The History of OG Kush

• Thread starter Green Dot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trip8

First I will say that I OG's, I love everything about them: the smell, taste , quality of high, potency, structure yes even the weak floppy branches. It's like the plant doesn't want to waste vital energy on the fiber but puts it all into the flowers. That said,IMO there are already a few strains available that rival OG's in one or all categories depending on your taste.however OG's have the allure and tension of mysterious origins and a certain amount of hype. I believe that's why no one has sent stuff to the lab that I know of I mean deep down I don't want to know. I prefer a little mystery. As soon as we know every detail about anything it becomes a bit more common and bland. Let me qualify this by saying that no I have not tried or grown every elite OG out there. My two cents

jlr42024

jlr42024

:facepalm: haven't laughed at this site in I don't know how long! Didn't even hit me till goo fucking started laughing just like in a room of stoners! Usually to early for this type of shit but you gotta love it! I appreciate everybody here even if you hate everything I say because it takes that contrast of like and dislike between farmers that makes this place work.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Time 07:35, 13 Feb 1999
From oldtimer1

As far as some of the comments about the history and genetics of certain plants there
seems to be a lot of bullshit going down here and completely irrelevant.I don't
know much about genetics but Iíve been growing cannabis a long time. In the 60ís we
brought seed back from Afghanistan and it was a pretty mixed bunch. The shorter, what
you might now call indica type was what was used to make bulk cheap grade hash for
export and depending on the valley it came from had a finish time 8.5 to 10 weeks and a
height of 5 ft to 8 ft but all wide dark leafed. Higher up the slopes nearer the snow line
was the wild indigenous sativa type which was rubbed to make finger hash for local
consumption. All these were fully seeded and being a wind pollinated plant to some degree
mongrels. The high slope C sativa L types survived via nature being able to grow through
the snow and stand frost and are also common in Pakistan kashmir northern India Nepal
and Butan just below the snow line. The short wide leaved phenotype [different with every
farmer] is rogued for slim leaved plants and selected for large resinous colas so all this
business of knowing an Afghan phenotype is a load of cobblers its just a mongrel strain
that someone has selected. I suspect that that it was a fairly resent import as it wouldn't
have been grown if it wasn't for the demand for hash in the west, whatever a Sadu
certainly wouldn't smoke it if there was real Afgani available.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Time 15:45, 12 Feb 1999
From Vic High

Afghani you say? close but an old long lost california blue indica would be closer. Ancestry
is speculation on all fronts but here's a quote from the most knowledgeable responce I've
heard to date:

"The first Cal Indy from a cross between two kinds of kush plants, one grown in Hawaii,
the other grown in California. It's original genes are from some place nearer to china, than
arabia."

There is definately something else in the mix other than afghani or kush when looking at
flwoer period and internode length. The romberry's are more like the kushes (blueberry
included) than the romulan. However, most of the first romulan backcrosses have romulan
internodes. Say why don't you use your punnet square and tell me what this means :)

SpiderK

SpiderK

TOPIC - time to post again
DATE - 11:57:26 5/04/99
FROM - Chemo

High all

I haven't posted to any boards in ages. Some of you may remember me from
HempBC boards and IRC. I figured it was time to join in again and help out
whenever I can.

I'll start by giving my latest harvest report

Harvest end of March:

Thai x Haze Skunk (Dutch Passion originals, my own cross)
Thai F2 "
Stawberry Blonde (Breeder Steve via Amsterdam coffee shop)
Jamaican (unknown genes direct from the Island)

All were very nice but different

out of 10 seeds of each (6 of thai x hs)

Had 6 thai fems
1 thai hs
4 Strawberry Blonde
3 Jamaican

Grown in rubbermaid buckets (11 liter) with bubbler in bottom for veg. Under
160watts florescent

Took clones and sexed moms. Clones then put into 1000watt garden. Mh
first 2 weeks then hps after (sunblaster conversion hps to mh good
bulb).hydrocorn buckets with drip pureblend 3tbsp/gallon. SCROG system
used

PUreblend by itself is very tricky

Thai

typical thai taste. some hermes on 3-4 of 6 but had a high stress period with
fert problems. varied 10-14 flowering time but all harvested at 12. Potency
exceptional on one and good to very good on others. very up. taste nice spicy
to piney depending on plant. kept exceptional mom , taste isn't as good, but
best yield and higest potency.
70g on one plant started at 9 - 12 inches flowering

thai x hs

one mom. best taste of all. tropical. potent not as stretchy as thai. finished at
2.5 ft, thai up to 5 when straightened out.

