The Skunky Dunk farm

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Farmer P

Farmer P

I haven't done a grow without a net for a long time so haven't done a whole plant chop.
I do kind of miss that method but I like keeping my canopy only 2 feet thick.
I used a net too and had a helluva time extricating the plants from it. I'm sure I lost quite a few trichs. I just ordered 400 yards of 30lb. high visibility green fishing line so in the future I will be able to just cut the line and pull it out then re-string my scrogg net.
And congrats on the stellar harvest! 😎

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I thought I would share some observation's of my grow.
I've grown these Sensi Skunk #1 probably a dozen times and have always harvested in less than 10 weeks. The breeder recommends 8 to 9.
This time I went a full 78 days or 11 full weeks.

The Skunky overtones are here this time!
Of course those sweet aromas are pungent as well.

Nearly rancent on 1 plant. Of course nothing is dried yet but I think these terps will stay through cure.
I hope so.

I always get a bountiful harvest from this strain, but again the extra week gave us some unbelievable bulk!
A 19 and a half week grow total from seed.
This will be a record harvest for us, and that is saying something.
I can't wait to get a total weight!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I love you grow man! I just wanted to throw out a suggestion, I have always hang dried, like for decades. A couple finishes ago I went to “my herbs now” (name is laughable I know) dryers. I bought three of them with extra shelves to help with my outdoor harvest. I was simply shook by the results. 96 hours and I had perfectly dried flower. I tossed it all in jars as always and I have yet to have such a perfect cure. I have since used it every harvest. I make sure I have a delta in my room so the machines can work properly (lower temp higher humidity) and have had continued success. I mention this because after reading through 7 pages I see you have most of your grow nicely locked down. Drying and curing is often the biggest pia. This has made my life so much better, and takes up so much less space. I just suggest you check them out . I went all in and got the “gangster” package. I was desperate for a solution at the time and have been really happy with the product. If you have seen any of my posts you know I am not afraid to speak the truth about my experiences with different companies.

Have you ever tried using one of the standard food dehydrators on the market?

@SkunkyDunk the harvest looks great. I am glad you got your skunky aromas from this harvest. I do enjoy those skunky terps myself, and I am glad you found them by waiting a bit longer. I usually aim for a 70 day harvest, so anything quicker is a pleasant surprise.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Thanks SG,
Yeah, the food dehydrator's I have don't ave temp control so wouldn't work well for our meds. But,, I was thinking a guy could add a PWM controller perhaps and make one work.

And I took a chance on a breeder from Oregon called Nature Farm and ordered a pack of their Vago Skunk.
Hoping for a surprise!

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Thanks SG,
Yeah, the food dehydrator's I have don't ave temp control so wouldn't work well for our meds. But,, I was thinking a guy could add a PWM controller perhaps and make one work.

And I took a chance on a breeder from Oregon called Nature Farm and ordered a pack of their Vago Skunk.
Hoping for a surprise!
I saw those guys also, I was interested in the SkunkDub they offer. It sounds like a good option for finding those old school flavors and aromas, using the U Dub and the Skunk #18. I am looking forward to seeing how yours come out. I may have mentioned it before but look into Duke Diamonds Vault and Dominion Seed Company, they are both Duke Diamond's projects and he is almost always looking for those old school skunky terps.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Crossing more overbred plants will never bring back the real skunk in my opinion.

If it could we would already have it.

Buying seeds from these marketing ploys is all that is happening. Hype sells!
So I keep seeing. But at this point in time the market has moved past those flavor and scent profiles so they are not really coming from new stock. So at that, the only chance of finding them is going through the current crosses out there and hoping those traits are unlocked in a special plant somewhere. Today's market is all about hype and promotion, but even in those over hyped crosses there is the chance of finding something special.

While there are some people out there preserving old varieties I have a tough time calling a lot of those landrace varieties. Even in the ancestral homes of many of those landrace varieties those farmers are not necessarily using the pure landraces they once did; the Amsterdam and American seed markets have taken hold and a lot of growers are using the newer varieties. So to try and go back to landrace varietals and blend them until we get those old school flavors and aromas is also an unlikely way to get what we all want, those roadkill skunky terps.

So I am personally happy to search through all the hype to hopefully find something that makes me happy.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I keep seeing. But at this point in time the market has moved past those flavor and scent profiles so they are not really coming from new stock. So at that, the only chance of finding them is going through the current crosses out there and hoping those traits are unlocked in a special plant somewhere. Today's market is all about hype and promotion, but even in those over hyped crosses there is the chance of finding something special.

While there are some people out there preserving old varieties I have a tough time calling a lot of those landrace varieties. Even in the ancestral homes of many of those landrace varieties those farmers are not necessarily using the pure landraces they once did; the Amsterdam and American seed markets have taken hold and a lot of growers are using the newer varieties. So to try and go back to landrace varietals and blend them until we get those old school flavors and aromas is also an unlikely way to get what we all want, those roadkill skunky terps.

So I am personally happy to search through all the hype to hopefully find something that makes me happy.

All the “landraces” and “pure sativas” i see on grows online from companies like ace are also just rebred hybrids.

Its not just the flavor of the month anymore its the label of the month.

I get the pleasure of the journey thing but chasing the impossible feels just like religion to me.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Honestly I would be looking in cheese strains to find the old skunk (but I agree that it's most likely gone) that's the only whiff I've gotten of the real skunk#1 from everything I've grown in the few years I've been back and it wasn't anything strong but it was the same smell

The freebie was called Super Cheese but they've since change the name if I recall but yeah it was the real smell, albeit extremely faint

Edit: I guess they didn't change the name? Here's Bergman talkin about it

https://www.ilovegrowinginvalid.com/super-cheese/

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Honestly I would be looking in cheese strains to find the old skunk (but I agree that it's most likely gone) that's the only whiff I've gotten of the real skunk#1 from everything I've grown in the few years I've been back and it wasn't anything strong but it was the same smell

The freebie was called Super Cheese but they've since change the name if I recall but yeah it was the real smell, albeit extremely faint

Edit: I guess they didn't change the name? Here's Bergman talkin about it

I used to have the Exodus Cheese cut back in the day and I loved it and it definitely had a skunky smell, but it was much more cheesy than skunky, plus it did have an evident sweetness as well. Maybe if the UK Cheese was crossed with some of these "old school" revivals it may come out, but it is not really where I would start. Don't get me wrong, I love the UK Cheese and I would love to have my old cut back but I don't really see the roadkill aroma coming from those genetics.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I used to have the Exodus Cheese cut back in the day and I loved it and it definitely had a skunky smell, but it was much more cheesy than skunky, plus it did have an evident sweetness as well. Maybe if the UK Cheese was crossed with some of these "old school" revivals it may come out, but it is not really where I would start. Don't get me wrong, I love the UK Cheese and I would love to have my old cut back but I don't really see the roadkill aroma coming from those genetics.

Agreed the cheese is not the same as the skunk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom