The Under Current Hydroponic System

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

Has anyone looked into chiller sizing for this system?

We have a knockoff setup now and they're running 71-72*, higher than I'd like to see as we've had issues with rot in the past.

Would like a chiller that has a heater as well (suggestions?) seems like a small 1/4hp (less?) would work but I wanted to get an idea from someone who's done it.

4 tanks @ 27 gallon capacity (but maybe half filled?)
27g resevoir
5-6* ambiant drop
600gph pump

I did the equation and it seemed a 2.5 ton would be fine - Can anyone confirm?

Here is a modular chiller that you can add a heater and UV sterilizer to.

wings123

wings123

how do you guys think the uder current would compare to a mpb system, one better than the other, this seems like it might be a little more simple to set up and run?

When i start doing the math and adding up the time it may make sense to buy one.
I did something similar though with hydro farms .
i used 1" drain line and gromets from an aeroflow for the drain side and I took the drip ring and put it in the bottom bucket just below the top on 1/2" tubing with an ellbo goining out the fill level tube hole.1050 gph pump to 24 buckets and a chiller, was awesome but could flood so I went back to coco ,as at the time I didnt realise how easy float switches are to use/wire up.

TK hit me up mang maybe we could go in on the 8" hole saw ,or maybe i can get a piece of scrap pipe and sharpen it a lil, weld a plate on one side and blamo a die
guys found this hole cutter link on another site. Very clean cut
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11196
and another more expensive but nice
http://www.comfortgurus.com/images/hc1.jpg

J

Jalisco Kid

Has anyone looked into chiller sizing for this system?

We have a knockoff setup now and they're running 71-72*, higher than I'd like to see as we've had issues with rot in the past.

Would like a chiller that has a heater as well (suggestions?) seems like a small 1/4hp (less?) would work but I wanted to get an idea from someone who's done it.

4 tanks @ 27 gallon capacity (but maybe half filled?)
27g resevoir
5-6* ambiant drop
600gph pump

I did the equation and it seemed a 2.5 ton would be fine - Can anyone confirm?

Something that small a 1/3 hp would be fine with some wiggle room built in. JK

L

LEBDOG

old thread... whats the verdict on the system then?

IMO (and many others).
RDWC is the best way to grow huge nug trees. RDWC may require vertical lighting as that's the best way to yield, but you can run in a traditional overhead lighting manner with a good canopy cleanup during early flower. This thread really opened my eyes to the power of RDWC!

J

Jalisco Kid

jalisco, you ever grow in coco?
I am growing in a chow mix right now. I used to get real chunky coir and mix it with another that had long hairs in it. I ended up with some nasty bugs from that manufacturer. Now I am using a 70/30 hydroton/coir mix.
Since my back is shot I wish I could figure out a way to run 100% perlite but the runs I have tried I lost weight on so I go with whats works best for me now. If I had an 18 year old back I would use 1.5" lava rock. JK

B

brookstown

Any tips on running Coco? I'm currently in transition to coco, and using the HG full line of aqua flakes with Cal mag but need some advice on how to get to the next level. I want the coco for the flavor but need to be more productive. What's the benefit of the rock? air? I'm using chunky perlite with coco. Any ideas? Would it be ok if I PM'd you

J

Jalisco Kid

I have no problem with anyone pm'ing me.
What brand of perlite are you using? There is a backorder on big and chunky and the only other brand I see is a brand called Mother natures or something like that. It is a very gritty perlite which makes it hard to wash,it crushes easy. The perlite turns to crap in the buckets. While big and chunky I put in 45 gal trash can, hose it down, and use a large speggitti strainer to pull it out of the water. This stufff turns to dust which just settles to the bottom of the trash can.
How are you using to keep the coir in the buckets? JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Bucket liners

I earlier told people I used that material that they use to cover seeded beds. Well 5 runs later or so I have found a better product. I bought it at an upolstery supplier. It is used to wrap foam in. I buy it by the linear foot.It comes in 3' and 5' wide sheets. I then cut it to fit the buckets. It is about 2" thick. I then split it in 1 half, then pull that into 2 pieces. this is slow work but easy work. I made enough for 32 buckets one night while watching a basketball. Once the buckets are full I use a butane pencil torch or a soldering gun to poke small holes in the material,not needed but I try and help my girls all I can.
It is totally inert and hypoallergenic and cost about 35 bucks for 32 buckets.
JK

S

SomeoneYouKnow

What brand of perlite are you using? There is a backorder on big and chunky and the only other brand I see is a brand called Mother natures or something like that. It is a very gritty perlite which makes it hard to wash,it crushes easy. The perlite turns to crap in the buckets.

I second that.

The Perlite (Big and Chunky by FoxFarm) is the ONLY brand to use if you are going to use a 100% perlite mixture.

The other stuff is crap and as JK already pointed out, turns to skuff pretty quick.

SYK

P

Punk

I am going to give the 16xl with 8 gal pots a shot. But with horizontal lighting with 1000w per 4 plants. Going to use adjust a wings sence that is what I already have.

Been rocking the multiflow for years, figured time to try something new.

GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
i posted tis in another thread but this looks like the spot... im tryna figure out if i got the purpose of this down, uc sounds interesting to me....

Is the only thing different in a uc system the convenience of a reservoir? what else is different than a regular dwc bucket, i mean you got all your nutrients constantly available and the roots are being oxegenated do to air pumps in both types of systems, so what is different besides the ease of a current of water keeping your nutient mix the same in all your buckets?
ALSO- why not put the water pump on a timer in a uc system so it only pumps for a limited time every hour or so, this might alleviate the need for a chiller and still keep the nute solution mixed equaly throughout all your buckets....

M

Medicalneeds

I was thinking the same thing !
If I ran the pump 10 min per hour maybe a chiller wouldnt be needed ? I ran two 27 gal deep water bubblers with a 600 in a closet last season. I ran flora nova bloom 1 part and never metered the whole run with a 1/2 lb harvest. The growth blew me away , this was my first dwc . Im considering a 4-6 tote undercurrent on 2600 watts in a 11x7x8 sealed room with bottled co2 . Just bought a 110 liter pump and two 1000 watt sealed hoods . Im really stoked about this system. Thanks for everyone sharing knowledge. You guys rock.

L

lifecycle

the chiller is the key to the whole system, without it, it gets ugly...67kid

S

Spacecadet01

as life cycel said..chiller is key. Without it all your doing is iviting problems.

M

Medicalneeds

Thanks for the heads up ! lloks like 27 gallon bubblers this run ! I depleted my garden fund . Maybe a minisplit and chiller next time . I really want to run a undercurrent system. The growth looks incredible and with a plant limit and small grow area , well you know im jealous. I mounted my window ac and may pull off a sealed room with 4 27 gallon dwc bubblers on 2ooo watts. 2 plants per light should rock ! Looks like insulation day tomorrow.

Top Bottom