Strawberry blonde

Hats off to breeder steve
all moms finished flowering at 10 weeks. 3 of 4 are very potent and probably
highest of crop. Nice taste but nothing extraordinary. finished at 2.5 feet.
lower yield on these though 20-30/ plant

Jamaican

nice smmooth musky fruity flavor. lowest yield down to 10-15/ plant. nice up
high, but still relaxing. (thai is myuch more anxiety producing). have crossed
with pollen from best thai male and will be cubing as well. I love the overall
blend of this smoke but yield problematic. may do better if veged to 2-3 feet
as opposed to 1 foot, stretched very little.

Overall a very nice crop. I don't know if I'll try pureblend by itself again. seems
to work better combined with gh.

if any questions my email is above

SpiderK

SpiderK

TOPIC - Chemo
DATE - 18:22:31 4/12/99
FROM - occam

Hi Vic, just saw your post at Cann.com.. I was given a few seeds of what was called Chemo about a year ago from a biker buddy. It is a typical indica, broad leafed, deep green, makes huge buds with resin like crazy, and is very strong. It seems to breed true, and is a bit slow growing compared to other varieties. The really unusual bit is the smell. It reminds me of burning rubber, in an good sort of way. It isn't my favourite, but is in high demand by the locals. So I don't know if it is "Chemo" or not, but that's the story.

SpiderK

SpiderK

TOPIC -
DATE - 09:49:28 9/19/99
FROM - oldtimer1

Baudelaire You have given me a lot to think about I just love this its stimulating! The reference to physical
changes and thc/cbd/cbn ratios came from High Times or Sensemilla tips or may be from one of the writers of
books associated with them. I have read most of the magazines and books over the years its hard to remember
which but I seem to remember the university of Mississippi being mentioned if thats any help. As to your
knowledge of how things grow area to area in the states, I cant dispute yours being first hand mine from reading.
As to personal observations matching what I have read Iíll out line them you analyse them for me and maybe we
can get some light from a different perspectives. When I first tried growing here 35 + years ago it was from stash
seed mainly from Africa, Jamaica and a little from south America. Well they did just what you said about the
Mexican in cali except they would be dead by November and would have hardly started flowering. I tried growing
in pots and bringing them under glass, no go they just went longer and made loads of twigs with few calyxes and
the odd white pistils usually hermy to boot. It was crap to smoke and barely potent. A friend of mine at the time
was studying at the glasshouse crop research institute suggested that it was a photo periodic prob [we didnít
know about light hours at the time] and took me to see the darkening system they were developing for
chrysanthemums. He also suggested maybe lights could be used. So about 35 years ago I built my first indoor
flowering cabinet just to finish a plant off. I used growlux tubes over head and down the sides which knowing what
I do now were pretty useless, even so they did the job producing some semi potent if a little green tasting puff. It
took a while to work out 11 hrs light and 13 hrs dark was needed for them to flower properly somewhat different
to todays plants with indica in using 12/12. Any how we got some quite palatable smoke. Looking at it in todays
light the furthest from the equator any of these plants came from was 18 deg and they seem very hard to adapt in
a pure form as even with protection I never produced a viable seed. I have little experience with pure Indicaís.
Depending on who you believe as to its natural range. It is either a lower altitude plant that grew in valley bottoms
in northern Afghanistan that was developed to meet the expanding western demand, or more to my way of
thinking brought by the Bokhara refugees when they fled the Russians in the 1870ís to Afghanistan and Chinese
Turkestan. Either way its centre of adaption would be 35 deg north in the first inst or 40 deg in the second, at
valley altitudes 1500 to 2000 m that would make it fairly well adapted to quite a lot of the USA apart from the
altitude affecting the light spectrum and season length being longer at lower alt!

