The high cost of Seeds !!!!!!!!!!???????????

• Thread starter hawkman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The only problem with that concept is if you bought strain X because of the taste, smell, and look. People then expect it to be all these things when there is actually a couple percent chance of that being the case. We've had it happen numerous times where we ran 40 seeds and didn't get a keeper. A dozen that will look right, a dozen that smell right, and a dozen that taste right. But nothing that hits all the points and to be a keeper you need all 3.
This is why clones are so important; and having access to the proper gear guarantee's it; you simply don't have to do any guesswork. Vetting is pre-done.

Seeds are of very limited use IMO. Certainly can be useful in breeding projects. Clones represent the master keys to everything cannabis; not seeds. not any particular breeder. It's a truly team effort. The more successful breeders are able to combine diverse genetics.
Thug Pug Club be damned. 🤪

My Landrace Thai x Purple Punch project. Coming from the seeds listed above.

PXL 20220429 221416076 1
PXL 20220503 194931147
Last edited:
J

JenkylClones

I have use for seeds as well, but we hunt them as they are meant to be hunted. We do it for a living.
I rarely have anyone that isn't blown away when they compare the last seed run they did vs. A clone pack from us.

I have the tikiman cut of that lemon cherry gelato and it is excellent.

Anthem

Anthem

Holy shit I thought it was expensive where I’m at even if your plant was a lb or are talkin outdoor crap ? Either way man 2000 a plant is way off imo
Mosh there are some elite growers still getting 2k a pound for there stuff. Runtz is one that is extremely costly to buy and the guys that have real runtz and now what they are doing get 2k a unit for it.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If you are paying 200 an ounce at a dispensary it doesn’t take long to get to 2000. Just randomly picked the numbers. And yes, outdoor crap. Some of us are still happy with decent looks, decent smell, and decent taste. If it gets you a good buzz. Some of us won’t turn our noses up at it, even if it’s not the equivalent of heaven sent pot!

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Until recently, I have only grown seeds and purchased from many different vendors. IMHO @Frankster is correct. Clones are so important because hunts have already been done. Feels like shit popping 20 regular seeds and getting 1 suitable female. I read a lot of posts about people complaining about their seeds or the results of their seeds in flower and clones are the easiest way to eliminate the uncertainty. We all want that crazy gear to A) smoke B) Show off C) Trade and... clones will get you there. I'm a clone feen these days but I do recommend brothersgrimm to folks.

https://brothersgrimmseeds.com/

J

JenkylClones

If you are paying 200 an ounce at a dispensary it doesn’t take long to get to 2000. Just randomly picked the numbers. And yes, outdoor crap. Some of us are still happy with decent looks, decent smell, and decent taste. If it gets you a good buzz. Some of us won’t turn our noses up at it, even if it’s not the equivalent of heaven sent pot!

That's the thing you can get rare quads for 150 an ounce or less where I'm at. Outdoor and mids start at a hp for 250.

J

JenkylClones

Mosh there are some elite growers still getting 2k a pound for there stuff. Runtz is one that is extremely costly to buy and the guys that have real runtz and now what they are doing get 2k a unit for it.
Bama cut and nicks cut runtz are available for under 400 per clone.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I had no idea seeds were going for that kind of $$$$$. I've seen some very pretty strains, some very frosty strains, but besides the "R's" as I heard someone mention I'm not seeing quality and quantity. The last pack(s) of seeds I bought were either a breeder named Snowhigh who sold out on Attitude real fast (excellent strains), or the initial drop of Rare Dankness GTH#1, and a few others. The GTH was also excellent for both yield, and quality.
Everything else have been my own crosses, and I couldn't be happier with the outcomes

growsince79

growsince79

Until recently, I have only grown seeds and purchased from many different vendors. IMHO @Frankster is correct. Clones are so important because hunts have already been done. Feels like shit popping 20 regular seeds and getting 1 suitable female. I read a lot of posts about people complaining about their seeds or the results of their seeds in flower and clones are the easiest way to eliminate the uncertainty. We all want that crazy gear to A) smoke B) Show off C) Trade and... clones will get you there. I'm a clone feen these days but I do recommend brothersgrimm to folks.

https://brothersgrimmseeds.com/
Sounds like there's lots of rip offs out there. 20 fem seeds should all make 18-19 top shelf girls and 2 or 3 phenos tops. Glad I have my own.

J

JenkylClones

Sounds like there's lots of rip offs out there. 20 fem seeds should all make 18-19 top shelf girls and 2 or 3 phenos tops. Glad I have my own.
With punnets square you should get a few that will meet the standard and that's it. It's not they wouldn't all be top shelf quality but they will not meet all the points and yes some will have no terps, no flavor. I don't care if you spent 10 or 10000 on the pack. Genetics are Genetics which you can not get around which is why I suggest clones.
I only know of 1 breeder ever to make proper f1s with f7 stability, but that took almost 5 years to complete.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

These are the last 3 females I popped out of 5 beans. 3 distinct phenotypes from some old, tiny F2's. Idk if anyone remember or had ever seen the C/O Sweet Tooth #4, but the one pheno that looks like Cabbage Patch Kids is almost a dead ringer.
20220503 035043
20220503 035234
20220503 033808

J

JenkylClones

I like doing the work and seeing what comes out of the seeds I pop. I could stock a garden with elite cuts no problem, but not appealing to me at all.
I used to think that way too. Thousands and thousands of seeds later I now find it a bit tedious when I think 95% at least of what I am going to pop will hit the garbage and the bud will mostly just be donated to cancer patients.
Problem being most "breeders" can't even grow a quad so should they really be breeding... of course not.

Last edited:
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I used to think that way too. Thousands and thousands of seeds later I now find it a bit tedious when I think 95% at least of what I am going to pop will hit the garbage and the bud will mostly just be donated to cancer patients.
Problem being most "breeders" can't even grow a quad so should they really be breeding... of course not.
Ya know I agree with you for the most part, but I couldn't be happier with my crosses, and the outcome.
Probably the smartest thing I've done since working with cannabis has been keeping everything I'd consider elite. I would rather grow out my own crosses than several of the tried, true, and even rare strain (nah, not ready to start calling phenotypes of strain "cultivars")
5 seeds, f2's no less, and those were the 3 fems I got, and that's not the exception

DanC520

DanC520

Well I know the breeders i get from know their stuff. But that’s all besides the point. Buying cuts that much closer to just buying the flower to me. That’s just me though. Even though not keepers per say, I’ve been rather happy with my results.

growsince79

growsince79

With punnets square you should get a few that will meet the standard and that's it. It's not they wouldn't all be top shelf quality but they will not meet all the points and yes some will have no terps, no flavor. I don't care if you spent 10 or 10000 on the pack. Genetics are Genetics which you can not get around which is why I suggest clones.
I only know of 1 breeder ever to make proper f1s with f7 stability, but that took almost 5 years to complete.
I guess I just got lucky then, all my F1 seeds are better than anything I can buy here- and I only spent $40 lol.

Top Bottom