The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Shoot the Tahoe i run is straight super earthy OG almost pine earthy, so sounds pretty close.

Hmm, very different experiences IMO. Yes the legit Fire, SFV, and Tahoe all look somewhat similar (because they are OG's), but growth, nugs and finished product are WAY different. Fire IMO, is a little stouter but very finicky for me even in super soil that crushes for the other two. Fire yields big, as does SFV but both have different shaped nugs and finished flavor/smell. Tahoe is lower yielder, slightly lankier and much different finished smell for me- no lemon, straight earthy pine dank. Other two are varying degrees of lemon funk.

The HA is different than those both growth and finished nugs. TK seems hardier than all of them growth wise IMO (2 cuts I've tried), but was very similar to SFV flowering...one was a bit earthier than SFV and bout to flip second cut which samples were much skunkier than other OGs.
So what is your opinion on the differences? Do you think they are different because of S1's or something else. I have a 4 light ready to run right now, I have hardcore vegging but I am really thinking about grabbing the sfv, fire and 1 other one to do another test run. Are the differences extremely profound?

Which one is your favorite

true grit

true grit

So what is your opinion on the differences? Do you think they are different because of S1's or something else. I have a 4 light ready to run right now, I have hardcore vegging but I am really thinking about grabbing the sfv, fire and 1 other one to do another test run. Are the differences extremely profound?

Which one is your favorite

To me fave is a toss up between SFV and Tahoe. Fire is too finicky for me, shitty rooter, tough vegger but flowers just fine. dank in crosses. SFV consistently yields best and in organic puts out flowers that smell dank and taste straight lemon candy. Tahoe isn't quite the yield but i really enjoy the earthy pine OG flavor in organics. To me its a bit more complex. And took me a couple runs to get her to produce and be tasty...not sure weight wise id do beds but def several for persy. SFV id run beds of in a heartbeat...when i nail her she can really put out. Think under these gavitas she is gonna crush.

Hells Angels easily put out like SFV for me. Didnt have best run with SFV so tough to compare flavors. Ran and dropped 1 TK and Unknown OG, and couple randoms. But overall when you nail the wifi43 its straight SFV flavored flame with 2x the yield...so def the cropper.

As far as s1's, tough to say but would explain the slight variation but very inbred similar characteristics.

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

I do not agree with that statement @sanvanalona I grew Tahoe and SFV and they are two differents plants, at least in my garden. tahoe is short SFV is lanky.

Ghost, Tahoe, SFV, Fire OG doesn't seems to be the same plants to me. What about Larry?

I grew many of CC OG crosses when they used their SFV bx3 male. If The Fire was the same cut as others used, all hybrids woudl of end up giving the same offsprings, which wasn't the case.

I think their's a lot of confusion coming out the Adam show. They jump on conclusion a bit too quick for my taste.

There's no evidence that prove OGR cut is the same as this K.OG. As anyone here heard of K.OG before?

Yet there's no evidence that this K.OG is in fact the Ghost cut ! Neither the Tahoe.

Yet orgnkid claims the "Ghost"cut is the first original OG Kush, yet others claim
the TK is the original OG.

in very confused . Back when oregon kid went to canada and came back with the avid they didnt sell here yet , he stopped by my house with thadocta and were giving a ghost cut from my crew. But it was not o.g. .sagarmatha actually . exotic . made big round aquablue buds very crystally with wispy leafs. I was offline from 06 to 11 so im a little behind.

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
in very confused . Back when oregon kid went to canada and came back with the avid they didnt sell here yet , he stopped by my house with thadocta and were giving a ghost cut from my crew. But it was not o.g. .sagarmatha actually . exotic . made big round aquablue buds very crystally with wispy leafs. I was offline from 06 to 11 so im a little behind.
Tell me bout the wispy leaves!

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
see why its confusing, everyone naming eveything the same :wtf:

Can science date tissues of a clone plant, to the day the seeds was germinated? Can we DNA investigate those clones see if there are all related or not? I heard some people were doing this, who knows...