Most of the seed that provided the genetics for our todays mothers came from American hippies who were
connected with some semi religious commune group devoted to weed. Were crosses made with seed brought
from Afghanistan to sativas and developed field scale in California. These folk used to visit the squat we lived in at
the time! Going back to cally for the autumn harvest and coming back in the new year / spring with sun grown
buds that were pretty dam good and new seeds for me, I have a lot to thank them for! Our stock plants are all
sativa heavy as far as genetics go although not always by looks! We keep our selected lines going as mums, the
longest I have kept a mum alive is 15 years before having to reclone it. All were selected for potent sativa highs
each unique and also for form to suite our growing system. As far as I can tell there has been no deterioration
over the years and the quality is as good now as when grown the first time from seed given the same growing
conditions. Where things seem to change is when growing conditions are changed. We experimented with
lighting using our vars. Using just sodium light the high becomes flat and boring still very strong and the buds
resinous but the structure not as dense. When just grown under a HQI-T MH the quality of the high is a whole lot
better with plenty of up and much more exciting. The bud quality is better but producing 30% less crop weight.
Using a combination of the two lights produces the best bud weight, density and psycoactivly the best high commercial northern lights was included in this test it made little difference to its stone I wonít say high, under
the different light combinations but its best weight came from the sodium alone. We blind tested our var on over
20 smokers saying we were selecting 3 similar plants asking them to select the best as a keeper, non selected
the sodium only, 4 liked the halide best the rest the combination. 50 w per sq ft was used in each cubical the
soil and feed was the same. The same plant it has been grown in a glass conservatory a polytunnel and outside
in a sunny sheltered spot. The plant under lights was selected for being columnar in form. Under glass it
stretched had long gaps between long branches that were lax flopping all over the place the leaves were larger
paler green broader and hanging down. The buds were soft, fluffy and long, they were cut early Nov, There was
little smell or taste, calyxes were large and sparse tricome development. The stone was low down similar to the
sodium grow but nowhere as good. The outdoor grow were tall and wippy small dark green leaves the pistils were
white but the small bud leaves went bright purple at the end of Sep they were cut 10 th of Oct due to continuous
rain causing the start of botritus. The calyxes were tiny as were the tricomes the buds were full of small leaves
that were covered with tricomes as well. Surprisingly this had a lot more up than the crop grown under the
sodium but not as strong over all it beat the under glass crop hands down, but was a bit green tasting to smoke.
The 3 plants grown under the homemade polytunnel was the biggest surprise it was 15 ft high x 15 ft w x 20 ft
long the plants grew sturdy short nodes wide strong branches, by the time they were cut at the end of October
the whole thing was full side to side end to end and protruding out of the end flaps it had to be cut as night frosts
were forecast. The stems at ground level were 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter and the main leaves enormous dark
green hanging down like large hands. The buds were still 90% white but had density and were frosty with
tricomes once again the buds were full of small leaves [they didn't turn purple]! This makes them a nightmare to
trim, indoors this is an easy plant to manicure. They completely filled the attic where they dried them and it
stank the house up for weeks. At the end of the day they got 4.5 lbs of bud and a couple of big boxes of trim. I
know this doesn't compare with Danbos 3 lb per plant but this is the UK not Cal! Oh yes it was strong with a
good complex up high. It still didnít compare with the indoor MH or mixed light product, either for bud quality or
high, But it was still pretty dam good. They were all clones from the same mum and were planted out the third
week in May. I know the growers were different, but I bred and selected the plant and have grown it for 10 years
indoors! When I visited each site, I would not have recognised any as the same one I grow indoors. You certainly
wouldn't recognise them as being the same plant from site to site either they just looked so different in form, leaf
structure and colour. I know a lot of the above goes against current thinking but they are my observations!

Ot1

SpiderK

SpiderK

TOPIC -
DATE - 02:54:07 9/16/99
FROM - oldtimer1

CG I just saw your bit further down sorry i missed it before. I think there is no doubt that all that the most potent
varieties of cannabis, psycoactivly speaking come from high altitude areas 30 degrees or closer to the equator.
They all tend to have have the appearance and form of what we would call a sativa type. The tricomes tend to be
small and very close unlike todays hybrid vars. The the highs of these vars are generally very up and energising
when grown in their natural environment. The effect of this does not turn you into a drooling idiot but is
stimulating, provoking laughter, conversation and a general feeling of wellbeing. Sorry if my writing is a bit thick
Iím not very good at it, being dyslexic I never learned to write with a pen as such!

