The high cost of Seeds !!!!!!!!!!???????????

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

Clone cuts don't have true regular seed versions but some seedbanks have crossed various cuts to produce R seed from these clones.

Am I missing something? M/F is referring to male and female regular photoperiod, right?

Quicksand

Quicksand

Clone cuts don't have true regular seed versions but some seedbanks have crossed various cuts to produce R seed from these clones.
But true, a reverse self pollination would only produce female seed. And have multiple phenotypes. Is that a bad thing? Just wondering out loud…

Microstraincollector

Microstraincollector

But true, a reverse self pollination would only produce female seed. And have multiple phenotypes. Is that a bad thing? Just wondering out loud…
Not to me... Buying seeds is like a lottery for phenos anyway IMO... If you buy a cut, you're getting the exact genetics of the mother... Cuts down on the guesswork... Where I get concerned is that there's a name for every cut and they seem to all be legendary

H

hawkman

hey !! just found a site that offers clones for $34.99 each (now 20% off - $24.99) they ship to 50 states - reason I posting this is because this is by far the cheapest for clones that I have found _FYI

Quicksand

Quicksand

Not to me... Buying seeds is like a lottery for phenos anyway IMO... If you buy a cut, you're getting the exact genetics of the mother... Cuts down on the guesswork... Where I get concerned is that there's a name for every cut and they seem to all be legendary
hey !! just found a site that offers clones for $34.99 each (now 20% off - $24.99) they ship to 50 states - reason I posting this is because this is by far the cheapest for clones that I have found _FYI
🙄 Oh please…..

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Well you see that’s where the problem lies. There use to be 1 of each elite then we have people using that name to sell seeds that are nothing like the name they are using.
For instance here is someone’s home
68D02494 4A19 4F59 A783 3BCC869AE8B8
A7C54F13 F6A0 455D BE82 0A019FE2B3FB

mans here is the real ghost og 😕
6109AC86 58C2 45DD 8C75 55411B4AFEE2
32B87F2F 46C7 426B 8E93 AC141E7B36C5

the big one is nothing like the original yet they use the name to make the sale off of hype that’s really not there.

J

JenkylClones

I predict massive disappointment with the GDP. Like Gorilla Glue. There's so many bullshit breeders out there just lying. My buddy here is on his third attempt to find genuine GDP. And same with GG4. He's got these little shrubs that look nothing like real GG4 at week 6 of flower.

Trust nothing from Seedsman. I don't know why he did.
The josey Wales Cut is easily available so yes real gg4 is readily available in Canada and the US. We have it if your looking.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

The josey Wales Cut is easily available so yes real gg4 is readily available in Canada and the US. We have it if your looking.
I’ve got breeders packs of IBL GG4. I was just talking about knockoffs using the name. Thanks for the offer though.

J

JenkylClones

I find it quite funny the argument over seeds. If you really want to save money buy clones.
To find a specific cultivar we average 40 seeds which cost anywhere from 300 to 3000. End of the story is it doesn't matter how much you spend good breeders are good breeders. For instance the most stable breeder we have tried is thug pug who charges 100 per pack. We have tried everyone from gage to dying breed to seed junky to Ed in the triangle. Nobody has been as consistent as thug.
The thing is most home growers will only ever get to try a good cultivar of what they purchased if they are quite lucky. A pheno that checks all the boxes will be about 2.5-5% chance of finding that examplr in a single seed pack.

J

JenkylClones

I’ve got breeders packs of IBL GG4. I was just talking about knockoffs using the name. Thanks for the offer though.
Breeder packs and the original cut are not the same at all. The josey cut is real gg4 the rest are all bx versions of it.

Those generally won't be as good. The josey cut was used to make those seeds. Breeder cuts generally are on another level than what they produce orher than the rare outliers that can happen.
I have done the experiment twice with a breeder cut vs. 4 packs of seeds. So far breeder cuts 2 seeds 0

The reason I mention this cut is because the cut is cheaper than seed packs. We sell it for 50$ which is a much better deal than taking a chance on seeds.

J

JenkylClones

Breeder packs and the original cut are not the same at all. The josey cut is real gg4 the rest are all bx versions of it.

Those generally won't be as good. The josey cut was used to make those seeds. Breeder cuts generally are on another level than what they produce orher than the rare outliers that can happen.
I have done the experiment twice with a breeder cut vs. 4 packs of seeds. So far breeder cuts 2 seeds 0

The reason I mention this cut is because the cut is cheaper than seed packs. We sell it for 50$ which is a much better deal than taking a chance on seeds.

I get what your saying about breeders and I would agree at least 90% should quit to stop degrading genetic lines.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I find it quite funny the argument over seeds. If you really want to save money buy clones.
To find a specific cultivar we average 40 seeds which cost anywhere from 300 to 3000. End of the story is it doesn't matter how much you spend good breeders are good breeders. For instance the most stable breeder we have tried is thug pug who charges 100 per pack. We have tried everyone from gage to dying breed to seed junky to Ed in the triangle. Nobody has been as consistent as thug.
The thing is most home growers will only ever get to try a good cultivar of what they purchased if they are quite lucky. A pheno that checks all the boxes will be about 2.5-5% chance of finding that examplr in a single seed pack.
agreed; you need to pop dozens of seeds to replicate anything near the original; and only that is possible if the groundwork was properly done.