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

see why its confusing, everyone naming eveything the same :wtf:

Can science date tissues of a clone plant, to the day the seeds was germinated? Can we DNA investigate those clones see if there are all related or not? I heard some people were doing this, who knows...
Canna printing, DNA make up that carbon classifies your buds and what category they are in. Sad thing is is its SO effective it detects so finely that If I grew the same cut even at two different houses they would come up different places on the graph. IT is very hard to get it the exact same everytime, kinda like the mona lisa

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
The OGenome Project - Genetically Analyzing OG Kush Cuts
IT'S OFFICIAL! The Adam Dunn Show is undertaking a project to hire a lab [see email below] to genetically analyze and compare the 20 OG cuts listed below and we definitely need everyone's help!

*WE DO -NOT- NEED YOUR CUTS - WE WILL NEED HELP FUNDING THIS VIA DONATIONS/AUCTION ITEMS. AT SOME POINT, WE MAY NEED SAMPLES OF DRY FLOWERS FOR TESTING*

OGs to be compared/catalogued:
1. OG Kush
2. OGer
3. Ghost's OG
4. Fire OG
5. Coal Creek Kush
6. True OG
7. Pure Kush
8. Tahoe OG
9. SFV OG Kush A
10. SFV OG Kush B (Raskal's)
11. Abusive's OG
12. LA OG
13. King Louis XIII OG
14. Skywalker OG
15. Brain OG
16. Diablo OG
17. Larry OG
18. Hell's Angel OG
19. Snoop OG
20. Triangle Kush

Please message me to be involved and share this post around to raise awareness! Together we can do this and settle it once and for all!

Taken from another site.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Email from laboratory:
"Our assay involves analysis of 13 short tandem repeats (STRs) that have been described in Howard et al., Journal of Forensic Sciences (2008) and in Mendoza et al., Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (2009). The assay produces a pattern of DNA fragment sizes that is unique to each genetically distinct plant. Therefore, we would be able to tell if the two samples are genetically the same or not, assuming that the samples are each composed from the material derived from a single plant. Of course, all plants that have been generated by vegetative reproduction (by cuttings, etc.) would be clones of the original plant and have identical genetic and STR profiles.

In terms of reporting of the results, we can provide a comparison between two or several samples in order to determine if they are identical, closely related, or not closely related. These determinations would be based on the degree of matching of the STR “fingerprints”. Only an exact fragment pattern match would be reported as confirmation of identity. If you can provide a set of validated samples, we can evaluate a degree of relationship between an unknown sample and the validated samples.

At this time we have a limited database consisting of 5 validated Cannabis varietals available in-house, which can be used as controls. Much larger libraries of Cannabis genetic fingerprints for different strains exist in various law enforcement and government databases, but we do not have access to them at this time.

Regarding the samples themselves, analysis of plant leaf material is typically done (seeds or fertilized flowers may contain genetic material from two different individuals) or other vegetative plant parts such as unopened flower buds would be fine. We would need about 150 to 300 mg of plant material per sample. I am not sure what the legal issues may be regarding shipping these samples by FedEx or UPS, you probably should contact the shippers directly. From our perspective, better quality of DNA can be obtained from fresh, frozen, or low heat air-dried plant material. Samples from which the active ingredient (THC) has been extracted (for example, using ethanol) can also be tested, and may be less problematical to ship and dispose. We can provide a method for doing that.

STR testing of plant leaf material will be performed under DEA regulations. The cost would be $500 per sample, plus a $250 batch processing fee; so two samples would be $1,250. If you request that we include our in-house controls for comparative analysis, those would be added at $350 per sample, or $1,500 for a set of five."

We've also made provisional contact with a second lab that is specifically interested in this sort of cannabis project and would offer considerably reduced rates (something closer to $75/sample) that does not have any DEA licensing

B

Bowl Finger

Interesting. What are they hoping to accomplish, ultimately, with these tests? Once genetic lineage is determined,what will that info be used for?

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Im gonna cute and paste some questions asked and replies from Mitch. Im cutting out the users name so thats why it will look a little odd.

Sounds like an awesome project I know more than a few of us have mentioned of doing during sessions then never following through. So kudos for that
applause.gif
. I understand the comparative analysis deal but would it help to control the test by putting in a known 50% og hybrid? Many of us run hybrids that we can verify by either knowing the original breeder or having done the cross ourselves. Then comparing that to say bubba kush to see if it is actually an og hybrid. Or would that be analytical?

Depending on how they do the comparisons, they can be either comparative or analytical. Earlier this evening, I spoke with the proprietor of the second lab I mentioned - we're gonna bring him on the show this Wednesday and ask him all the questions we got, then let the public decide if they feel confident having them proceed.

