The Skunky Dunk farm

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Howdy all, I've been creeping around here for awhile and finally registered recently.
So,,,, im not a new grower by any stretch, been doin it since the early 70's in Cali.
Any of you old guys (gals) remember growing under T12's?
Anyhow, I started a thread in the wrong sub forum about my grow and want to begin here now even though I'm 5 weeks into my Skunk #1 grow.
I really love some of the old Mexican we used to get when it was good and then in the 80's when the first Skunks started to show up from domestic farmers, oh it was so good.
I do like the older strains, the smells and flavors were, well delicious.
I really hate the 15 minute Buzz from the dispensary "kind" offerings.
So this will be my grow diary, I usually don't do the newest and greatest strains because, well I've not been real impressed.
Maybe it's because I'm old? I can't get the "high" anymore?
No, I guess I just like the old genetics.

5 weeks into my organic indoor grow.

The skunky dunk farm
The skunky dunk farm 2
The skunky dunk farm 3
The skunky dunk farm 4
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
So I wanted to explain my setup as it has taken me years to settle on a system that produces greatly the flowers I'm seeking for our meds.

What the wife and I have built is a 8' wide X 12' long x 11' high room.
We've installed an 6' light rail (Guala) and hung 2 modified Sun Systems Magnum XXXL 6 reflectors. Each reflector has an additional socket mounted perpendicular to the stock socket at opposite ends so each reflector has a 600 watt HPS and a 600 watt MH conversion bulb.
Then each bulb has an appropriate Sun Systems light diffuser on them.
This allows us to get them about 18" from the canopy.
This gives us 1200 watts per reflector.
These are set with a 35 second delay at each end of travel on the rail.
During veg the MH bulbs are on 24-7 but we stagger the HPS bulbs, 1 comes on for 3 1/2 hours then later the second one comes on for 3 1/2 hours. This happens 3 times during the day.
Then during flower we reverse this by running the HPS bulbs for 12 hours then stagger the MH bulbs in 4 1/2 hour intervals.
Our thinking on this is the fall sky has more red light so it kind of has a sunrise and sunset spectrum then the MH bulbs simulate the noon sky with more blues.
These reflectors are kept about

The reflectors are vented by a 6" Fantech fan pulling through charcoal filter.
Then the room itself is vented by pulling through another matching fan and filter.
Then a couple 9" fans blowing under the canopy.

We soil grow from seed every grow and use Fox Farm HP and OF in a 50 50 mix.
This is placed in a Smart Pot 6' long bag which holds 7 bags of soil.

Nutes are guano teas, sea kelp and micronutrients in a molasses brew.

We always run a minimum of 7 weeks veg, that's after 2 weeks of seedling stage so actually minimum of 9 weeks from sprouts.
We try to keep the temps under 75* with lights on and 65* with lights out by adjusting fan speeds.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
So I wanted to explain my setup as it has taken me years to settle on a system that produces greatly the flowers I'm seeking for our meds.

What the wife and I have built is a 8' wide X 12' long x 11' high room.
We've installed an 6' light rail (Guala) and hung 2 modified Sun Systems Magnum XXXL 6 reflectors. Each reflector has an additional socket mounted perpendicular to the stock socket at opposite ends so each reflector has a 600 watt HPS and a 600 watt MH conversion bulb.
Then each bulb has an appropriate Sun Systems light diffuser on them.
This allows us to get them about 18" from the canopy.
This gives us 1200 watts per reflector.
These are set with a 35 second delay at each end of travel on the rail.
During veg the MH bulbs are on 24-7 but we stagger the HPS bulbs, 1 comes on for 3 1/2 hours then later the second one comes on for 3 1/2 hours. This happens 3 times during the day.
Then during flower we reverse this by running the HPS bulbs for 12 hours then stagger the MH bulbs in 4 1/2 hour intervals.
Our thinking on this is the fall sky has more red light so it kind of has a sunrise and sunset spectrum then the MH bulbs simulate the noon sky with more blues.
These reflectors are kept about

The reflectors are vented by a 6" Fantech fan pulling through charcoal filter.
Then the room itself is vented by pulling through another matching fan and filter.
Then a couple 9" fans blowing under the canopy.

