The Trasher's Sunny Corner of Dank

• Thread starter Trash_2002
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BillyBanchan

TA Nova Max bloom has Humic Acid in it already as a additional chelator.
Peat/Perlite has a better CEC than coco, in theory it should hold more and also exchange more cal/mag also other macro-micro nutrients. But i start to think that the LEDs grows needing more cal/mag supplementation is true, principally with almost soft tap water.

In common:
LEDs
Soft water
Kissing-cousin mediums

As I changed out my res yesterday, I somewhat waffled over my CalMg strength as GH Flora has some. My research showed that coco needs it badly so that's why I went for a full mix.

But wait there's more! 😀

I came from HPS, albeit decades ago, and began recently with LEDs. I had no clue they were that much of an influence. By looks, mine have super small indications they want more.

Super timely post, and thank you so much for explaining it so nicely.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

here’s the man with all your answers..View attachment 1992143
Took a read here with my gf Kindle, pretty easy reading book.
Covers good info about:
VPD
DLI
PPFD
Witch are all pretty much properly dialed in here, I rule out environment cause it's very good indeed.

Lights on @650ppfd
Canopy air temp 25-27c
LST 23-25c
VPD 0.9-1.1kpa
RH 50-60%

Lights off
18-22c
VPD ? Should be low kpa considering air temp and probable leaf temp.
RH 55-65%

And he doesn't say much specific about cal/mg supplement, but clearly says LED's with VPD and ppfd dialed in needs more EC, in general, interesting and seems logic to me.

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

In common:
LEDs
Soft water
Kissing-cousin mediums

As I changed out my res yesterday, I somewhat waffled over my CalMg strength as GH Flora has some. My research showed that coco needs it badly so that's why I went for a full mix.

But wait there's more! 😀

I came from HPS, albeit decades ago, and began recently with LEDs. I had no clue they were that much of an influence. By looks, mine have super small indications they want more.

Super timely post, and thank you so much for explaining it so nicely.

Yep coco relies more on calcium and magnesium to buffer the media and be stable.
But even than I've made like 4-5 pure coco runs with HPS without any added calcium & magnesium, used liquid GH flora Duo for some runs and powder GH maxi grow/Bloom for other, all went pretty damn good zero deficiencies/lockout the whole cycles.

It really seems like modern led full spectrum bars lm301 diodes makes plants more needy for some different nutrients.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
if you purchased the book either way, i’m pretty sure you can connect with him for further updates, which i think there’s already been one..
john is good friends with bubbleman..

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

John answer:

"Food food, plants under LEDs are like Olympic athletes, they require more food"

"Yes I always use extra cal/mag with LEDs lights too"

😉

B

BillyBanchan

Could you tell us more about humic/fulvic acid? Why it's used and how it's bought and used? I never heard about these until here.......thank you...

From my readings, humic acid helps with nutrient uptake, medium buffering/cation exchange. Some report better root structure? 🤔 Lots of variables, though, for that.

Fulvic seems a bit more mysterious, but same benefits... Roots and nutrient uptake.

Coco has been a interesting learning curve for sure! Those of us coming back from the 90s have a lot to catch up on 😂.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
From my readings, humic acid helps with nutrient uptake, medium buffering/cation exchange. Some report better root structure? 🤔 Lots of variables, though, for that.

Fulvic seems a bit more mysterious, but same benefits... Roots and nutrient uptake.

Coco has been a interesting learning curve for sure! Those of us coming back from the 90s have a lot to catch up on 😂.

No doubt. And we need to know how to get them, amounts to use, how, when.....

Apparently it means becoming more knowledgeable about buffering and cation exchange.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Also its a natural chelator, helps unbound soil/media of Phosphorous and make it more available to plants, it contains a lot of carbon witch helps feed microherd in media and revitalize soil/media life in general.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Cheese Riders Clones Transplanted @250ppfd
25-26c
RH 60-65%

Presoaked media:
GH Floranova Grow 650uS - PH 6.2
Great White 1 tsp /20L

Cheese riders clones

B

BillyBanchan

No doubt. And we need to know how to get them, amounts to use, how, when.....

Apparently it means becoming more knowledgeable about buffering and cation exchange.

To keep from trashing Trash's GroJo, I'll start a thread in the ferts and nutes forum. 😉

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Even with 90CRI diodes the LEDs ~3500k cct also cause false colors to our eyes/white balanced camera with LEDs, with HPS is much worse tho. But what i mean is, with lights on LED's have a false light shade of green too.

So to get a better actual reading on your plants you have to take a lights off flash on photo, otherwise you can't see clearly what's really there color wise.

I take from this they are in need for some magnesium, and look kinda hungry overall. Also "fried" a little with the lights.
Lights at (80%) 500-550ppfd @ canopy probably was too much from start, next run i will go (60%) 400-450ppfd first week after transplant to flower, (80%) 500-650ppfd weeks 2-3 flowering, than 750ppfd 4th week flowering to finally (100%) 900ppfd at the end of week 4 and will up the feedings together with the ppfd as usual.
Will be also half recommended dose Cal/Mag supplementing from the start next run, my bottle is arriving today by courier, store was dry of it.

Lights OFF Flash ON photos

PWRs
Pwr light off flash on

CDs
Cd light off flash on

tomorrow i post better phots with lights on after feeding them.
cheers
T

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

14 Days Flower@600-650ppfd

Let's see if the theory that plants under LED's need more food is true, the potassium deficiency/lockout stopped already.
Some little tip burn still there but doesn't look like overfeed, this tip burn looks different not something i've deal with before, it's "rusty" looking and a bit larger than a start of overfed tip burn. Maybe was caused by too much light at transition cause new leaves doesn't show it, still investigating the true cause.

Feed:
GH Calimagic EC 200uS
TA Novamax Bloom EC 1600uS
AN Big Bud EC 150uS
Total EC 2000uS PH 6.2

PWR's

Pwr 14 days

CD's

Cd 14 days

Last edited:
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

A great setup and some beautiful plants you have there. 👍
Kind of a bumpy road switching to LED's for flowering tho, but i'm gonna get it dialed in, we are persistent. 😎
This is the lab test run LOL
Went with two genetics im familiar with and did multiple HPS harvests with and still got some bumps.
LED's are a different kind of animal, very strong lights that's for sure.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
14 Days Flower@600-650ppfd

Let's see if the theory that plants under LED's need more food is true, the potassium deficiency/lockout stopped already.
Some little tip burn still there but doesn't look like overfeed, this tip burn looks different not something i've deal with before, it's "rusty" looking and a bit larger than a start of overfed tip burn. Maybe was caused by too much light at transition cause new leaves doesn't show it, still investigating the true cause.

Feed:
GH Calimagic EC 200uS
TA Novamax Bloom EC 1600uS
AN Big Bud EC 150uS
Total EC 2000uS PH 6.2

PWR's

View attachment 1993762

CD's

View attachment 1993761
Looking real nice

Latest posts

Top Bottom