Their method is different than the first lab's - they do true genomic research by looking for/at Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs)
(learn more here: , and here: ).

My next question would be that if this is a group effort will results be made public and who will get to possess the data and will it be public for others to use in the many possible future comparative and analytical tests. The possibility of an open source cannabis genome project intrigues me. If the cheaper company wants to keep some data proprietary or restrict the data in anyway I don't think that helps the project.
We (the Adam Dunn Show) will definitely be publishing the results everywhere we can. We're hoping to at lest build a little theater into the whole thing and have some sort of live event where we can hand people the results for their plants [a la Maury Povich] for fun and a sense of occasion, but the results will all be published in print and online.

As for the lab, based on what we've discussed so far, they'll keep the data for anyone to submit a sample to compare against (and, hopefully, we'll end up in a situation where we get sponsorships/donations/etc substantial enough for us to negotiate & buy some kind of permanent group discount for anyone comparing with our results).

Plus I want to see where David Richards hash plant falls into the og equation as well as whether the og and chem share common parents which I suspect they do.
hmm.gif

From what Dave says, the common parent is the Hashplant; the Dog bud (s1 of which supposedly became Chemdog) is supposedly Hashplant x Babylon (iraqi landrace); I believe he said the cross on the Kryptonite (s1 of which supposedly became OG Kush) was the same Hashplant x Thai Afghani.

But yeah- it'll definitely be fun if we can get all that genetically confirmed
smile.gif

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Sadly, some folk out there will pokes holes in your research.

Even more sadly, some of these people claim the professional title of "breeder" but doubt the research method because they don't have a college-level understanding of genetics.

I have no intention of naming any names, but folks associated with some bigger seed companies have contacted me asking how the test can be trusted if we can't verify the original sources (ie how do we know that our 'Tahoe' sample is really Tahoe).

The simple answer is that it doesn't matter what it's called - it matters what the genotype is. We will find a finite number of genotypes (my gut instinct says less than 5 across the 20 cuts, but even if there are 20 distinct, it doesn't matter), and whatever you called the strain before you submitted it, at the end, it's gonna either be Genotype A, B, C, D, or E - or if it's unique, it's genotype F, congratulations.

The other piece is that we're submitting dried flower samples - they'll be collected from reputable sources who can trace their cut, and before they're anonymously labeled with a random number letter combination and sent to the lab (which will also receive an undisclosed number of duplicate samples and dummy submissions to test their accuracy and repeatability), they'll be reviewed/smoked by a panel of 8-12 folks the community thinks are qualified enough to know their shit, and we will keep on our end a list of what everyone identified each sample as before the lab test.

Moat og's are distinct with 3-5 groups as you would say ... I can categorize them already with out dna testing ... What we want to know is how they are related. Maybe add a Chemdog 91 in the mix just for kicks
smile.gif

Yes - the good news is that SNP analysis will let us trace the relationships very clearly
smile.gif

i would avoid any relation to DEA they will only use any information against you so try make sure any information isnot shared with them !!!

Very excellent point - that actually is a really strong motivator to go with the 2nd (cheaper) lab - they don't have any DEA certification and are a private California-based enterprise that's focused on cannabis [whereas the DEA-certified one is an Illinois-based enterprise that's focused on all sorts of genetics].

I did wanna point out that the DNA analysis we're going to be contracting is a comparative, not analytical analysis.

So what the fuck does that mean?

It means that they can say whether two things are the same, or how much they differ, but not what's different (or what's the same) about them, because the individual components are never analyzed or categorized.

From what I've gathered fro, my own research based on what the lab explained in the letter, they basically break the DNA in a repeatable way and look at the pattern it breaks into - and that pattern acts as a "signature" to identify that specific DNA.

Now, could the lab theoretically do more than I hire them to for their own database? Sure, they could. But they could also just go pick up herb from a dispensary and do that if they wanted to, so I don't feel I'm endangering anything/anyone there.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
Killer idea but how bout >>>>>>> Legend OG & Loompas LHB?

Im sure they test those as well if it was from a verified source.

Disclaimer. any major questions I can pass on to other site to get it answered BUT make them relevant and good. I only posted this to pass the word along. I dont have time to play go between for a million non relevant questions.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Marketing tool , like a OMRI stamp, 5 bucks a sticker that verifies its the real deal wether it is or not , just my honest opinion

Latest posts

Top Bottom