We soil grow from seed every grow and use Fox Farm HP and OF in a 50 50 mix.
This is placed in a Smart Pot 6' long bag which holds 7 bags of soil.

Nutes are guano teas, sea kelp and micronutrients in a molasses brew.

We always run a minimum of 7 weeks veg, that's after 2 weeks of seedling stage so actually minimum of 9 weeks from sprouts.
We try to keep the temps under 75* with lights on and 65* with lights out by adjusting fan speeds.
Welcome to The Farm!!
Liking your grow style and memories of the strains from back in the 80s. I to am on the same quest as you sir:)

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
We gave our last N boost today. All other feedings will only use bloom teas.

I guess I could elaborate a little more about our soil grow.
As stated above we use a 50/50 mix of Fox Farm OF and HF for our base soil.
We fill a Smart Pot 6 ft. Long Bag with this mix, which holds 7 bags. Water in well in a no runoff tray.
Because of such bulk soil (12.5 cu. ft.) It never gets a chance to get saturated in salts or lock up.
This bag gets 3 week old seedlings set in it with mycos in the hole for 6 weeks of veg.
Second watering I begin my guano regiment.
We feed guano teas almost every watering up until about a week from harvest. They are dilute teas, usually 1 to 1 1/2 tbs per gallon aerated 48 hours.
I amend this every third watering with Nature's Solution Sea Kelp and Earth Juice Micro blast.
Also twice I'll hit with light Epsom salt, once in veg and once at third week of flower.
We have 7 guano varieties we switch around in our teas!
Oh and did I mention the standard carb boost, blackstrap molasses.
With 2400 watts of HID power on our light mover , 2 oscillating fans blowing over the canopy and two 9 in fans blowing over the top of the bag we can water every 2 days with the soil drying out 2 to 3 inches deep.
I love walking around our room and seeing root tips growing out of the bag everywhere!
So anywho, that's our soil setup.
It may seem like a lot of soil to discard?
We have a vegetable garden out back that's 30 x 40 and is probably 30% Fox Farm from our 6 years here! The tomatoes are sooo sweet!

This is 5 plants.

20191207 082034
Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Love the grow man ! I’m sure I’ll steal ideas from your experience to! Oldskool the way to roll! As @MIMedGrower has said multiple times ! Love that old school smell and taste!
Sometimes ya just want to ask kids are you smoking pot, or a bag of lemons? , or wait is that pine bark yet burnin ! Lol definitely following along

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I'm dropping a pack of beans today.
Sensi Seeds Maple Leaf Indica.

Also, in preparation for the next go I ordered a 12 pack of Elev8's Bruce Banner #3 today.
They come with a couple freebies, feminised from Barry's Farm. Peyote Critical and Tropicana Bannana.
Never done any fem plants before and don't plan on starting now. My boys will grow them though!

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Well, im down to 7 seedlings from the Maple Leaf Indica.
I went to my son's yesterday to run 220v to his new grow room and was gone all day and by time I made it home two of my sprouts dried up.
So out of 10 beans, I had 10 sprouts. I broke one off and 2 dries up. DAMN!

On a brighter note, my Skunk #1 is 117 days old today. And 53 days into flower.
I've got a couple flower samples drying now and am looking forward to a taste.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Howdy all, I've been creeping around here for awhile and finally registered recently.
So,,,, im not a new grower by any stretch, been doin it since the early 70's in Cali.
Any of you old guys (gals) remember growing under T12's?
Anyhow, I started a thread in the wrong sub forum about my grow and want to begin here now even though I'm 5 weeks into my Skunk #1 grow.
I really love some of the old Mexican we used to get when it was good and then in the 80's when the first Skunks started to show up from domestic farmers, oh it was so good.
I do like the older strains, the smells and flavors were, well delicious.
I really hate the 15 minute Buzz from the dispensary "kind" offerings.
So this will be my grow diary, I usually don't do the newest and greatest strains because, well I've not been real impressed.
Maybe it's because I'm old? I can't get the "high" anymore?
No, I guess I just like the old genetics.

5 weeks into my organic indoor grow.
Good luck, following along! I've tried often to tell people that the old stuff was much better than what they think is the "fire" these days but you know kids ;) lol

This is Columbian Gold Bud I had back in 1976, wish I had those big black seeds now!
20190609 102713

Top Bottom