Like the pre-98 bubba kush I'm going to do here in a bit. Taken from cuts; then I'm going to breed the two girls into one another; cause there's are no known males of the 98 (that I know exist) just sitting around some where's... they are all females. So that's what I have to work with; breeding identical cultivars into one another; with pseudo feminized half-males.

Swayz

Swayz

Expensive seeds are fine. Think about all the work that goes in to creating some of these strains and the risk as well for people traveling and collecting seeds from landraces across the globe.

A lot of the people have also been doing this and continue to do this is places where it’s illegal. And I would absolutely pass that cost on to the customers.

J

JenkylClones

agreed; you need to pop dozens of seeds to replicate anything near the original; and only that is possible if the groundwork was properly done.

Like the pre-98 bubba kush I'm going to do here in a bit. Taken from cuts; then I'm going to breed the two girls into one another; cause there's are no known males of the 98 (that I know exist) just sitting around some where's... they are all females. So that's what I have to work with; breeding identical cultivars into one another; with pseudo feminized half-males.
I know what you mean. We helped with an old man haze project. That took literally forever. 6 month flower time was painful. But how else do you try to recreate something. I wish I could have my first cut ever back. True nl from Washington, not the Holland shyte.

Supposedly there is a few of those early to mid 90s cuts available in the triangle. Never know if that's stories or not. Most certainly aren't sharing.

the rrock

the rrock

most of the old timers I know from as late as the 70s(from Garberville,Honeydew to the Oregon border) dont even play on the intranet,the locals have their monthly farmers markets,swap meets. You gotta drive up their and talk to the locals,usually hillbillies driving brand new jeeps,trucks,dualsports or quads.(a couple big ones coming up this month). Most likke to barter.

J

JenkylClones

Expensive seeds are fine. Think about all the work that goes in to creating some of these strains and the risk as well for people traveling and collecting seeds from landraces across the globe.

A lot of the people have also been doing this and continue to do this is places where it’s illegal. And I would absolutely pass that cost on to the customers.

My only issue is to many selling at 250 a pack shouldn't be. We've found gage green to be worth the money but I wouldn't recommend seed junky

If you were in Canada you can get them even cheaper. Square one, thug pug, lit, gage, exotic genetix etc. Available @150 for a 4 pack mix and match which includes shipping in most of Western Canada.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I know what you mean. We helped with an old man haze project. That took literally forever. 6 month flower time was painful. But how else do you try to recreate something. I wish I could have my first cut ever back. True nl from Washington, not the Holland shyte.

Supposedly there is a few of those early to mid 90s cuts available in the triangle. Never know if that's stories or not. Most certainly aren't sharing.
Find the appropriate cut; then slice into 2 clones... Then I would take Silver Thiosulfate and spray approx. 3-5 days (once daily) until the flip. (on one plant) continue spraying once daily for the next 10-14 days, until pollens bud... Then take the pollens; transfer them over to the other plant; you can even allow the donor plant to "re-flower" and try to self harvest if the plant is converted backwards again; ie. if it auto-converts soon enough; but the seeds could be a little diminished; I surmise; best to use at least 2 plants for this exercise IMO

If you save the other; as your pollens arrive before the female hairs and flip in succession; (pre-timed) you can control the pollination process; and also gain much bud weights; leaving most of the seeds at the bases Y aspects of the stems on the very first emerging hairs... Then remove the pollen source... The more pollen used; the smaller; and lower grade the resulting cannabis will be; but both can be easily realized; if the proper balance is well maintained.

Then it's just a matter of fully maturing the seeds; and good plant health. Proper nutrition and sunlight. Proper post hardening and stratification; then into the fridge or ground again. I would highly suggest popping say a dozen or more of the resulting seeds, so all the phenotype selections are represented; and a proper selection can be easily performed. Some cultivars are simply going to have more sub-phenotypes than others.

If your breeding yourself; into yourself; your going to get mostly yourself... 🤫 Plus, your taking the guesswork out of the male side; cause your starting with a known entity; and they will all be girls... Only any sub-phenotypes that persist in the lines should be represented at this point; and can be easily vetted with proper sprout numbers.
220px Punnett square mendel flowers

PXL 20220206 001946296MP   Copy 1

PXL 20220310 093417286MP 1
PXL 20220309 101050858MP

PXL 20220128 185102283MP 1   Copy 1

PXL 20220128 202237342MP 1
PXL 20220128 202157973MP   Copy 1
PXL 20220310 093050934MP
Last edited:
J

JenkylClones

15 or 20 bucks for a seed doesn’t seem so bad when you harvest 2000 bucks worth of bud from the plant.
The only problem with that concept is if you bought strain X because of the taste, smell, and look. People then expect it to be all these things when there is actually a couple percent chance of that being the case. We've had it happen numerous times where we ran 40 seeds and didn't get a keeper. A dozen that will look right, a dozen that smell right, and a dozen that taste right. But nothing that hits all the points and to be a keeper you need all 3.

Top Bottom