• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
@true grit
Mitch. So is the point just to see what common genetics they share? Which share it more or what? Or will they actually be able to link certain cuts by genetic material and start to figure which were first?

SNP analysis should allow us to very quickly determine:
1. Which cuts are the same/renames of each other
2. How the cuts are related to each other (which are parents/offspring/siblings/etc)

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
SNP's will give you much better data than STR's overall, but it will take a bit more work to get to the data due to all the SNP noise in the mix.

Do you know if they are going to look at SNP's of a single chromosome region or run though the whole genome. One very large benefit I can see with SNP's over STR's in this instance, is that the SNP data can also be used for a multitude of other genomics research project(assuming it isn't centered to one chromosome) and can be very enlightening in other areas down the road, while the STR's are pretty much used for this project only.

From what I gather, they'll be running through the whole genome - they told me that the entire process (extracting and analyzing) for 96 samples will take ~8-12 weeks (not sure if that gives you any more info, or if that's wholly arbitrary).

We'll be having the lab's lead geneticist on the show this Wednesday to answer these questions and any more folks come up with (and if the technology holds up, allow listeners to call in with their questions).
smarty.gif

The other big question is to where this data will end up. In my call with the lab today, they consider the results public but the data a valuable business asset. I explained that it's very important for us to take an open source approach and asked them to quantify the value of the asset so that it can potentially be acquired and released to the public domain.
x91.gif

[Hopefully they'll grasp the value of that approach and not ask for a sick amount of money - from a biz perspective, I get that they invested in education, and staffing, and equipment, etc. Etc., but from a branding perspective, what's the point if no one is talking about/sharing the data?]

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
from email to me.

I think we're going to be looking for somewhere around ~48 samples to put out there, with blind duplicates (we'll expect the lab to peg these as dupes), and then non-OG "control" samples (we'll expect the lab to tell these are unrelated)

But im pretty sure they will toss some chems in there as well for comparison as well as PK. im gonna push for it.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
im not really gonna post anymore in that thread till after wed. since they are gonna have the people on the show and will take calls and or ask questions that are brought up in the live chat. show is on icannabisradio from 130-330 est. for those interested. @true grit if anything else comes to mind shoot me a pm or post it here and ill bring it up during the show brother.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
ok from what I gathered they will be testing other samples like bubba , pure , TK etc with the OG's and they can tell what is related to what. who is the parent of. what is an s1 of etc.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
ok from what I gathered they will be testing other samples like bubba , pure , TK etc with the OG's and they can tell what is related to what. who is the parent of. what is an s1 of etc.

This is excelent IMO. Finally something serious is done. Maybe one day they will even able to date those cuts. I bet TK is the mother of OG !!! Who's with me?

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
This is excelent IMO. Finally something serious is done. Maybe one day they will even able to date those cuts. I bet TK is the mother of OG !!! Who's with me?

from what I gather its gonna be like a family tree. I think the way they can date them is by relationship so to speak. they said they will be getting samples from josh and bubba who claim to have gotten the original cut from bag seed in miami and took it up to gainesville in 91. then took it out west in 96. so seeing how they passed right through Otown Im curious to see it compared to TK. I doubt it but IMO they need to get a nug sample from as close to the source as possible. cause all the TK pics you see never once does anyone say they run the s1. NEVER. even read in another thread the real cut someone runs taste like black liquorice

@waayne no problem brother. just trying to help . they dont plan on getting this done for awhile but they are trying to have it done by april and have a big promotion around it. Im guess 4/20. They are gonna be doing fundraisers and auctions to get the money im pretty sure.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
just think how much time and server space this can free up. no more OG threads with debates and arguing . people might have to find something else to do with their time like i dont know. perfect their environment or dial a strain in. lol. but I doubt it.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Interesting @cannapits It will be sick to find out that what is known as the Ghost cut, is at first a s1 of TK find in 1991 buds :)
It is true that they need real sources. But I'm 100% certain that a few breeders run the real deal TK. Big Ricky got it back too and he's in CO, will be cool if they could get him on the show to get his part of the story. I heard The White that Krome's brought is also a TK s1, but that another story....

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
ricky got TK back and he is in CO? @TheCoolestMan im lost lol

Last edited:
alligator

alligator

I hope they go through with the dna project, it'll be great to see whats what. although... Personally id make some tweaks to that list.

I dont think id bother testing the snoop, brain or diablo. (or maybe snoop & the HA can donate $ for their cuts testing).

I've seen more than a few people who've grown both say that HA is same as lemon larry(though i havent any expericence with either so cant say).

Would be nice to see La pk, hollywood pk & suges pk all tested.
I'd also throw face off in there for good measure. Maybe thedocta would donate towards it & some of the other kushs he has in his strains that arent on the list, like the mom of race fuel, valley og, etc(assuming he'd want to know/have it made public...).

Also- i'd absolutely throw some chems(just 91? 91 & D?) in their for testing as well since so many stories say their related.

Might as well throw pre 98 bub in there as well, as kailua kid's story(R.I.P kk) involved it... And imo, that story was one of the more believable ones. Not to mention- i think alot of us would like to know the lineage on it.

I'd be inclined to inquire with sunshine stateseeds to see if they want to put crippie in the mix given their claims about her.

And if i had to bet... I'd say more than a couple on this list will come from fire.
Once apon a time when we ran rooms of it, it consistantly threw fully mature seed(1-3 from 6k). That room was new and at the time only had fire in it, so no chance of cross-contamination/pollenation.

EDIT: forgive me if any of my post is redundant, i havent read this thread yet.

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

i'm still waiting for a t.k. cut that matches ricky's 2006 pics , until then all s1's ....

& how will they tell if something is an s1 or s10 ? & how will we know cuts being used are originals ?

& what about the many kushes and og's in this thread that predate those being tested ?

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
i'm still waiting for a t.k. cut that matches ricky's 2006 pics , until then all s1's ....

& how will they tell if something is an s1 or s10 ? & how will we know cuts being used are originals ?

& what about the many kushes and og's in this thread that predate those being tested ?

The pics I posted are s1? as for how can they tell the guy explains it in the show today. what og's and kushes in this thread do you wanna see tested. find samples and they can be submitted

SpiderK

SpiderK

I'm talking about any t.k. being grown in 2014. Not seen pics of the one that matches ricky's from 2006 icmag post. not the one hes been posting lately ....

who's saying the samples provided will be original cuts or tainted s1's or s10's being tested in the first place. who's verifying those cuts ? the guys running the show ?

Top Bottom