The Pollen Chuckers Club! Homemade Crosses only...

• Thread starter TheCoolestMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I don't have the time right now but I will be reading this whole thread mmm Mmm!!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Ive seen solid keepers with hollow and also solid stem but With CBD impact on current scene, a little hemp genes shouldn't hurt too much eh.

H

happy b

I was told this by a friend who is a very good breeder and many of you grow his meds.. Look for early trich production on the SAC's, early strong odor and many other things can be a matter of preference like some like short node spacing while others think larger spacing between nodes allows for bigger bud production down the line.. vigor is a big thing with me. How fat is the stem at sex, how healthy is it, how does he smell when I brush the stem.. how hollow is the stem after I collect pollen and cull him to inspect this... good luck, the journey is the fun part bro.
Thanks Quagmire.got any woman tied to your bed?giggady!

H

happy b

What does a hollow stem indicate for you?
iv often wondered that.a few people have said that to me but only one gave a reason saying "woody stems is a trait of industrial hemp".i dont know how much a hollow stem would help but i trust this guys judgement.however i looked at the stems on my goji & they were so hollow that it damaged it wen i squeezed it really gently.sureley that isnt a desirable trait?they stems on the goji,s are without a shadow of a doubt the weakest floppiest stems iv ever encountered in a plant grown straight from seed.iv had to stake them up...and theyr still in veg.not that it bothers me,or doubt it much,im just trying to understand why hollow stems are desirable.

H

happy b

Love all the input and comments, this is how we all learn about this wonderful gifted plant... I was told by the breeder friend that hollow stems can mean better and more nutrient uptake, moisture and plant health.. here is a comment I found in a magazine article... Hollow stems is a sign of a healthy plant. The hollow stems draw moisture and nutes thru-out the plant from what is called capillary action. When I take clones that is one of the things I look for, hollow stems..
So I kept researching this because I wanted to assure we were all getting correct information and found this by D.J. Short on breeding.. this is also his way of selecting males so it will help with your original question..
By D.J. Short.
I generally employ a simple process of elimination while selecting males. First, any auto-flowering or very early-declared males are eliminated. (Auto-flowering means that male flowers form regardless of light cycle timing.) This is mainly to insure against hermaphroditism or unwanted flowering traits, but also as a means to insure quality. The very early declared males have a tendency to be less desirable in terms of their contributions to the quality of the finished product. (If you are trying to specifically create an early-flowering strain, then your priorities may be different.)

Next, any male plant that grows too tall or too fast is usually eliminated. The reason for this is that most plants which dedicate so much energy to fiber production generally are best for making fiber. The exception to this rule is when an over-productive plant also exhibits a number of the desirable characteristics mentioned later.
The next criteria for elimination is borrowed from Michael Starks' book, Marijuana Potency, and involves stem structure. Large, hollow main stems are sought while pith-filled stems are eliminated. Backed by years of observation, I agree that hollow stems do seem to facilitate THC production.
Hope this helps you find the Male you want for breeding.. and remember, this is all about personal preference.. what YOU want to get out of YOUR plant.. so rock on man.. They've always said that the best strongest strains are hidden in peoples private grow rooms.. like yours buddy.. Good Luck
That seems to make perfect sense to me now Glen.oops sorry Quagmire,iv gav away your real name,my bad.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I don't think the stems with pith are bad like Caveman mentioned, imo the plant needs resources to make pith, imo the hollow just means the plant allocates resources to buds and essential oil production, what we want in the end.

zeke

zeke

Hemp fibers are located on the outside of the stem guys. This hollow stem business is an indicator of.........Hollow stems man and they are harder to clone. I've rarely found hollow stems. First strain that I've noticed it on was x-18 from DNA. The hollow stems on that one was an indicator of shit pot that luckily was hard to root, dodged a bullet there for sure.

All the killer old school clone onlys I have must be hempy because they are all solid stemmed. Gdp, Sensi star, trinity, UW, willies, uptown haze, pink panther. All solid stem hemp, damn I got ripped. In my opinion dj short is a bit of a quack. Select for resin smell and potency and always progeny test... Not hoky shit like hollow stems.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Actually it was Michael Stark that made that observation, DJ short quoted him, when you read his book you will also be able to understand that whole chapter and see that this was not necessarily an indicator of bad pot, rather more so an expression of certain genes whose lineage lay in the older hemp strains that have escaped the farmers fields and have since become feral and acclimated to the environment. Hollow stems do not have pith / cellulose, Hemp was also grown and specifically bread for industrial cellulose, not just fiber. So those stems with Pith are also good for cellulose, it is not an indicator of bad Drug cannabis. Some of the large commercial "BUD" strains have a lot of hemp traits because those traits make large robust plants, a lot of the high CBD cultivars have hemp traits, in fact a lot of Hemp cultivars have high CBD. So you have to understand just because it is "THIS" it does not mean it is "THAT" it can definitely be a mixture and still be awesome. It really comes down to what the breeders "idea" is. It must be reiterated at the same time Drug Cannabis typically has hollow stems, it was never selected for any other industrial purpose, it was chosen for it's desirable traits.

Dunge

Dunge

It would be irresponsible for a breeder, whose job it is to observe and select, to not note stem structure.
It's a 'thing', like leaf shape, or trichome density.
Some observables have more logical links to desirability than others.
So I ask again.
How desirable is trichome density?
If we can't agree on this, what chance do we have with stems.
I'd like to hear from growers who have 'low frost' keepers.
Do they exist?
If so, please try to describe your observations.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I would assume if you like THC you like Trichrome density, we can't agree on stems because we all like different things, just like all breeders are different, and all ideas are different. We need not agree in on a diverse subject. Pith filled stems can support a large plant such as Sativa, Hollow stems can exist on a smaller plant with smaller flowers, maybe those flowers on a smaller plant have desirable traits that cannot be achieved on a huge sativa. Just like the Sativa high is different than a Indica, it would be similar to argue and try to agree what high is better indica or sativa the desirable traits are subjective, the desirable traits can be based on fact, but it is one person's interpretation of that fact that makes it a desirable trait to that breeder or individual.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

I
It would be irresponsible for a breeder, whose job it is to observe and select, to not note stem structure.
It's a 'thing', like leaf shape, or trichome density.
Some observables have more logical links to desirability than others.
So I ask again.
How desirable is trichome density?
If we can't agree on this, what chance do we have with stems.
I'd like to hear from growers who have 'low frost' keepers.
Do they exist?
If so, please try to describe your observations.
Ive had several plants that look like nothing can touch them and will be uber potent frost wise. frost doesnt impress me anymore as ive had shwagg sativa looking phenos that had that classic paranoia, blood pumping body vibration high. Cannabanoid combination trumps frost in terms of potency imo.

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

Heres another pheno. Smelled like onion burger. Changing now. slight floral with skunk trying to emerge. Most likely wont keep this one. Looks about half done @ 30 days so far. Crystals dont mean shit to me. Shear strength does .....sorry about blurry pics. I have inner vibrations and body sway . So hard to get it right !

DSC03877
DSC03881
DSC03884
DSC03882

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I

Ive had several plants that look like nothing can touch them and will be uber potent frost wise. frost doesnt impress me anymore as ive had shwagg sativa looking phenos that had that classic paranoia, blood pumping body vibration high. Cannabanoid combination trumps frost in terms of potency imo.
^^Ditto!!
For the win!

Anyone remember years ago co2 guys would say too much co2 all the way through made huge buds with mad crystals BUT hurt potency compared to runs with same everything but taper off co2 after week 5....

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

That would make sense IME, everything I find is a balance, push one thing to far and one thing has to give, I have experienced better quality from smaller more unsuspecting ladies, the big flashy ones always seem to disappoint some how in the long run. ;)
Thats why I love growing from seed, so you guys read about entourage effect right with the oils, just give it some time and they will also prove entourage effect of companion gardening ;^}

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

How does growing from seed affect the entourage effect? Or did I read your post wrong ?
My hypothesis is clone grown in a monogrow will result different then clone grown next to various seed plants....
Entourage effect as I understand it is taking the ecological theory and applying it to flowers oils.
I'm saying the monocrop clone will have a certain set of oils in a certain percentage
And that same clone grown exactly alike except grown next to seed plants instead of fellow clones will have a different set of oils in different percentages

Quagmire

Quagmire

No doubt Canalchemist.. I've had both hard and hollow but did notice the hollow stems rooted clones quicker.. after reading about hollow stems I started checking every plant at harvest for this and was amazed at my AK47 I ran for a few years had fat hollow stems.. some say it makes for better uptake of both water and nutrients.. but we are still learning about this awesome plant day by day..

Latest posts

Top Bottom