India has a huge variation in plant types, the best grass comes from the south. Kerala being one, it is grown on
steep hill/mountain slopes. The photos in early dope books generally show pictures of the hemp harvest in
lowland fields calling it the cannabis harvest. Take a look in R C Clarke book on hash you will get some real
pictures to delight your eyes. The best hash made in northern India and in fact through out the Himalayas is from
a sativa looking plant native throughout the range. It grows wild just below the snow line and was used to make
real Manali, Butan spice, Nep Temple balls/finger hash and Afghan pucks, it is a very high in thc and thcv. The
type 2 plant we call indica is not thought to be native to the area at all, but imported to meet the demand for hash
by the west at the beginning of the century probably from further north in Turkestan. This was for the large
amounts of resin produced rather that the quality of the high.

Vic Iím not sure if this subject is right for this page please say if not and call time. Ot1

T

Trip8

I app
TOPIC -
DATE - 09:49:28 9/19/99
FROM - oldtimer1

Baudelaire You have given me a lot to think about I just love this its stimulating! The reference to physical
changes and thc/cbd/cbn ratios came from High Times or Sensemilla tips or may be from one of the writers of
books associated with them. I have read most of the magazines and books over the years its hard to remember
which but I seem to remember the university of Mississippi being mentioned if thats any help. As to your
knowledge of how things grow area to area in the states, I cant dispute yours being first hand mine from reading.
As to personal observations matching what I have read Iíll out line them you analyse them for me and maybe we
can get some light from a different perspectives. When I first tried growing here 35 + years ago it was from stash
seed mainly from Africa, Jamaica and a little from south America. Well they did just what you said about the
Mexican in cali except they would be dead by November and would have hardly started flowering. I tried growing
in pots and bringing them under glass, no go they just went longer and made loads of twigs with few calyxes and
the odd white pistils usually hermy to boot. It was crap to smoke and barely potent. A friend of mine at the time
was studying at the glasshouse crop research institute suggested that it was a photo periodic prob [we didnít
know about light hours at the time] and took me to see the darkening system they were developing for
chrysanthemums. He also suggested maybe lights could be used. So about 35 years ago I built my first indoor
flowering cabinet just to finish a plant off. I used growlux tubes over head and down the sides which knowing what
I do now were pretty useless, even so they did the job producing some semi potent if a little green tasting puff. It
took a while to work out 11 hrs light and 13 hrs dark was needed for them to flower properly somewhat different
to todays plants with indica in using 12/12. Any how we got some quite palatable smoke. Looking at it in todays
light the furthest from the equator any of these plants came from was 18 deg and they seem very hard to adapt in
a pure form as even with protection I never produced a viable seed. I have little experience with pure Indicaís.
Depending on who you believe as to its natural range. It is either a lower altitude plant that grew in valley bottoms
in northern Afghanistan that was developed to meet the expanding western demand, or more to my way of
thinking brought by the Bokhara refugees when they fled the Russians in the 1870ís to Afghanistan and Chinese
Turkestan. Either way its centre of adaption would be 35 deg north in the first inst or 40 deg in the second, at
valley altitudes 1500 to 2000 m that would make it fairly well adapted to quite a lot of the USA apart from the
altitude affecting the light spectrum and season length being longer at lower alt!

