The Skunky Dunk farm

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mancorn

mancorn

Sooo,,, that gummy adventure is a bust.
All was good untill I added powdered sugar at the end to coat them and it turn to syrup.
Hmmm. Next recipe!

Try using a sanding sugar (or large granular) after letting the gummy setup. Sanding sugar has large crystals so won't soak up the moisture. (I mold, wait 30 min, refrig for 30 min, dry for 1-2 hours, and then sugar. If I sugar right away, it melts into the gummy).
Gelobites

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

I will try that!
I think my problem was I used agar.
I don't have any experience with agar. But the vast majority of gummy receipts I see online suggest boiling or microwaving, which breaks apart the gelatin strands and keeps them from reforming. Gelatin shouldn't be heated above 140F (and needs to be cooked between 120-140). I've also found it's important to weigh the gelatin as opposed to using volume. As 2 tablespoons of Knox isn't the same as 2 tablespoon of another gel. I would assume it's the same with the agar.

Stella Culinary has some really good videos on gelatin: https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-videos/food-science-101/fs-003-guide-gelatin. He also has a guide on agar (if you're a vegan and need to use it.) https://stellaculinary.com/ingredients/hydrocolloids/agar.

Edit: was just watching the agar video and it "blooms" much different that gelatin: "The typical hydration procedure for agar is to first dissolve it into the liquid you want to gel by whisking, bringing the liquid to a simmer, and simmering for 4 minutes. At the end of four minutes, blend for 15-30 seconds using an immersion blender, strain, and allow to set." He goes on to say that "Agar gels will “weep” or “leak liquid,” causing the gel to dehydrate and not perform as expected..." if not hydrated properly. Which sounds real similar to the problem you had.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Is this LED burn?

I have no led experience so i was hesitant to comment. But i have noticed that while healthy your plants have looked thick and droopy more than up and open. If its just too strong light (I had this problem dialing in veg with a 315 cmh in a 3x3) maybe raise it up some more. I needed the same height as my 600 hps in the 4x4 for that 315, 4 feet over the canopy moved down inches as the leaves looked happy with it. Ending at 18” with mature flowering plants.

Just for comparisons sake. I would think you can just dim them right?

basscaptain

basscaptain

I have no led experience so i was hesitant to comment. But i have noticed that while healthy your plants have looked thick and droopy more than up and open. If its just too strong light (I had this problem dialing in veg with a 315 cmh in a 3x3) maybe raise it up some more. I needed the same height as my 600 hps in the 4x4 for that 315, 4 feet over the canopy moved down inches as the leaves looked happy with it. Ending at 18” with mature flowering plants.

Just for comparisons sake. I would think you can just dim them right?
+1

Latest posts

Top Bottom