2) I need to take some time to think about future mother plants. Specifically, how I would store it. I was looking at various grow tents online, the ones that sort of look like a very large thermal grocery bag. This week I plan to look through other posts on THC Farmer on this subject.
2b) What strain the mother plant will be. Bubba Kush was recommended ITT and is being considered. I took a bit of time to research indica strains that are more on the stout side, to see what my options are. I did learn that one of my favourites, God Bud, grows on the short side. I still want to do more research into this.

In the Grow Guide PDF, it gives a few recommendations I thought I would share here and see what people think about them:

1) Mycorrhizae powder. "Fungus plays a large role in our forest ecosystems around the globe. You can take advantage of plants natural relationship with fungi by introducing Mycelium directly to your soil. Mycelium are the root like network of mushrooms. Mushrooms are actually the fruiting body of mycelium. They help your plants by forming a relationship with their roots where they will exchange nutrients with the roots for sugars exuded by the plants. Plants know what they want and they ask the mycelium to bring it to them. Using this inoculant in your garden can greatly increase the efficiency of your plants root system and is highly recommended.". I did not do this, because I was unable to locate any where I am.

2) Organic, unsulphured molasses. It recommends 1 TBSP to 4 Litres of water. "As a form of carbohydrate it is used by the microbiology in your soil to feed on, increasing their population and further breaking down nutrients in the soil to be available to your plants. It also contains trace minor elements your plants can use.". It recommends doing this to "kickstart the soil life" if the soil dries out. It suggests this can be given to the plants during flowering, up to the last week or 2. It also advises against overuse, which can screw up the PH of the soil.

There was a preamble about how the soil is a living thing, explained what the rhizosphere is, etc..

It lists a host of other things, but those are the 2 I am more interested in. Other suggestions included:

1) Lactic acid bacteria or Lactobacillus. A recipe is also provided.
2) Bokashi
3) Aloe
4) Coconut water
5) Silica
6) Seed sprout tea
7) Compost tea
8) Malted Barley as a top dressing
9) Earthworm castings (This is an ingredient in the soil already, but it was also listed).

Ferritus

Ferritus

UPDATE:

Here is a video of them from July 30:

And here they are this morning:

IMG 0663

IMG 0665

As inserted this photo into my post, I see little pistils (I think?) coming off this plant.

According to the PDF grow guide: "Once the plant has 6 nodes it’s time to trim its top to promote extra growth. The top of the plant will produce the largest cola or bud. You can train your plants to create multiple colas resulting in a bushier growth structure which is beneficial for increasing yield in an indoor environment. It’s easy and maximizes your canopy space to increase yield and is essential to obtain peak results from your grow box. By cutting the main stem you are forcing the plant to redirect its attention to remaining growth tips, which become new tops. This spreads out the plants total canopy and produces more quality buds that have equal access to the light. An even canopy is the desired result."

This is followed by info on leaf tucking and light stress bending.

So tonight when the lights turn on (Dark hours are 1 PM-7PM) I will top at least the largest 2. The smaller ones I might let a big bigger, but for sure the largest 2 need it.

As for the 5th seedling I sprouted.

IMG 0594

I didn't really know what else to do with it, so I just stuck it outside. For reasons that are only funny if you are my partner and I, we have named the outdoor plant "Citizen Smith". This photo is from about a week ago and Citizen Smith has not grown too much since. There are a few new leaves happening.

I realise there is a good chance it is going to just die, but its purpose for now is to just be a balcony plant and my smoke buddy.

FourthCity

FourthCity

UPDATE:
Here is a video of them from July 30:
You didnt tell us the box time travels too! Seriously though, looks like your plants are very healthy and happy so good job there. That being said, I think Citizen Smith is going to have another friend joining him outside the tent before you are done.

Ferritus

Ferritus

You didnt tell us the box time travels too! Seriously though, looks like your plants are very healthy and happy so good job there. That being said, I think Citizen Smith is going to have another friend joining him outside the tent before you are done.

It's like a very plain TARDIS hahaha.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how they're coming along!

Ferritus

Ferritus

This was taken down immediately (of course) but I think it can live here and be appreciated.

Ferritus

Ferritus

It would have been more appreciated if you would have tried cloning that. That hurt my heart for some weird reason. 🤣

It's my first grow, an auto flower. It was explained to me earlier in this thread that cloning an auto flower is "not ideal" so I didn't even consider it. I'm planning on buying some feminized seeds and cloning from those instead.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
It's my first grow, an auto flower. It was explained to me earlier in this thread that cloning an auto flower is "not ideal" so I didn't even consider it. I'm planning on buying some feminized seeds and cloning from those instead.
I c. Not sure why you’d chop an auto like that, they tend to be on the smaller side as is. Cloning yourself is a great idea for a perpetual style grow. Going to give cloning a try myself next grow. Good luck and happy grows.
*edited
Didn’t know you were growing autos. Sorry bud.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I c. Not sure why you’d chop an auto like that, they tend to be on the smaller side as is. Cloning yourself is a great idea for a perpetual style grow. Going to give cloning a try myself next grow. Good luck and happy grows.
Did you look at the beginning of the thread? This is what they are growing in:
img_0412-jpeg.986465

Only one incredibly small space, no room for clones, big plants, or a perpetual grow. I wouldn't normally advise topping autos either but considering the limitations of the space I dont see how it could hurt.

Top Bottom