Most of the seed that provided the genetics for our todays mothers came from American hippies who were
connected with some semi religious commune group devoted to weed. Were crosses made with seed brought
from Afghanistan to sativas and developed field scale in California. These folk used to visit the squat we lived in at
the time! Going back to cally for the autumn harvest and coming back in the new year / spring with sun grown
buds that were pretty dam good and new seeds for me, I have a lot to thank them for! Our stock plants are all
sativa heavy as far as genetics go although not always by looks! We keep our selected lines going as mums, the
longest I have kept a mum alive is 15 years before having to reclone it. All were selected for potent sativa highs
each unique and also for form to suite our growing system. As far as I can tell there has been no deterioration
over the years and the quality is as good now as when grown the first time from seed given the same growing
conditions. Where things seem to change is when growing conditions are changed. We experimented with
lighting using our vars. Using just sodium light the high becomes flat and boring still very strong and the buds
resinous but the structure not as dense. When just grown under a HQI-T MH the quality of the high is a whole lot
better with plenty of up and much more exciting. The bud quality is better but producing 30% less crop weight.
Using a combination of the two lights produces the best bud weight, density and psycoactivly the best high commercial northern lights was included in this test it made little difference to its stone I wonít say high, under
the different light combinations but its best weight came from the sodium alone. We blind tested our var on over
20 smokers saying we were selecting 3 similar plants asking them to select the best as a keeper, non selected
the sodium only, 4 liked the halide best the rest the combination. 50 w per sq ft was used in each cubical the
soil and feed was the same. The same plant it has been grown in a glass conservatory a polytunnel and outside
in a sunny sheltered spot. The plant under lights was selected for being columnar in form. Under glass it
stretched had long gaps between long branches that were lax flopping all over the place the leaves were larger
paler green broader and hanging down. The buds were soft, fluffy and long, they were cut early Nov, There was
little smell or taste, calyxes were large and sparse tricome development. The stone was low down similar to the
sodium grow but nowhere as good. The outdoor grow were tall and wippy small dark green leaves the pistils were
white but the small bud leaves went bright purple at the end of Sep they were cut 10 th of Oct due to continuous
rain causing the start of botritus. The calyxes were tiny as were the tricomes the buds were full of small leaves
that were covered with tricomes as well. Surprisingly this had a lot more up than the crop grown under the
sodium but not as strong over all it beat the under glass crop hands down, but was a bit green tasting to smoke.
The 3 plants grown under the homemade polytunnel was the biggest surprise it was 15 ft high x 15 ft w x 20 ft
long the plants grew sturdy short nodes wide strong branches, by the time they were cut at the end of October
the whole thing was full side to side end to end and protruding out of the end flaps it had to be cut as night frosts
were forecast. The stems at ground level were 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter and the main leaves enormous dark
green hanging down like large hands. The buds were still 90% white but had density and were frosty with
tricomes once again the buds were full of small leaves [they didn't turn purple]! This makes them a nightmare to
trim, indoors this is an easy plant to manicure. They completely filled the attic where they dried them and it
stank the house up for weeks. At the end of the day they got 4.5 lbs of bud and a couple of big boxes of trim. I
know this doesn't compare with Danbos 3 lb per plant but this is the UK not Cal! Oh yes it was strong with a
good complex up high. It still didnít compare with the indoor MH or mixed light product, either for bud quality or
high, But it was still pretty dam good. They were all clones from the same mum and were planted out the third
week in May. I know the growers were different, but I bred and selected the plant and have grown it for 10 years
indoors! When I visited each site, I would not have recognised any as the same one I grow indoors. You certainly
wouldn't recognise them as being the same plant from site to site either they just looked so different in form, leaf
structure and colour. I know a lot of the above goes against current thinking but they are my observations!

Ot1
I appreciate your research. I don't have the time nor the inclination but I love reading this stuff. Thanks for posting it up

SpiderK

SpiderK

TOPIC - Bushy & blend Auction retreads ... etc. etc.
DATE - 20:16:01 10/31/99
FROM - Curious George

BushyOldGrower and blend: Those three packs of haze crosses from the Auction are waiting at H.S. for whichever one
of you takes care of business. B.O.G. asked first, so you guys can work it out via E-.

As for the lack of postings ... there could be many reasons. First and probably foremost is the season ... it's harvest
time and people are very busy and very paranoid. What with the various busts coming down ... it's not surprising that
folks are off their feed.

( By the way, what exactly did happen to Bros. Grimm? There have been mentions of unfortunate doings, but no
details. Where online is that info posted? There was nothing on their website, at least not the last time I looked there. )

On that Durban / Thai cross ... I wish you the best of luck with it Vic, but you know the odds. Haven't seen decent Thai
weed in years, and even then it had slipped in quality. For whatever reason, it was second rate. Pretty enough, tasted
good, but the punch was long gone. Whether increased foreign demand had changed the way it was grown, or where it
was grown ( mountain vs lowlands ) it's hard to say.

Does anyone know of any old Mexican strains being saved by breeders? Most of the bag weed coming from there now
has seeds that look like they've had some indica put into them. Getting pure, hardy, original, sativas is becoming
harder and harder.

What about Jamaica? Has their seedstock been
hybridized yet?

Just curious.

Top Bottom